My first development

Discussion in 'Development' started by zac101, 19th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Demolition guys did not mention any septic tanks, so it seems that all I need is a stat dec.

Same as above. Demo guys did not mention anything. I am sure they would have told me had they found a bore. I will double check with them.

Thanks @Westminster and @Perthguy

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Yep, you'll get it when your trusses/frame expands at different angles.. timber frames do expand and contract, and make noises. I lived in timber framed houses for 20 years. A mate built a steel framed house and I thought he was mad because it would be so noisy.. I was wrong. Hardly different to a timber frame in terms of expansion noise.

The worst part of a steel frame was trying to run cables through his roof.. never again!!

zac101 and Perthguy like this.
  3. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

A lot of times development happens in areas that used to have septic tanks. Places like Belmont, Ascot, Rivervale, Gosnells etc all have the odd lot with the tanks decomm'd .... just not removed.

This LGA condition would be a standard condition for lots that haven't previously registered a decommissioned system. They may have already been removed when the sewer came thru, or after that like when a pool went in, etc.

Perthguy and zac101 like this.
  4. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Okay so Western Power seems to be the most difficult one to deal with so far.

This is what I got.

As the length from the front boundary of the lots exceed 30m to the point of attachment, a site
    main switch board is required. Your electrical contractor must describe this on their Notice of
    Completion. Each lot requires one paid connection, please submit a new connection application
    form.

What does this really mean? Can this SMSB be installed before the building or usually at the end? In the latter case how will I get the condition cleared for titles? I am in the process of contacting WP to find out more about this.

@Westminster :)

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Holy **** .Western power are the worst. They single handedly cost me a 4 month delay and tens of thousands in holding costs.

My surveyor submitted an app in Jan and dome will be installed end of May. Need the board for clearance if you want titles before building

You need to get a distribution board connected to pillar (after pillar installed) and get electrical contractors to send in a notice of completion . FYI you don't need meters in the board for clearance.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

why isn't your surveyor handling this for you @zac101 ?

And yes this is why side by side is better than front and back :p

Western Power can not be swayed by logic or your requirements. They will say and do what they want and you have to do as they say. I can't handle dealing with this illogical side so my surveyor does it for me. I can't add any value or learn from it (seems to be different and illogical every time) so I stay out of it.

I couldn't even win when they insisted on putting a brand new power dome in a flood zone. Surprise, surprise less than 6mths after it was installed it flooded and was under water for 4 weeks. #waterandelectricitydontmix #kaboom #idiots

DoubleD, zac101 and Perthguy like this.
  7. Big Daddy

They are idiots

I paid my 6500 for a dome. Why do I need a distribution board for vacant lots for titles? I spoke to a few engineers and they feel the same. The board at best case may need to be shifted based on the driveway and unit layout and worst case it will get damaged during construction. I don't mind putting it in before building but as a requirement for titles is stupid.

Westminster likes this.
  8. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Thanks WM and BD.

My surveyor is handling it but I am just trying to understand this process.

Now it turns out that there is a dome already but on the wrong location (on the right hand side). Now it seems like I have two options, first is to have an easement of one meter along the front lot or the second option is to have a new dome. I am just guessing here as I am still waiting for the official Western Power's response.

I am afraid potential buyers look at the easement as an undesired feature.
    Does this easement result in any restrictions on using that front one meter strip? I was thinking to plant some small trees in that area.

What do you guys think is the best way forward.

dome_location.png

Perthguy likes this.
  9. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Okay I have just re-read that letter from Western Power again and it says that the access can be given by Implied Easement under Sec. 11 of Strata Titles Act 1985. So does that mean we don't need to go to Landgate and have the easement listed on the title? As the implied easement exists as a condition of Strata titles anyway, right?

10. Westminster

Pretty much - western power are an entity higher than everything and can place mythical easements that aren't registered anywhere and everyone has to comply

Elle Ar likes this.
  11. Big Daddy

Implied easement is not technically an easement. I assume you own both lots hence cannot have easement against yourself hence it's implied . Once sold it becomes a real easement.

I would leave the pillar and add easement . Don't think anyone cares. If you want another pillar it's 6500

zac101 likes this.
  12. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster . Seems like I am onto a winner here. The dome already exists so all I need is an implied easement.
    My biggest worry was having registered easement on the title of front lot and thus putting off potential buyers.

13. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Thanks BD. Yeah the easement now seems to be the best way forward. Not only due to direct extra cost, but as you pointed out earlier, due to the holding cost while Western Power takes 4 months to install the new pillar.

However I think the implied easement is still implied and not expressly registered on the title even if I sell the front lot.

14. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Anybody knows a decent electrical contractor to install the Site Main Switch Board? Since the switch board is on the left hand side and the dome on the right hand side, I will also need to run the underground cable along the front of the lot.

Site Plans1.png

Perthguy likes this.
  15. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

So the latest is that site main switch board has been installed as per the location in above post. also signed the prep of plans agreement with the builder.
    Now waiting for the conditions to be cleared for subdivision and waiting for the builder to do all the working drawings and be ready for building contract.
    Any idea how long it should take from prep of plans agreement to building contract? @Perthguy @Westminster

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Big Daddy

Anything from 2 days to 12 months depending on builder. If give it 1 to 2 weeks

3 weeks from WP to clear subdivision conditions

Last edited: 19th Jun, 2017
  17. Westminster

Depends on what they need to do in between and any changes you make. Generally it's working drawings and estimating so around 4 weeks.

zac101 likes this.
  18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Mine was 18 months but that was because of a lot of changes to the plans. If you are organised then it should only be 4 to 6 weeks.

zac101 likes this.
  19. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

So after a long absence, and getting all the approvals, permits, finance etc, I am back to update the thread.
    Building permits issued late November and finally site works were started this week.
    Very first thing is that i need some retaining wall as there is one metre difference in height in the front and back block.
    Now I am no where near being an expert in this area but those panel and post type retaining walls are used everywhere. Are they good enough for one meter gap?
    Also i noticed at least three cracked panels (see pictures). Also there were some cracked panels lying on the front as rubbish. So is it normally expected that some panels will crack and be replaced? Also how long do they allow the retaining wall to sort of settle down before proceeding.
    I'm just trying to get more understanding before i ask questions from the builder.
    @Westminster @Perthguy

Attached Files:

Last edited: 7th Dec, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Who did the retaining wall?

I would not be happy with that. I would send the pictures to whoever installed it and ask them to be replaced.

zac101 likes this.