Health & Family My low carb weight loss journal (LCHF)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 5th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Actually bodybuilders don't lose fat when they are bulking, they gain it alongside the muscle gains, which is why they need the cutting phase after the bulk. The exceptions are beginners or steroid users who can build muscle and lose fat simultaneously.

Low carb might be used in a cut but not in a bulk phase, carbs are needed for energy, I know I've got much lower energy and brain function without enough carbs.

Bayview likes this.
  2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

yes; quite true. I have seen some guys still lose fat whilst in the bulk up phase; but the really quick shedding is at the ens as you say.

3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Thanks @purplecat

You are certainly right about sleep having a huge impact! This way of eating has taken quite a while to adjust to after the initial 'yuck' phase of feeling really lousy. I am hoping to have some good losses from now on! So far averaging about 600g a week over the last six weeks. Only started 24 hours fasts within the last week (haven't weighed in yet).

4. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

Carbs aren't needed for energy - your body can run perfectly fine (and I'd argue prefers) on protein and fat. There's no such thing as an essential carbohydrate.

On your second issue of lower energy and brain function, the brain fog that occurs when you switch from being a sugar burner to a fat burner disappears once you are fully fat adapted and running on ketones and gluconeogenesis.

I'm not a fan of switching back and forth between carbs and LCHF but some bodybuilders do. See Ketogains for some good examples.

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Been insanely busy over the past few weeks, so haven't been able to keep on top of things as well as I'd like.

Plus school holidays and a week of taking the kids out, plus a couple of kids birthday parties (close family friends plus my daughter), all makes it difficult to follow an optimal diet.

I've been having difficulty with hunger levels for the past few weeks and I've only just worked out what the problem is. I'm not eating enough fat! I've spent some time thinking back over what I've been eating and it's been a lot lower in fat than what I would normally have, so I'm not getting that "I really don't need to eat now" feeling and so tend to snack more than I find ideal.

I actually blame my mother-in-law partly for that - the in-laws have been staying with us for the past 6 weeks (other than the 2nd week of the school holidays when they went to stay with their other daughter instead) - and my MIL has been doing most of the cooking in the evenings. Now, she is very much a follower of a low-fat, low-salt, not-much-protein kind of diet - which I find I struggle with because you need to eat a large amount of food to fill you up, and then you're hungry again a few hours later. It may work for some people - but it simply doesn't work for me.

So I'm looking forward to getting back into a more normal routine and I need to spend some time thinking about how I'm going to increase my fat intake to make sure I'm not snacking and can start aiming for one meal a day several times a week, rather than the 2-3 meals plus snacks I've been eating.

Interestingly, although my weight has plateaued a bit in recent weeks, my waist hasn't and I've lost 7.5cm off my waist now since I started measuring again towards the end of May.

upload_2017-8-13_22-2-0.png

I've experienced this in the past where my weight loss would pause for a bit and then I'd lose a few cm off my waist before the weight loss started up again - so perhaps I'm just going through an extended period of body composition changes or something? Not sure - but it is rather interesting.

I have been doing a bit more walking of late and trying to get more incidental exercise - even though I haven't had time to do any real exercise at higher intensity. So perhaps I'm just converting fat into muscle which might explain the weight plateau while still losing fat around the waist?

I'm also going through a bit of a change in the way I eat - I've been finding that dairy isn't agreeing with me as much as it used to (or perhaps it always disagreed with me but I just didn't notice it!) - so finding alternative sources of fat (other than cream which I have relied on to this point) that I can work into my diet is a new challenge I face.

I also want to try some longer fasting periods - but I need to do some more planning and find time to try some meals to help with that strategy so I don't simply end up starving.

Redwing and legallyblonde like this.
  6. Simon Hampel

I've not done any real research into this side of things - but I've developed a theory on why some people struggle to adapt to burning fat for fuel and weaning themselves off carbohydrates - liver function.

As we know, once your body stops being fuelled primarily from the carbs you ingest, it turns to fat for fuel.

But the body still needs glucose - and so it is the liver which is called upon to convert the glycogen stores into glucose it can then send to the muscles and the brain and whatever else needs it.

