My IKEA adaption

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Depreciator, 27th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of IKEA, mainly because the stuff has become so common. But I do like the boxy storage units - the KALLAX system. They are pretty cheap and look okay. I needed to make a room divider and storage unit in my back pad. I used 2 of the IKEA things back to back and then some sheets of form ply. The whole thing is on wheels. Down the end of the unit on the bedroom side there is a 600mm wide hanging space for clothes. The drawer inserts and black baskets down the bottom on the bedroom side are accessories for that IKEA system.

Attached Files:

meatpopsicle, pinewood, dmo and 11 others like this.
  2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Looks great ! Who knows you might see something exactly like what you created appear at Ikea available for purchase :p

Chrispy and Xenia like this.
  3. Depreciator

There used to be a website dedicated to things people made from IKEA stuff. I think IKEA got it taken down. A bit precious of them.

Chrispy likes this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I like it

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Really? I wasn't game to google it because it would probably suck me in. There is potential to change there standard stuff, like you've done or a coat of paint or mixing it up. Plus a way to improve and make the stuff more solid

6. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

There was a great website I think called Ikea hacks. Showed you peoples project turning all sorts into great pieces of adaptable cheap furniture. I believe it might still be running under a different name however.

7. Depreciator

Ah, yes, that was it. I bet IKEA made them take their name out of it.

It's become a nice room, that one. We tarted it up on the weekend because a friend is going to camp there for an indefinite period. It was a good reason to drag some of my wife's paintings out of the storage rack and put them on a wall.

Chrispy likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Particle board and melamine laminates ten thousands different ways is always still particle board / fibre board.

One of the innovations I like was Ikea developed a refugee flatpack "home" that isn't a tent. Can be setup from pallets in minutes. A social donation to the UN
    IKEA Launches Flat-Pack Modular Refugee Shelter in lieu of tents which deteriorate. Includes solar etc.

One hell of a trolley needed to pick up that one in Aisle 42.

Don't tell the people in the Granny Flat threads, they will all want one.

Chrispy likes this.
  9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

They've reinstated and embraced it. And have set up an ikea hack lab to explore what the customer wants- perfect free marketing for them

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ikea hacks are still hugely popular. I love seeing what people do with their ordinary okra objects to make the custom or surpass their original intentions.

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Great work @Depreciator it works really well as a room divider for a studio apartment and adding the hanging space is great

12. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

dmo and Westminster like this.
  13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

That's really good. Love the picture of mother and kids.
    Wasn't that floor green?

14. Depreciator

Yes, that was the building with the green floor. That floor was a bit over the top even for me.

It's a great painting that one. She did it about 10 years ago and it's been sitting in our hallway in the house facing the wall for most of that time. She did another one at the same time with the three of them that is the same size. It's in our loungeroom, but there wasn't enough room for another big one in that room (and for dozens of other paintings).

Chrispy likes this.
  15. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Does that colour have a name? Looks, really good. Your wife is a great artist.

16. Depreciator

I would still have the can for that paint. It will have the colour on it. It's a 2 pack epoxy, so a bit tricky. Very hard wearing and good for concrete floors. That building will be my shed one day so I wanted a good floor treatment.

She's a great painter, but doesn't do it anymore. She found it a bit boring and does ceramics these days. Boy, we've got a lot of pots and plates and bowls and stuff around the place.

WattleIdo likes this.