Health & Family My low carb weight loss journal (LCHF)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 5th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hehe, that was my philosophy. I've got two wardrobes.....things that are too big.....and things that are too small. My eldest daughter has given me lots of nice clothes, but they are mostly a bit tight for me, which is great, except that my weight loss seems to have stopped for now. I'm still reluctant to buy stuff, because I WANT to get to the size of those clothes.

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Kmart is your friend! Cheap and cheerful. I too refused to spend money on clothes that would only fit me for a few months so I only bought a couple of key cheap items from kmart to keep me going.

And what's even better is if you put your cheap kmart clothes in the dryer they shrink so double bang for your buck! :D

legallyblonde, skater and WattleIdo like this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying, and I agree....but for me, it's more the bragging rights of being able to say that I fit the daughters' clothes. :p

legallyblonde and Kesse like this.
  4. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I had a moment like that too where I had a whole heap of nice business clothes that were my 'skinny' clothes when I first moved to Melbourne. When I moved to Cairns I set them aside determined that I would fit into them again. After I lost some weight I tried them on and found out I had lost too much weight and they were now too big for me! Some of them still had their tags on them.... I reasoned I couldn't be too upset about that so off to the Salvos they went.

skater likes this.
  5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Eating summary: week 6 (I'm calling this week 6 even though the biggest loser challenge is only at week 4 - since I started 2 weeks prior).

Started off the week pretty well - but Wed/Thu/Fri were a bit of a write-off from an eating point of view with some very long days due to EoFY. Quite a bit of junk sneaked in, as well as convenience food - so a lot higher in carbs than ideal.

Also doesn't help that my in-laws are currently staying with us for the school holidays, and mother-in-law is doing a lot of the meal preparation - so we're a bit out of routine.

Anyway, got back to ideal eating on Sunday (probably < 10g for the day), plus managed to go for a long bike ride while the kids were out at a birthday party all afternoon.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Artarmon to Turramurra return near Chatswood | Times and Records | Strava

... 36km, 2:30 moving time, 654m elevation.

Redwing likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That really is a first world problem. I have had this problem too, especially for expensive work trousers. Are there any good op shops in the area? I have found their clothes surprisingly good quality for the price.

7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

8. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Redwing likes this.
  9. Martin73

Martin73 Well-Known Member

Interesting article on the sweet spot for those of you combining intermittent fasting with a low carb diet.

legallyblonde likes this.
  10. legallyblonde

Inspired by Simon I started six weeks ago... four days in a row I only had dinner. Broke it yesterday and had lunch. Cannot believe the lack of hungry now that I am far adapted.

luckyone, Steven Ryan and paulF like this.
  11. purplecat

purplecat Well-Known Member

Wow you amazing, really not feeling hungry?! :eek:
    I can only do this in summer, no less than 3 meals in winter :D

12. legallyblonde

But winter is a lazy time of the year. Not exerting much energy. I am having extremely satisfying dinners. E.g. silverside with cheese sauce and few veggies. Then small choc cheesecake to finish the meal. Didn't bring food to work today. So won't eat till I get home... so min 22 hour fast.

I am naturally an water! Love pub foodand the like... I would not have believed it either that or I haven't experienced it. But genuinely not hungry until maybe the 20 Hour mark. It took quite a bit of practice as well to figure out when you are genuinely hungry or not. It is very easy to want to eat out of habit or because other people are eating.

13. legallyblonde

Spoke to a friend about fasting today... apparently most of the research has been done on men. And then achieve far greater results than women in the fasting area. I'm definitely going to have to do lots of trial and error

14. purplecat

But we need more energy to keep warm?! o_O

Wow lucky you can eat so little!
    I'm hungry first thing in the morning, then 10ish, then noon, then 4ish5 :confused::confused:

Are you aiming to lose weight? Or just practice to only eat when hungry?

legallyblonde likes this.
  15. legallyblonde

Weight loss unfortunately. .. similar to Simon... worked too many hours the last few years and have been sleeping poorly.

