My journey: How it started / How it's going

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Tjolobal, 1st May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Of course you should ask - a BA should work in your best interests and not be a glorified OTP sales spruiker. I have declined developers/sales agents offering me $15-$40k kickbacks to recommend their properties to investors.... not ethical

craigc, fols, skater and 2 others like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Another question for you @Tjolobal - are your loans all stand-alone (ie one loan per property), or have they been cross-collateralised such that your loans are secured by multiple properties?

Are all loans with the same lender or has your broker placed you with multiple lenders?

3. Tjolobal

Tjolobal Well-Known Member

Much appreciated! This is what I'm here for and I can't tell you how much this advice means to me. The concerns are absolutely valid and were raised during the selection process. I have also spent a lot of time reading about the pitfalls involving buying new vs buying established. The thread here by (forgot his name) that outlines his 7 year property journey and the cool side posts about new vs established etc were gold. Very consistent with the research I have done thus far. The assets have been on the teams watch list since 2016 and at the industry was opening up however it was still very heavy leaned towards military contracts. However over the years the area has become more multi industry, and population / growth has increased steadily. I'm quite impressed with the cashflow and the fact that it has helped us expand our portfolio in such a short amount of time. I will definitely keep an eye out of how it progresses in line with the strategy though.

Again that was just a gold post and I appreciate it.

4. Tjolobal

All loans are separate. None cross-collateralised.

MWI and Simon Hampel like this.
  5. Tjolobal

Apologies if you misunderstood my message in the post you were replying to. The assumption was yes - there is a developer premium. So why ask if you know the answer? That was the meaning there. We went in this entire arrangement knowing very well from the start that developer premiums were involved in the purchase of new properties. In my experience and with confirmation from many folks with collectively 40 years of property experience (I'm going to stop saying the word "advisor" thanks to advice from the founder), not every property attached to a developer premium is a bad deal.

I would love to also leverage your expertise if that's even possible at this point. If an asset that a developer wants to give you kickbacks aligns with a strategy of one of your clients, why is it unethical if you then pass those kickbacks on to the client? I would only see it as unethical if you didn't pass those on to your client. Without factoring in the client's situation or strategy, how is it automatically unethical to pass kickbacks to your client (if that's what you were referring to apologies if I got it wrong)

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Buyers agent should NOT be receiving fees from a developer and then recommend that developer's stock to their clients. The conflict of interest is huge and it's definitely unethical if this is not disclosed to the client from day 1. If you're suggesting that the kickbacks the BA receives is then somehow passed on in cash to the buyer that may be a different story, perhaps. But the whole relationship between the BA and developer then recommending the same stock to clients sounds at best, very suspicious.

However @Tjolobal you stated, "There's no need to ask the buyers agent if they receive fees from the developer. Of course they receive fees from the developer. It's not surprise knowledge." That suggests you don't see an issue buying property from a BA who gets paid by the developer to sell to you. Huge, huge, conflict of interest there.

Why any investor would willingly submit to such a set-up is beyond me.

Last edited: 10th May, 2021
    skater likes this.
  7. Tjolobal

I absolutely agree. My question was around the ethics of the BA passing those down to the buyer.

8. Simon Hampel

Hey @skater - how long have you owned property for? I'm at 23 years - I'm guessing you're more than that now? Can we collectively claim 50 years of property experience between the two of us yet?

Needless to say, we're not impressed by such claims as "40 years of property experience". We've been around the block a few times too.

No, not every property attached to a developer premium is a bad deal. But how would you know if it is or isn't? Who is advising you about the quality of the deal? The person who stands to make a sizeable commission from you purchasing said property? Where is your independent advice?

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If the BA gets no financial benefits from the developer at all to sell to you, then that's a different story.

10. Simon Hampel

A licensed buyers agent is not legally allowed to accept commissions from the seller of a property while also being paid by the purchaser.

That would preclude them from passing the commission on to the buyer too.

Tjolobal likes this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Oh, at least! Then if we add in @Sackie as well, there's maybe another 20 there, but he'd have to confirm. Then there's @DaveM who's been around the block a few times as well. Getting close to 100 years from just the four of us, I think.

Last edited: 11th May, 2021
  12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Just because it's not legal, doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'm at 22ish years....

The Y-man

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep! There's a few of us 'old timers'.

15. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

31 years....I must be really old and stuff.

16. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

40 years of experience or one year of experience 40 times?

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Or we were just late starters. :p

18. Lary

Lary Well-Known Member

Hey, @Tjolobal would it be possible to give us an update of how things go. Adelaide pushed up significantly since last year. It should be good story to hear. Please share.

19. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I have spent fifty years of property mismanagement so your 100 years is reduced to fifty !:p

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Only if we agree to add you to the count. :p