Now I'm wondering what happens to your body's ability to perform this task if your liver function is somewhat diminished for whatever reason? If the liver isn't able to generate enough glucose for your brain - you'll get brain fogs. If your liver isn't able to generate enough glucose for your muscles - they will be unable to perform at the level you need them to.

I also don't know how quickly the liver can perform this task and if there is a limit as to how much glucose the liver can deliver if your demands are high enough?

So while it's true that you don't need carbs for energy - I think if you are exercising at a high enough intensity (or perhaps if your liver function is impaired somehow), your liver may not be able to provide all of the glucose your muscles need, regardless of how much fat you have available - once your glycogen stores run out, then you'll basically hit the wall.

Tim Noakes did some research with distance runners and found that even the most lean ultra-marathon runners still had enough latent body fat naturally stored to supply fuel for around 2 hours of race-pace running before they needed to supplement their energy stores. So we're basically talking about being able to theoretically run a full marathon (at record pace) without actually consuming any fuel at all - as in, wake up, and then run a marathon without eating anything before or during the race. Now I'm not sure anyone is actually doing this - but it is theoretically possible.

But then you get elite cyclists who are riding for 5-6 hours during a stage race, quite often at extreme levels of intensity. Even those athletes known to be eating low carb (Froome / Bardet etc), I'm sure would be ingesting glucose or other forms of carbs during the race to help keep their glycogen stores topped up. I very much doubt they are relying on fat/protein alone. But of course, these examples are at the extreme end.

Anyway - I guess my point is that I think there's more to it than simply "your body can run perfectly fine on protein and fat" - I suspect that there may be other factors at play which determine how effectively an individual's body is able to cope in a very low carb environment and I wonder how much the function of the liver has to do with that? Just speculating.

Casteller likes this.
  7. Casteller

Interesting ideas, maybe I should get my liver checked out because I definitely don't function on low carb, and don't want to try to push through any conversion stage because it feels quite dangerous to the point of unconsciousness a couple of times. Not experimenting with it anymore, I just eat my bananas, rice, vegies, fruit, etc. and keep protein high.

8. Simon Hampel

Do you drink much alcohol? I'm wondering if that may have an impact - if the liver is busy cleansing the alcohol from your system, it may struggle to function optimally for glucose generation? Again - I'm only speculating here - I don't know if that's the way the liver works and haven't done any research.

9. Casteller

Yes about 2-3 times recommended maximum, too much.

Redwing and splatters like this.
  10. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

If you are interested in the research behind low carb performance have a look at the work of Dr Phinney and Jeff Volex

Redwing likes this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

When I was in Hawaii, there was a product called 'Baken-etts' made by Frito-Lay. It has the same consistency as Cheetos type snack foods & was quite tasty. They are sold in most places that sell Potato Chips and are made from Pork Skins and has ZERO carbs. I brought a few bags home with me, and went looking to try & find them here.

I found a few places that sell similar online & they were mostly Asian or Mexican type stores, so I went looking in my local (large) Asian food store. They go by different names. Pork Crackling, Pork Skins, Chiccarone's or Chi-Cha-Ron. I found a few that are sold in big shiny colourful bags, but had added sugars, but I also found two brands that have nothing added, ZERO Carbs, and are both produced in Sydney.

Myron's - Small pieces, two flavours. Regular & Special. The Special ones are quite spicey. I wasn't particularly fond of Myrons. After only a couple of pieces I didn't feel very well at all.

Eva's - Large pieces, two flavours. I think there's two flavours, as there were two different types of bags. I've only opened one so far & it's a big bag. I like this one. It doesn't have the same consistency as the US one, and maybe that's a good thing, because I could eat a whole bag of them in a sitting. They were very moreish! As I said, the pieces are big & very crunchy. You can have just a couple of pieces at a time, and are a very handy way to get extra fat, no matter what else you've eaten....and could work quite well if the MIL is cooking.:D I have the bag sitting in front of me. Made in Blacktown, their phone number is 9831 3295, if you want to find somewhere that stocks them local.

luckyone likes this.
  12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You would love Mexico. Chicharrón (Which is the pork skin in Mexico, but elsewhere in Latin America it's just deep fried pork) is available everywhere, often in big sheets. It can be eaten with lime and chilli, hot salsa of avocado. In Mexico it's always light, without hard bits. The stuff available in Australia is often nowhere near as good, but will do.

