Health & Family My low carb weight loss journal (LCHF)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 5th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

What you are talking about is carbohydrate tolerance which is a real genetically based thing.

Carbohydrate tolerance: Is your ability to eat carbs determined by your genes? | Precision Nutrition

I am fairly carb tolerant. I haven't measured how much but if I steer clear of wheat flour and refined sugar, I can eat as much as I feel comfortable eating and still lose weight. If I eat some flour and refined sugar, I can still maintain weight and appetite is under control. However, if I start eating too much sugar and wheat flour, I get really, really hungry and also feel tired all the time. I know exactly how this feels "I know that for myself, the more carbs I have, the more hungry I get". Eating actually makes me feel hungry and it is a never-ending spiral of eat/hunger/eat/hunger.

My go to for additional fibre is sweet potato. The key is to cook them and cool them before eating though. When some starches have been cooked, cooling them (fridge or freezer) changes the structure and makes it more resistant to digestion; found in cooked and cooled potatoes, grains, and beans. This actually lowers the calorie content of the food.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-resistant-starch/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/resistant-starch-your-questions-answered/

When I eat cooked/cooled sweet potato with coconut oil, I don't have any of the symptoms of low fibre.

With regard to carb intake, have seen this from Mark's Daily Apple? I think it's a good diagrammatic representation of different levels of carb intake:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/

Redwing, roots73 and paulF like this.
  2. roots73

roots73 Well-Known Member

First up - congratulations @Simon Hampel, that was not a small feat!
    Second, I found that doing a short but intense session every day will give you lots of benefits - energy, mental focus, digestive health, metabolism boost etc.
    'Intense' is, of course, subjective and dependent on your fitness level.
    I find these guys' videos a great place to start: FitnessBlender

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Perthguy

I need to start doing that again. I quit when I was renovating nearly every day but that is coming to an end. I miss exercise.

legallyblonde and roots73 like this.
  4. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to comment on this for a few days, but I've been travelling a bit in the last week...

The first thing that I'd suggest is getting more anal with tracking food intake. People tend to underreport what they consume, in some cases by 30% or so. Try spending a week weighing and logging everything, and also track the calories / kilojoules.

Weight loss is governed by total calories in versus total energy expenditure. Low carb, fasting, and many other approaches, are simply dietary hacks to achieve this with minimal discomfort to the individual. It's possible that you're eating around maintenance, and that's why you're not losing anything.

Assuming that all is good, it's possibly a stall. These happen.

There's a theory I've heard, which is that as fat cells empty, they fill with water to maintain volume. At some point they let this go, and you see a sudden drop on the scale. I had one of these last week, where I was suddenly a kilo lighter than I had been.

If things are on point, consider reducing how much you eat, or increase the exercise you're doing.

That said, you're down nearly 40 kg from your heaviest. That's impressive going. :)

Propagate and MTR like this.
  5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

So, past few weeks I've been weight training and have approximately doubled my daily intake of food (~20,000 kilojoules). Still getting approx 70% of energy from fats.

I did the same many years ago when I was eating carbs. Have to say, it's a lot tougher this time around — thought it would be easier as high fat = less volume of food but it's quite the opposite.

6. Perthguy

interesting read:

Why “Calories in, Calories Out” Doesn't Tell The Whole Story

Different foods go through different metabolic pathways. Some foods can cause hormone changes that encourage weight gain, while other foods can increase satiety and boost the metabolic rate.

Why “Calories in, Calories Out” Doesn't Tell The Whole Story

Simon Hampel, paulF and Redwing like this.
  7. Perthguy

And calorie counts are probably wrong anyway:

Science Reveals Why Calorie Counts Are All Wrong

[Infographic] The Surprising Problem With Calorie Counting -- The "Calories In" Edition.

Make no mistake, the principles of energy balance work:

Take in more calories/energy than you expend, you gain weight.
    Take in fewer calories/energy than you expend, you lose weight.

However, counting calories as a way to try to know, and control, your energy intake is fundamentally — sometimes hopelessly — flawed.

For starters, you can’t really trust that the calorie (and macronutrient) numbers you see on food packages are accurate. You see, the way they’re calculated — if they’re calculated at all — is surprisingly imprecise.
    Something really interesting with calories is that preparing food certain ways can lower it's calorie count. Cook sweet potatoes or rice, cool (refrigerate), then serve (even if you heat it again) and these foods have less calories then cooked and served.

