My latest Airbnb tale

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Depreciator, 20th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

In our backyard pad, we have a New Yorker staying for 4 months. Diana is teaching at Sydney uni in media and is an artist - 'sound' was her PHD area.
    I was in my shed late arvo yesterday and heard some blokes in the back lane moving something heavy. I thought nothing more of it till 20 minutes later when I heard someone playing a piano in the back lane. I went out and there was Diana playing the piano in the lane. It was such an odd sight. She said it worked fine and she looked wistfully at it and then up at the sky where there were rain clouds.
    I said, 'You want that piano, don't you?'
    She said, 'It's heavy so it's not going to happen, is it?'
    I took out my phone and said if my big mate Michael is at home it will. I texted Michael, 'Hey Michael, I've got a beer here with your name on it. What are you up to?' She asked whether Michael was an ex-football player and I said he was, but he's also a piano player so he'll get it.
    I had a metal frame with some big castors on it in my shed and 15 minutes later the piano was in its new home and we were having a beer. We're now a three piano household and I can't even play.
    Scott

NikRo, astonma, Gockie and 5 others like this.
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Someone was getting rid of a piano for free? Great story btw.

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Lots of people give away pianos. They're often not worth much and cost money to move. People are happy for someone to come and collect them.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is our experience too. My MIL insists her piano will go to us. I've gently explained that none of us can play, we don't have room for it, and (told her gently) we don't want it. Still, she is determined that it is coming to us one day. But I won't be paying someone to move it here. It is worth nothing (except sentimental value to her, not to us).

We will give it to someone who is prepared to pay to have it moved.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some yelled "pianist" and you misheard ?? :D