There's a big Mexican influence in Phillipine cooking, so can be made there.

For something as crunchy and good as this, it almost seems sacrilegious to cook it in liquid, but the Mexicans cook it in green salsa.

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Except I don't eat avocado!

No, it's not like the American one that I liked. The ones that I saw in the colourful bags were Mexican, I think, but they had all sorts of added extras that I wasn't going to eat.

14. geoffw

Sorry, that should have been "or" avocado. It's optional!

The Mexican one is plain, you add what you want. It's not even salted, like many packets. It can be bought in supermarkets or street markets in sheets.

It's apparently possible to make it yourself, though it takes time. How to Make Chicharrones at Home

IMG_1132.JPG

willair and Redwing like this.
  15. Nick23

Nick23 Active Member

Hi Simon,
    Well done on the weight loss journey so far.

Have you had a look at Keto - it's basically high fat, low carb and moderate amounts of protein and it is extremely satiating (ie you always feel full).

Welcome to KetoNutrition

Podcast Archives - Ketovangelist Kitchen

Keto Calculator

Have a read of Tim Ferris's latest book - tools of Titans. He has a couple of excellent chapters at the start of the book on Keto. Apparently a lot of elite endurance athletes have Keto diets - ie you don't have to worry about energy levels.

I did it for about 2 months and am going to get back into it and loved it - the kegs fly off and I always had high energy levels. The other things, my allergies seemed to disappear. The only thing to be careful about is getting sufficient Protein.

I hope that this helps
    Regards
    Nick

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That photo looks like the US ones. The Aussie ones I've seen have the fat attached to the skin.

17. geoffw

There's no fat attached to the Mexican one. You didn't mention that before. It's made from the fat, with most of the fat rendered off, so is completely dry, but very light and crispy.

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep! Light & Crispy is exactly what the US one was. It was a similar texture to Cheetos (or similar), but not cheese flavour. The Aussie ones that I've bought have the skin which is light & crispy, but also have fat attached to it. They are not as easy to eat, meaning that you can't eat a whole pack at a time. I haven't tried the other ones with the higher carb count though, and I'm not about to either.

19. Simon Hampel

The past month has been incredibly busy - haven't had time to focus on working out ways to break through this plateau I'm in, nor to do any serious exercise or to find more recipes I can try.

After struggling with progress I've come to the realisation that I've found myself not feeling as full/satisfied as I normally do, which has lead to more snacking between meals and I think feeling like I need to eat more at mealtime.

I think I've been struggling to find ways to add more fat to my diet, especially since I'm not having as much dairy as I have previously (I'm beginning to think that my guts aren't especially fond of dairy). Previously I tended to rely on cream for the bulk of my fat intake - but I'm not sure that's the best choice for my body.

I don't drink coffee - so bulletproof coffee isn't an option.

However, I did try making something I found was surprisingly good - I call it a liquid bounty bar.

Basically 1 square of Lindt 78% dark chocolate (10g for 2.2g carbs and 4.8g fat) plus 100ml of Bulla pure cream "pouring style" (3.1g carbs, 45% fat content, so 45g fat), place in a mug and heat in the microwave until cream is hot (don't let it boil!), and then stir in about 20g of extra virgin coconut oil (20g fat) until melted and mixed through.

This is very filling, only about 5.4g of carbs total for nearly 70g of fat and the coconut taste isn't overpowering - blends well with the dark chocolate (hence the "bounty bar" name).

I need to try adjusting the mix a bit to see how low I can go on the cream and still make it work.

I did try it once using olive oil rather than coconut oil, but it just tasted like I'd crushed some leaves or grass into it - wasn't that pleasant.

I've ordered some silicone ice cube trays (used for creating ball shaped ice), which I'm going to try using to make fat bombs - but I'm not sure how edible they are going to be.

20. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Hi Simon,

Have you tried a low fat (not ultra low), moderate protein, moderate to low carb diet for a period of time?
    It's much easier for food choices and variety when busy.