Simple rice-cooking hack could reduce calories by 60 per cent
    Cooking rice with a teaspoon of coconut oil then refrigerating it for 12 hours more than halves the number of calories absorbed by the body, scientists have shown

Simple rice-cooking hack could reduce calories by 60 per cent

8. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

@Perthguy counting calories might be flawed, but I still think that it's a useful tool. Even Kris Grunnars agrees. :)

If @Simon Hampel turned out to be eating (say) 3500 kcal per day, it might explain why his weight is static. If he's consuming 2500 kcal, there might be something else going on. Sure, the measurement might be flawed, but it gives a rough order of magnitude of what someone is consuming.

The idea was to throw it in as another check, rather than to get anal about tracking things everyday.

@Steven Ryan do you need to be eating that much? I'm pretty big (about 190 cm, 100 kg), and would probably bulk on no more than 16,000 kJ. Unless you are The Mountain's bigger brother, you're running the risk of adding a lot of fat along with the muscle.

9. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Small adaptations over time is often best for quality long term results.

10. Perthguy

Calorie counting can be somewhat useful if people are well aware of the limitations. I have found that people are very happy to push CICO but not happy to explain the limitations of calorie counting, which is why I posted the links.

11. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

Calorie counting is an approximation based on a variety of estimates. It's not particularly accurate, but it can work.

The trouble I find is that some people say, "Don't count calories!" So you ask them what you should do instead, and they get rather vague at that point. :p

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Apparently the liver will give priority to processing the alcohol first

13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Another thing to keep in mind with CICO is the TEF(Thermic effect of food) which is the amount of energy that the body expends digesting, absorbing, and distributing the nutrients from the foods we eat.

Protein has a TEF of 25-35%, Carbs 5-10% and fat 0-5% which means eating a high protein meal will get your body to burn a lot more calories then when eating Carbs or Fat.
    So if you eat 100 calories of fat, the body would use only use 0-5 calories to digest that fat, but if you had 100 calories of protein, the body will be using 20-30 calories to digest that Protein.

So your net calories gain consuming Protein is a lot lower. Might not sound like much at the start but compounding will make up a massive difference at the end of the week->month->year

14. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I think it's important that everybody has a reasonable understanding of calorie content in the foods and drinks they consume.
    The majority of the population would have no idea.
    If one does go though a calorie counting process for just a week or two, they will learn a great deal about the macro nutrient breakdown and calorie content of all the foods they eat.
    Once you have a good understanding of this, you will no longer have to count calories if you grasp the principles and understand what does and doesn't work for you.

15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Have you actually read this thread? The first 17 pages were me doing exactly that - logging everything I eat. After doing that in detail for 3 weeks, I've got a very good understanding of what's in the stuff that I eat.

I have no interest in counting calories - I only track carbohydrates.

I think the whole concept of calorie counting (along with bad dietary advice) is what has lead to our current obesity epidemic. People are simply eating too much of the wrong things and are counting things the wrong way.

The problem is that everyone responds to food differently - so while some people can eat carbs with no problems, others (like me) have an extremely efficient mechanism for storing carbohydrate as fat. It's all about insulin response (hormones!) - and everyone is different.

Some reading for you:

The Calorie Debacle - Diet Doctor

Why Calorie Counters are Confused - Diet Doctor

Does Caloric Restriction Cause Weight Loss? Not According to Science! - Diet Doctor

Is It Insulin or Excessive Calories That Make Us Gain Weight? - Diet Doctor

I think water plays a large part in weight. Did you know that when the body stores excess carbohydrates as glycogen in the muscles / liver / fat cells, it needs or 3 or 4 molecules of water for every molecule of glycogen? So 1 gram of glycogen contains 3 or 4 grams of water!!

I suspect this is one of the reasons that people with metabolic syndrome (and indeed type 2 diabetes) are always thirsty - the body is really busy sucking up water to store the glycogen in the muscle/liver/fat cells!

It's also the reason why eating even just a few carbs more than you need can lead to a significant weight gain - the body isn't just storing the (excess) food you've eaten, it's storing 3x as much water along with it too!

However, I'm pretty sure the whole fat cells filling with water as the glycogen is consumed thing is a myth. My understanding is that the excess water is stored outside the cells - in the "extra cellular spaces". This is why feet/hands/legs get swollen when you have fluid retention (for which the best treatment is to drink lots of water!!).

But I think the mechanism is still likely the same as you described - the sudden drops in weight are probably due to water loss.

Perthguy, skater and Kesse like this.
  16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Some people try and track all sorts of things such as macronutrient percentages and all that. If that works for them, I say go for it.

