My journey so far

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Omnidragon, 17th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Hello - haven't been on.

Had 2 property booms (09-10, 14-15) plus 4 stock market booms (3 local, 1 offshore).

Property-wise bought CBD commercial, and very inner city places such as Collingwood, Carlton, North Melb. Started with resi, had a bit too, but resi only a small part of holdings at least value wise now.

twas, Xenia and trinity168 like this.
  2. Omnidragon

Yes more zen lately... you don't like it?!

As can see from post on top, we buy pretty different things too I think.

OC1 likes this.
  3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes mate...still buying the slums.... :)

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Interestingly, Hubby & I were discussing an older lady that we know recently, when she was lamenting how they (her & Hubby) would survive on the Pension. He's 56, worked in a Corporate environment all his life in several different Countries earning (and spending) a very high salary. No investments, & currently renting. They've always rented! She's now cleaning houses as she's aware that they've got nothing to fall back on.

Hanison, Sackie, 2FAST4U and 4 others like this.
  5. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

That is scary stuff :O

Hanison, Sackie and skater like this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so Omni-Delta.

I suspect the business instinct runs in you pretty deep, and luck was probably a small part of it.

The Y-man

7. Omnidragon

Thanks Y-Man.

skater - that's scary... on the flip side I have a colleague who's got around $10m unencumbered properties and doesn't like to spend. Got to strike a balance somewhere.

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It is very scary. If I had a choice of being option 1, or option 2......I'd like to be your colleague. No cleaning houses for this little black duck!

9. Honeydew

Honeydew Well-Known Member

Hi Omnidragon,

How did you manage to get 6% yields in such blue chip inner city suburbs? Was this for the residential as well or the commercials ones ?
    Could you share some tips on how you achieved these great results please ? particularly the resi ones ? Thanks muchly :)

10. Omnidragon

Every deal's quite unique.

An example was a commercial. This guy owned the place for many years, charged himself $10k net rent, ran his own business there (these are fake numbers). The agent thought that was about market rent too. Anyway I ended up buying the place for 250k because I really liked it (fake number). The owner-occupier left and went to retirement (in fact I got the place with vacant possession).

I went out, got a few agents to compete on leasing - gave none of them exclusitivity - ended up leasing it for $15k net a month later (again, fake number, but the proportion is correct). Now it has been a few years, so my net rent is $16-17k (commercial rent tends to go up by 4% pa in strong locations).

11. Honeydew

Oh that is so smart ! I'm very surprised that a professional agent would not know what the standard market rent would be for a product that they're selling and getting a commission for based on the % of the sell price !

Is this common for commercial IP or was it a buyer's market with very little competition?

Also, if you don't mind sharing, what strategies did you use to turn a blue chip resi deal in melb to yield 6% ?

Last edited: 22nd Dec, 2015
  12. Omnidragon

It was probably a so-so market. The agents only go by comparables, don't always have a good grasp of the market.

Re resi as I said each deal is unique in its own way - some are simply a function of buying in much softer markets. Anything bought pre-2010 is probably 6% net yields quite easily. You think about the fact that you're now buying at double/triple the prices, and you're still getting 3% net yield. Reno is important. Don't think I've ever had a buy and not reno situation.

Another example I've encountered was being able to subdivide/develop in resi is another big factor. Some of these 80sqm backyards with rear access I have - you could build say a 3-storey townhouse for $300k and sell it for $1m easy. Some sell for $1.3-1.5m in hot market.

Ocos, not sure if the same still applies today - function of me not buying much in this market either.

Last edited: 25th Dec, 2015
    Honeydew likes this.
  13. Honeydew

thank you for sharing :)