My first development

Discussion in 'Development' started by zac101, 19th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Hi @Westminster a question about levelling, if you could help :)

My block slopes away from the street, about 1.3 meters difference from front to back. From the front to about half of the depth, it is only about 0.3 meters and then from there on to the back end it is about a meter. The suggestion I got at the moment, as I am building front and back, is that I should build the front house at street level, and then back house at about 0.5 meters lower. So I will only have about 0.5 meters of retaining wall at the back.
    Ideally I would like to lift the whole block and build both houses at the same level. What would you do?
    Any idea of the extra cost I am looking at to lift the whole block to street level? Maybe any contacts of earth works companies that do these things?

Thanks.

Hazelnut_Flatwhite likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You won't find any 9m designs but basically all 10m designs can be adapted to smaller widths. Most prepackaged designs on builders websites cater for standard blocks not development blocks where you can give yourself permission to have lesser setbacks on your internal boundary to make the houses better.

Hazelnut_Flatwhite and zac101 like this.
  3. Westminster

I doubt it would be allowed by council as the rear dwelling would be much higher then neighbours to the side and rear. Most councils won't allow more than 1m at a time for terracing of houses.

It would also cost a fortune to do. How much, I don't know.

Your sums for retaining don't make sense. If you build the front at 0 level and the rear at -500mm you'll need 800mm of retaining at the rear of the rear block.

The cheapest solution is probably to put a small terrace in the front garden at 300mm and have front house then at -300. Then another 300mm at the rear of the front house. This would make the rear house at -600mm and then there would be 700mm of retaining at the rear.

Twinside is the cheapest retaining around - probably not the most attractive but it's used everywhere if limestone is too expensive.

zac101 likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Don't look now but there are 5 metre wide frontage lots in Ellenbrook. I have toured some of the houses built on them. Nice! They don't feel narrow.

Narrow Lot House Plans – Single Storey | Narrow Lot Homes, Small lot Homes, Perth, WA

JL1, Hazelnut_Flatwhite and zac101 like this.
  5. Westminster

5m, even 4.5m is plenty if you have a rear garage. Bit harder if you have to have garaging at the front.

Here's a 7.5m wide design with a double garage at the front but it only works in some places at 7.5m wide like new estates. It would need 8.5-9m to work on a standard block.

[​IMG]

Mustafa Salehi, zac101 and Perthguy like this.
  6. Perthguy

True, it is much harder to do single storey, double garage, 9m frontage. They do a lot of side by side in Adelaide, but single garage not double.

7. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Exactly, my point. I am limited to single storey and double garage is a must. So that's why went with front and back.
    Anyway, moving on, the next challenge is to level the block. Will wait until demolition is complete soon, then will start getting quotes.
    By the way, do I extend services first or do I get the block levelled first?

Last edited: 28th Feb, 2017
    Hazelnut_Flatwhite likes this.
  8. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Double garage automatic roller door, with or without windows in the top row?

9. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Just for information, why are people not building flat roof like this in Australia? is there a law against those, or they are too expensive etc?

Attached Files:

10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

You can't actually have a flat roof, you need some fall on it to get drainage. If you want a deck area above a living space, then it has to be structurally sound, and waterproof. People here are just used to a pitched roof though. Go for a drive around the river's edge, there are a few houses there with a flat roof / deck.

zac101 likes this.
  11. Westminster

It's personal preference. I don't like windows for a few reasons
    1. they get dirty and I don't like cleaning
    2. people can look in and see what you have of value in your garage (or how messy it is as you don't like cleaning)
    3. I like the simple uncluttered lines of the garage door - it's not a feature and I don't want to draw attention to it.

BUT it is nice to not have to turn the light on to find your way to the car.

12. Westminster

Some councils and land estates have design guideliness that don't like "flat" roofs and want a minimum 24 degree pitch to tie in with existing houses but there is plenty still being built.

I've built 2 and 5 degrees with Trimdeck and then had raised sides and front so that the roof appears flat.

zac101 likes this.
  13. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

With demolition complete, got a letter from water corp this morning about how I need to get a licensed plumber to install some sort of standpipe to protect the water meter. Or I have been given the option to disconnect water meter.

With construction about 4 to 6 months away, what is the best way to go ahead.

Good morning @Westminster :)

14. Westminster

Morning @zac101 I actually have no idea and have never had one of those letters. Which makes me think I get mine disconnected as part of the demolition. Did you sign any water corp forms as part of demo?

15. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster . Spoke to Water corp, and the disconnection and reconnection is too expensive and unnecessary. They said I need to install a standpipe before the construction starts. So no rush at this stage.

Westminster and Perthguy like this.
  16. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

What I meant is building a flat roof then having the stairs go up and being able to use the roof as open space, even though the house is actually single storey.
    Is that allowed in Perth or is it too expensive?

17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Yep, these guys did it. Flat roof at the back of the house.
    34 Kintail Road, Applecross, WA 6153 - Property Details

18. Westminster

So the roof would actually be another concrete slab?
    It's only allowed if it doesn't overlook neighbours and will cost more than a normal roof as it will need to be able to support all the concrete, the cost of the concrete, the cost of balustrading.....

zac101 likes this.
  19. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I have asked my architect to price up an 8m x 8m flat roof section at the back of the house with stairs going up from the backyard. It will be like a big balcony. I wonder if it will add value to the house.
    I won't consider it if it costs more than 20k. Do you think it is worth it? @Westminster
    Or maybe I could go for a bit smaller 6m x 6m.....

20. Perthguy

Why? Is there a spectacular view? Or really small yard? Normally people just build an outdoor area under cover. You might do the big balcony thing in an upmarket area. I have seen it done in Highgate but I think the place would have been worth close to a mill and the large balcony had views of the city.