I prefer an extremely simple measure that is pretty much impossible to get wrong - total daily carbohydrate intake. It is something I can work out in my head (after doing a lot of research and understanding how much carbs are in all the different types of food I eat), and it gives me a very simple metric to aim for.

I've found so far that this works well for me - I am very carbohydrate sensitive (my body is really good at converting carbs into stored fat!) - and so optimising carb intake is ideal. Although I haven't been logging everything I eat in recent weeks, I can pretty much guarantee you that I've been eating far more carbs than is optimal - partly because I've been too busy to put the effort into preparing optimal meals and so have opted for the easier option (which almost invariably contains more carbs) and have been eating more of what I shouldn't as well.

I think part of the problem I've had recently is that my digestive system has become pretty uncomfortable and I've been snoring a lot more than I have since I lost most of my weight - which I suspect is mostly related to the amount of dairy I've been eating. I worked out a while back that eating icecream (especially in the evening) makes my snoring a lot worse, but I didn't think it was all dairy (didn't tend to eat much other dairy in the evenings, so the connection wasn't obvious).

However, since I've started consuming a lot more cream as my main source of fat (including in the evenings), I've found my snoring getting worse to the point where I'm waking up feeling tired and have been feeling flat and lethargic all day - all of which makes it more difficult to stay focused on eating the correct things.

So I decided to cut out the dairy completely for a while (ie no milk, cream and especially icecream - I'm still eating a bit of cheese and using butter in cooking because they have very little lactose in them) - to see how that helps. Alas that means no more dark chocolate mousse for me :(

One week in and I'm feeling a lot better already. My energy levels are up, my brain feels clearer, I'm sleeping better, my digestive system is feeling better - I even had enough energy to go for a 5 hour bike ride on Sunday evening (nearly 70km - my longest ever!).

I'm working on finding substitutes for the cream/milk that I was using - coconut oil / MCT oil and butter seem to be my best choices. Going to try some experiments over the coming week to see what combination works for me.

Weighed myself Sunday morning (before my ride), I was down 0.9kg from previous Monday, weighed myself again on Monday morning, down a further 0.9kg, so a total of 1.8kg lost last week!

luckyone, Perthguy and skater like this.
  17. Perthguy

You didn't ask me. I lost between 35kg and 40kg without counting a single calorie ever. It's pretty easy. At the start I pretty much only ate junk food, so I was hungry all the time. Later I wised up and started eating high nutrient density food. To get enough energy I had to stuff my face all day to the point where I was tired of eating by the end of the day.

Easy. Don't count calories:

1. eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full, never overeat
    2. mostly eat a lot of nutrient dense foods
    3. add some fat to every meal
    4. don't drink calories

If you are doing this an don't lose weight then reduce your serving sizes. It becomes intuitive once you train yourself.

luckyone likes this.
  18. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Back when I was overweight and decided I wanted to lose that weight I counted calories - limited myself to 1200 per day and was eating the stuff that's advertised as 'healthy' (read: full of sugar). I kept a journal and was anal about recording every single calorie. I did lose ~10kg by doing that but I was hungry all the time and it wouldn't have been sustainable for the long term as I found it really difficult.

I then researched and expanded on the basic knowledge I had around the LCHF way of eating and decided to give that a go. Haven't looked back since (been over 3 yrs) and down another ~30kg from doing that. I haven't counted a single calorie since then and I only look at the nutrition panel to see carb and sugar content of what I eat.

Some days I'm happy with just one meal a day, other days I might have 2 or 3. I also inadvertently do the intermittent fasting by eating only when I'm hungry.

19. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

For you guys that have done the low carb, high fat or high protein (or variants thereof) for a while now, did you get blood panels done before & after, or have you had recent blood panels done? What do your cholesterol numbers look like now after a period of time on a high fat diet? Not a leading question, I'm genuinely curious.

20. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

No, I wish I had though. I've been meaning to get an overall health check done but it's not been very high on my priority list. I am getting a skin check next week so maybe I should ask to get some bloods done too.

My husband recently had a health scare and as a result had a whole heap of tests done. His cholesterol came 0.10 under the maximum 'safe' level. If he's eating something I've cooked then it will generally be high fat but he'll add carbs to it as well so not really getting the benefits. He consumes more sugar than he should too but he has gotten a lot better of late.

Even though he has a labour intensive job he doesn't really exercise but has been making an effort of late. Be interesting to see if it's making a difference.