Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

My first Reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by JZ93, 14th Feb, 2016.

1. JZ93

JZ93 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Hi looking to add value through a Reno on my first property in woodridge qld and some opinions/advice on a my plans would be greatly appreciated!

1. Currently tenanted till may not sure if I just don't renew their lease..

2. Remove load bearing wall to open up living area (3-4k)

3. Remove living area and hallway carpet and add matching tiles to kitchen (cost ?)

4.Unsure whether to repaint kitchen cupboards, new appliances and add an island where the wall was or just completely new kitchen... (Cost ?)

5.Add Venetians to all windows (cost $800)

Don't want to spend too much more than 12-13k. Thanks

Last edited: 14th Feb, 2016
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This floor plan is similar to the one our son worked with. He removed the wall between kitchen and living room, added an island bench. A builder from Somersoft kindly advised on load bearing wall and they had to either add a huge beam (inside the roof or visible inside) or leave the corner post. They cost to leave the corner post and save the cost of the beam.

This is before and after -

IMG_2144.JPG IMG_2146.JPG IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2201.JPG 24125880_2.jpg

EN710, Fitzy1903, Nemo30 and 4 others like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The cost of doing the above work was -

. removing the wall (elbow grease)
    . new kitchen (whatever you decide you want to spend
    . floors needed to be polished (couple of thousand for the whole house)

You will notice the ceiling was replaced but that was nothing to do with the kitchen job. Someone had added foam tiles back when they were a good idea (where they EVER a good idea?) and once removed it became obvious it was cheaper to replace the ceilings in the house than remove the glue dollops and patch them.

vbplease likes this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Might be worth a call to see what the tenants intentions are. They may be moving on or have other plans soon enough. You should see some cg this year so sitting tight won't hurt. Is rental demand good for the area?

Keep researching and planning, have all your materials and qtys sorted prior to tenants leaving. Go in with a tape measure so you know what your up against. Also take a chippy to suss out the beam.

Kitchen you could get for ~2k from Ikea. You'll need an island etc

WestOz likes this.
  5. Shazi

Shazi Member

In Woodridge , I would sit tight till I have to renovate or selling . It seems like a lot of work you planning and may overcapitalize for the area. The rents are average n you may not get your returns for the reno. IMO

6. JZ93

JZ93 Well-Known Member

@wylie came up really nice. I'll definitely consider leaving a post, seeing as adding a beam can be so costly. Hoping to fly up and remove the carpet and potentially the kitchen myself to save on costs also.
    @bob shovel i definitely will enquirer once I settle, may get a better quality tenant once renovated anyway. If I do the kitchen ikea/Bunnings flatpack will be the way I go. Any idea on installation costs?

7. JZ93

JZ93 Well-Known Member

@Shazi yeah increasing rent for 3/1/1 is limited already at 330pw. Reason for Reno if I add 20k value Im in a position to pull equity to buy again. There are renovated comparibles in the area that have sold for 20k-30k more then what mine is worth atm

8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Hi,

1. How much can you increase the rent to justify the expense?
    If not considerable, personally (assuming good tenants) I'd leave them in there until they decide to go.
    Meanwhile get all your ideas sorted/planned, how your gunna attack it, tradies your gunna use etc, purchase required items when on special etc so you're ready to go when they give notice.
    Providing it won't inconvenience the tenants do external tidy up etc while they're still there.

2 & 4. Can see why you'd want to open up the kitchen (small). Bit hard to tell from the pic, (apart from fridge) possibly lose storage?

Wild idea of the cuff, if removing wall why not also take out the laundry, for what is essentially a washing machine, sink and basket it takes up allot of real estate which could possibly be in the workshop.

3. Personally for value/diy I'd use vinyl throughout, that way if they have kids/pets/parties it's easy to clean up, no lingering smells etc.

4. Might be able to recycle some of the frames but otherwise upgrade.

5. Machine Washable Curtains.

Just a very quick throw together for ya...

[​IMG]

Andrew H likes this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

@JZ93 is there some bench missing in the kitchen?
    A simple fix you could do with tenants in, is fix the bench and change handles, maybe some paint. That would tidy it for re-val before Reno.

I agree with @WestOz but you could also keep the ldy up your sleeve for a larger bathroom Reno in the future

Ikea do offer trades now when you buy their kitchen. Including demo, 3 days work going well but depends on the wall going and any odd jobs required

JZ93 and WestOz like this.
  10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Had that in mind also for slightly larger kitchen & bathroom (new wall cost tho), linen could possibly go in bathroom corner next to/above pantry, those corner kitchen cupboards are always a bugger to get to the stuff at the back.

11. JZ93

JZ93 Well-Known Member

@WestOz my justification of expenses would be to increase equity. The current tenants are probably paying overs, but they aren't the tidiest. Definitely DIY as much as possible living interstate. Considered vinyl if kitchen tiles aren't up to scratch, ideally I want the kitchen,living and hallway to match.

@bob shovel it does look that way, think they rearranged it after the last paint they gave it. Okay sweet I'll look more into it

12. Jane Eyles-Bennett

Jane Eyles-Bennett Member

This is the exact layout of this property which also has the wall removed... Dumba Lane, Ferny Hills, Brisbane. Cost of reno a bit (lot!) more than you want to spend but return was awesome (and these guys did no DIY whatsoever). Good that you have some comparable values to work toward. Good luck with it!

JZ93 likes this.
  13. JZ93

JZ93 Well-Known Member

Might have to do this sooner than expected, tenants about to break the lease so now would be a perfect time.

Anyone have any recommendations for cheap kitchens and tiler? Or handymen in the area would be appreciated