Health & Family My low carb weight loss journal (LCHF)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Simon Hampel, 5th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Eating log - day 22 - June 26

Breakfast: nothing

Snack: cream. New Bulla "Pure Cream Pouring Style" (45% fat) is really really good - such a nice flavour and the extra fat compared to the Dairy Farmers or Farmers Union pure creams (which are both around 35% fat) gives it a better, slightly thicker consistency. I've been drinking it on its own - about 25ml or so keeps me satisfied for ages. Around 1g of carbs.

Lunch: nothing

Snack: cheese & salami. 0 carbs.

Dinner: lamb roast with broccoli and leftover cauli mash that I couldn't fit on top of last night's cottage pie. About 1g of carbs from the broccoli and maybe 5g from the cauli. Let's add 1g from the gravy, so 7g total for the meal.

2017-06-26 17.26.31.jpg

Dessert: chocolate mousse. Made a new batch yesterday using 2 blocks of 90% Lindt with the standard 600ml of pure cream. Tasted way too bitter last night so I thought it was going to be a bust, but today it has mellowed somewhat (I find it's always better after 24 hours in the fridge), so was actually not bad - very strong flavour, but not offensive. I think I might need to add a 3rd block of something with a little more sugar content - perhaps a 78% or a 70/69%, just to take the edge off.

Tried to use less milk, but the fat content made it too gluggy to stir, so I ended up adding the full 150ml I've been using.

So there's about 53.4g of carbs for the whole thing and I only had a little, so I'm going to call it 10-12 serves in the bowl, which makes it somewhere between 4.5 and 5.5g of carbs per serve. Let's be conservative and say 5.5g. Adding a 3rd block of Frey 69% would add 30g of carbs to the total - or around 3g per serve. A block of 78% Lindt would add 22g of carbs or 2.2g per serve. Not sure the 78% will have enough sugar content to sweeten the 90%, and at less than 1g extra per serve, I don't see why not to use the Frey 69% (or Lindt 70% smooth blend).

Total for the day: 13.5g. Pretty good really, especially with dessert added as well. Got a bit hungry this morning (not enough fat in the cottage pie last night), but the cream really helped there. Getting better with my water intake too.

Exercise: worked standing up for about 5 hours. Took daughter to soccer training and was so cold that I paced backwards and forwards along the sidelines while working on my tablet to try and keep warm. Would have covered a fair bit of ground during the 45 minute session. Should have turned Strava on or something to track it.

luckyone, Perthguy, purplecat and 2 others like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Eating log - day 23 - June 27

Snack: 30ml pure cream. 1g carbs

Lunch: take-away southern style fried chicken. 20g carbs.

Dinner: (restaurant) roast pork with pumpkin, peas and potato.

2017-06-27 18.30.57.jpg

Wasn't much in the way of veggies in there - a few small pieces of potato and some pumpkin - perhaps a dozen peas. Lots of meat though (too much). I'll call it perhaps 10g of carbs from the veggies (which may be overstating it somewhat).

Dessert: chocolate mousse. 6g carbs.

Total for the day: 37g carbs.

Exercise: none. Worked standing up for about 4 hours. Climbed a few flights of stairs while out.

3. purplecat

purplecat Well-Known Member

Very impressive @Simon Hampel
    Weight still going down?

4. Simon Hampel

yup, another kilo already in the past 2 days, down 3.5kg in past 3 weeks, down 7.6kg in 5 weeks. Will need another new belt soon - nearly on the last hole.

luckyone, Perthguy, skater and 2 others like this.
  5. ripas

ripas Member

Great effort!!

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Are you playing golf as well then?

Bayview likes this.
  7. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Nicely done mate! That feeling of getting a smaller belt is a good one.. keep the old one though. It's interesting to visualize how much smaller you get compared to before.

8. purplecat

purplecat Well-Known Member

Wow 1kg in 2 days?! You super!!

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Instead of adding more chocolate (and carbs) to it, use less. I did one on Monday with ONE 90% Lindt (no other chocolate). It was slightly bitter, but all the cream really took the edge off of it & it was really nice.

10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Meander Valley Dairy Double Cream gets a thumbs up from me

11. Simon Hampel

Not available in supermarkets here.

I have used Gippsland Pure Double Cream in the past, but found it too heavy at around 51% fat (although works really well on apple pie!)

The Farmers Union and Dairy Farmers pure cream is okay for cooking with, whipping or drinking - but it's only 35% fat which leaves it a bit too runny for eating. I really like the new Bulla pure cream - with 45% fat seems to be a good compromise - a bit thicker, but not too thick, both pourable and spoonable (if you're careful).

There is benefit in the higher fat content creams though - you don't have to eat as much to get the same satiation, while carb content is also generally lower ... only 1.9g of carbs per 100g for the Gippsland Double cream compared to 3.1g for the others. Interestingly, the 45% Bulla has the same carb content as the 35% Farmers Union and Dairy Farmers products (3.1g).

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Simon Hampel

Eating log - day 24 - June 28

Snack: 30ml pure cream. 1g carbs.

Lunch: take-away roast pork belly, some spicy devil wings and a few potato wedges.

0 carbs from the pork, probably 5g from the wings and perhaps 30g from the wedges.

Let's call it 35g carbs for lunch.

Dinner: cabbage sauteed in butter. 5g carbs.

Dessert: mousse. 6g carbs

Total for the day: 47g carbs

Wedges were a bit of an indulgence today - knew they would take me way over my limit.

Exercise: none. Worked standing up for around 5 hours.

13. ripas

ripas Member

Been trying Unicorn Fuel - nice starter to the day - warning from the Chef for males adding the ingredient maca as it will "put lead in your pencil"

Last edited: 1st Jul, 2017
  14. Simon Hampel

Been really busy with EoFY stuff the past few days, so haven't been documenting everything. Eating has been a bit all over the place too - things have been so insane that I've not had time to prepare much in the way of food, so convenience has won out.

I think I've largely demonstrated what I set out to do in this thread - to show people how I'm eating (I had people disbelieve that I could eat so little and not be ravenously hungry) - but to also give me a feel for how much 20g of carbs a day is (previously I was aiming for 50g a day, which is a lot easier to achieve).

I'm pretty comfortable that I know what I can eat now and remain within (or at least close to) my limits - it's been a useful exercise.

I'll try and do a weekly summary of my progress along with the biggest loser challenge updates.

Redwing, Perthguy, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I don't know how I will cope, I am flying out to US next Sunday.... everything is supersize....

16. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

look for "Wholefoods", "Trader Joes" these places sell more healthy/lifestyle type produce and general food products.

Redwing likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Mathematics of weight loss, someone sent me this today???

Redwing and WattleIdo like this.
  18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

If you like your belt you can put a new hole in it. I have had to do that in the past.

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've had to do that too.

Leather belts stretch over time ;-)

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Simon Hampel

Nah - the belt already wraps half way around me - it's way too long now. Also it's a cheap belt that's looking pretty rubbish now, so needs to be replaced anyway.

I'm kind of in a no-mans land right now for clothes - all my old clothes are way too big for me, but I don't want to spend heaps of money on new clothes, because I'm aiming to lose another 20cm or more off my waist - so anything I buy now will be too small for me again shortly.

Perthguy likes this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF