My first development

Discussion in 'Development' started by zac101, 19th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Need to speak to a Surveyor, eg Cottage.
    Free advice but it would be nice to use him if he helps you.
    [email protected]

zac101 likes this.
  2. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Hi BD, yes you are right. I have checked WAPC guideline and also confirmed with my surveyor. The truncation needs to be part of the common property.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A town planner would be the approach. They know all local issues and the cost pays itself

zac101 and Westminster like this.
  4. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Just a question for the development gurus like @Westminster , how long it generally takes to get all the works (water corp, western power etc) done after the conditional approval for subdivision. So from the time of conditional approval to the application for removal of conditions? Assuming the house is already demolished.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

So you're going survey strata? The time varies quite a bit but around 4-6 weeks then you can apply for the titles and it will take around 4-6 weeks for those.
    With the survey strata you can apply for DA whilst it's being processed so that you are ready when it's unconditional.
    Is there any reason why you aren't going build strata? Do you need the equity from creating two titles before you build?

6. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Well this process just looked much better to me. I liked the option of having two titles and possibly selling one or both if I had problems with finance down the track. And it would have been difficult to get enough loan without two titles.
    Yes I am planning to apply for DA at the same time so it is ready as soon subdivision goes unconditional.
    Seems like on average, there would be no more than 3 months difference anyway in going Built-Strata vs Survey-Strata.

7. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

After seriously long deliberation, at the end i decided that single driveway with side access for the front house garage was the only practical solution.
    So finally agreed on lot sizes and the WAPC application was put in this week. Now the house plans are nearly finalised and will apply for DA alongside of WAPC application for subdivision.
    House being demolished next week.
    What is next? Anything I can do while I am waiting for the conditional approval? Sewerage, Water, power extensions etc?
    Hi there @Westminster :)

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@zac you won't be able to connect services until you have conditional approval.

Westminster and zac101 like this.
  9. Westminster

Nothing much you can do until WAPC approve it.

zac101 and Perthguy like this.
  10. Hazelnut_Flatwhite

Hazelnut_Flatwhite Active Member

This thread is so relevant to me haha

If this helps at all @zac101 here is what I got conditionally approved withing 4 weeks ago. I think I am on a street over from you. Green title battleaxe.

Starting now to think I should of given the narrow block division more of a look in... I hate them personally but don't plan to live in either, so just chasing value. I saw I'd only have 9m of frontage each block and just couldn't see how anyone would want this but @Westminster seems to be schooling me every day or two on what valuers actually score!

I've sent Bayswater this plan asking about removing that palm bottom right, technically on the verge and they've not been too cooperative.
    It's gross, put it by a previous owner and grows over the neighbor's driveway and the council doesn't maintain it. A lot of my street has signed up to their 'Street Trees' program and have these nice matching trees down the verges.. I am really hoping I can get rid of this palm and set it up like the rest of the street.
    Anyway that's been the general attitude I've got towards removing trees not on my own property anyway - I'm not finished pushing my case :rolleyes:.

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Westminster

@Hazelnut_Flatwhite with a fugly palm like that I'd get rid of it myself and "plead forgiveness, not ask permission"

Hazelnut_Flatwhite and Perthguy like this.
  12. Hazelnut_Flatwhite

What's a fine worth??? ;)

13. Westminster

"Whoops the demolition company were told to get rid of the palm on the property and thought it meant that one too."

14. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Yes I am little bit behind you but hope to learn from your experience.

So you got the conditional approval within four weeks, wow that is quick.

What made you go for green title compared to survey strata, would it cost you extra to extend the sewerage or other services?

I am going with survey-strata to keep costs down. Besides I am planning to live in the front so I needed bigger block at the front, so I had to go survey-strata with common property.

Yeah I couldn't convince myself for the narrow look. Besides, the council attitude towards street trees put me off. I have two trees at the front and a bus stop/power pole on one side. Nice and complicated :)

Also another question @Hazelnut_Flatwhite , how did you get away with 2.5 X 2.5 meter truncation (corner length 3.54 m) at the back end while I have been told by council and WAPC, they now need minimum 3 X 3 meter truncation (corner length 4.24 m) at the back for turning cars etc. I just think it is such a waste.

Hazelnut_Flatwhite likes this.
  15. Hazelnut_Flatwhite

Sorry I was a bit unclear, I got the approval just less than a month ago... about 2 months from application to get.

Looking at the attached snip from my conditional approval, I didn't get away with it. The survey I copied in here was just what we submitted to the WAPC.

Well, I guess I believed that this would end up getting a higher value on the two being complete separate blocks. Now I understand that yeah there will be some extra costs associated with going Green and it'll probably outweigh any value added :S

I clearly have nfi what I am doing haha. This is the first time and going to be a big learning curve.. I have the luxury of being paid well enough so that a few additional costs here and there won't kill me. I was just checking the WAPC fees to request a modification of application... looks like only about 700$ (plus whatever the surveyors charge me) I wonder if I should redesign as two narrow blocks, strata survey.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 26th Feb, 2017
  16. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Personally for $700 and a bit of extra time - its a no-brainer. Side by side for value.

17. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Yeah if you not gonna live there yourself, have no street tree issues, (I'd check with council planner if they are happy with two cross overs etc), I don't see why you can't go side by side.

Also if you go side by side, green title won't cost you much more than survey strata, as the sewerage usually runs along the back of the block and you won't need extending it much.

18. Westminster

Elle Ar, Perthguy and zac101 like this.
  19. Hazelnut_Flatwhite

Haven't been able to find many 9m block width designs in 4bed 2 bath on builder's sites. So narrow!

20. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Personally I wouldn't go side by side unless I had minimum 10 meter frontage. But that's just me. 9m is just too short.