Most amazing thing so far... my persistent health issues, namely inability to sleep well, was basically cured overnight. Only waking up once a night to have a drink of water.

Drink sooo much water now it isn't funny.

Weight lost is mild so far but I have been experimenting with desserts. Fasting has only been a thing this last fortnight

purplecat likes this.
  16. purplecat

It seems you doing well with eating less, which is crucial in weight loss. I need to loss weight too but eat way more than you!
    Are you also exercising now?

Wow that's wonderful, being able to sleep is so important to your health, mood, concentration & functioning etc. Glad to know you sleep better now!:)

As long as it keeps dropping, it keep you motivated ;)

17. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Eat less, decrease KJ's, increase output dramatically.

However; you can actually eat quite a lot - if it is the correct food as Simon is showing - as long as the output increases with the food volume.

Many body builders for example; actually increase their number of meals per day, but they can lose quite a lot of body fat as they progress due to the exercise regime...closer to competition they change the components of their meals to further decrease the body fat for the "cutting up" phase.

18. purplecat

I'm on low-mid carb diet too but not high fat, i gained 2kg in a week when I added bacon, salami, full fat yogurt & the likes to my diet.:confused::(

I think instead of LCHF I need to be LCMF, which I have started back in Feb (but then tried different fat levels in between) I have lost 7kg but in plateaued for nearly 5 weeks :(

Anyway I think can only have natural fat such as avocado & nuts. And maybe have to cut out dairy until my weight starts moving down too. :confused: Trials & errors we learnt. :)

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You say you crave food as soon as you wake, & several times a day. This is most likely due to higher carb content. I used to be hungry all the time, but have been LCHF for around a year, and as long as I don't touch carb's, I'm not hungry, although sometimes the temptation to eat because someone else is eating is mindblowing. Hubby has strict instructions that if I don't want to eat....and he does, then do it without me knowing.

If you add fats WITH the carbs, that's when you will run into problems, as you noticed above. Cut the carbs & you can eat bacon, cheese, salami & (unsweetened) yogurt.

As for weight loss, mine seems to come in bursts. I dropped around 8kg quickly, then nothing for months, then another 8kg. I'm still dropping, but it's now super slow. I'm down an extra 4kg since Christmas, (all up 22kg now), but I haven't been specifically trying for weightloss now, and eat a lot more calories than I used to, due to the high calorie count of the fat laden foods that I'm eating, and usually eat two meals a day.

luckyone likes this.
  20. purplecat

I've got food journal & my carbs are usually 2x to 3x, on odd days like a party once in a while maybe 5x. I do not eat rice, pasta, noodles, bread or starchy vegetables. I do occasionally have a donut (on average 1 per month) The carbs level is not as low as I wish but I think it's not high either.

On a typical day:
    Breakfast - 20-30 green beans + 4 medium mushroom - all boiled + a can of tuna/salmon in spring water/ smoked sardine + 1 soy latte. 2 boiled eggs instead of canned fish on weekends.

Morning tea - 10-12 raw macadamia nuts + 10-12 raw almond

Lunch - 4 Brussels sprouts + 1 green zucchini + 6 snow peas/sugar snaps + 3 broccoli florets/ 3 cauliflower florets - boiled + 1 steak / 2 chicken thighs / 2 fish fillets pan fried in olive oil + 1 soy latte

Dinner - 150-200g full fat Greek yogurt + 2 tsp sunflower seeds + 2 tsp Pepita seeds + 2 tsp black chia seeds + 1/2 tsp honey OR 200g cheese

I'm thinking cutting out the dairy altogether when I finished whatever in the fridge, and change dinner to boiled veggies + seeds.

Did I missed anything? Anything for improvement? Thoughts?

Edit: forgot to add - every second day - 2 squares of dark chocolate/dark chocolate with roasted almond/hazelnuts

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2017