My first development

Discussion in 'Development' started by zac101, 19th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I thought about it in Highgate as I could go the extra storey and have a roof terrace but the cost price didn't even pay for the increase in value. Everyone "wants" a roof terrace but the reality is that no one usually wants to pay for it.
    For every dollar you spend on a house you want to see that returned with profit. So you'd want to see a $25k value increase for spending $20k on a roof terrace. At the end of the day I'd rather spend that $20k on an additional bedroom or living room which will generate money (via sale or equity valuation) than a roof terrace.

2. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

umm not really spectacular view, but you can see Morley Galleria :) And the back yard is not small for a duplex, about 45 sqm including the alfresco.
    So yeah I kind of agree it is not a great idea :) thanks @Perthguy and @Westminster you have confirmed my suspicion, it is not worthwhile

Hazelnut_Flatwhite and Perthguy like this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Still worth getting a price though. Then decide from there.

zac101 likes this.
  4. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Is the designer an architect or a drafter?
    There is an ethical problem with the kickback idea
    If an architect this should be reported to the Institute and Registration Board
    Sounds like it's a designer/drafter

5. Bryn

Bryn Member

if you do, why concrete? with a skillion colourbond roof, you can put a timber deck over the top (provided its designed for the load)- cheaper than concrete

zac101 likes this.
  6. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

God forbid you do any roof terrace out of anything other than concrete.

Of course then you get to complain about it leaking all the time.

Everyone wins! *

*sarcasm intended.

7. Bryn

Bryn Member

Is this another perth thing? :)

8. Westminster

Yes we can't use anything but concrete or bricks. Anaphylactic shock sets in if we even touch timber.

Elle Ar, ms sweet and mcarthur like this.
  9. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

To be honest his website does say he is a designer. But I am totally new to this, and I always thought a designer, architect, town planner are all the same thing. But seems like I need to do more research.
    By the sound of it, a designer can charge a commission but an architect can't? And to be fair I won't call it a kickback because he hasn't tried to hide it or anything.

Yes, from my little research, it seems like a timber deck is high and regular maintenance. I prefer more of a set and forget kid of solution. So a concrete roof terrace would be virtually maintenance free, right?

Last edited: 12th Mar, 2017
  10. Aaron Sice

About the same. You need to keep the drains clear and check grout joins every 6 months.

11. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

I think it's far easier than oiling the timber deck every six months.

12. Westminster

You could always timber or steel frame up and use a fibre cement low maintenance options

13. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster , but I will need bit more :) any links or examples will greatly appreciated.

14. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

So it seems like the designer is recommending the front unit at the street level and the back unit at -1 meter. So the retaining at the back of the rear unit will be 300mm, but the retaining wall between the front and back lot will be one meter. And there will be a fall of about one meter over 25 meters of the driveway, i.e. about 4% slope.
    Not really sure if this is the best configuration.

15. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

The fall won't be an issue. The retaining cost might be, depends on the contour of your land. Just ask your designer why they've done it that way? To optimize cut and fill? To reduce overall retaining costs?

16. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Spoke to the designer and it turns out the retaining wall at the back of the rear block is 500 mm already. And then there is one meter retaining wall at the boundary of back and front lot, which brings to the front block to street level.
    He says any more than 500mm retaining wall at the boundary means council will need comments from neighbours, hence delaying the DA.

Is one meter fall from front to the back house gonna be easy on the eyes? The driveway is about 24.5 meters and one meter fall over this distance......would it look ok?

17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

It will look fine. Just make sure you do a decent looking retaining wall for the driveway.

OR if you change your mind, go side by side and build the houses with split levels.

18. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Phase2

Hahaha, I am way past the point of no return. Maybe in my next venture, if there is one.

Phase2 likes this.
  19. Aaron Sice

the WHOLE driveway over 25m slopes down a 4% grade? AS2890 is 5% so well inside tolerances there.

because if it slopes locally you can't exceed 12.5% which is what....8m? Plus 2m ramping either side - 12m. Half the length required.

Why not put the splits into the house and build some intrinsic difference into the house design, have something different - instead of paying money for limestone blocks and then burying them under the ground?

20. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

yeah, that's great.
    Ummm.....I am going for panel and post. Besides, not a fan of split level house, especially with young kids.