My favourite Airbnb guests arrive Wednesday

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Depreciator, 31st Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Two month stay.
    The fourth time they have done it.
    Very much part of the family, now. They spend the southern summer in Aus, and then head to France for the northern summer.
    They're not extravagant tourists at all. They own a couple of modest rentals in the UK and use the rent from that to travel and rent elsewhere.
    They're in their 60s and have decided they don't like winter.

KayTea, Jennifer Duke, JacM and 12 others like this.
  2. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Do they want to adopt? I dont like winter either

Jennifer Duke and JacM like this.
  3. Depreciator

I'm liking it less and less, too. A modest retirement with no winter would suit me.

Handyandy likes this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hi Depreciator, what do they do for the rest of the summer months ie 2 months only take them to the end of the yr? Jan-Mar would be freezing in the UK.

And when they are in the UK, do they stay at a paid off PPOR? Only reason I'm asking is because its inadvertently a good adjunct to the 'retirement' threads.

5. Depreciator

Last time they headed up to Brissy after Sydney, but didn't like it much. This time they are heading up to stay at a house on the northern beaches. They'll like that. Another time they went to NZ for a while, I think.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I don't like summer but quite content with the other seasons.

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Start of Oct - end of April is a good time to be in the Eastern seaboard. Travelling from May to Sept every year plus another short trip after Xmas to Japan and Bali/Thailand to punctuate the gap between the long holidays would be a dream.

8. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

If they want to come to Phillip Island, tell them they can stay at my Beach House from mid January I don't let it out normally but being fellow Senior Poms, they are most welcome

alicudi and Redwing like this.
  9. Depreciator

They're okay this year, Chrispy, but I might let them know about Phillip Island for next year.
    They are good people and I like having them around the place. I told them last time it's like having family come to stay, except it's family that you like.
    I'm sure he's looking forward to using the bowls he made on the pottery wheel last time - they were fired after he left. He enjoyed that experience. He loves to do stuff with his hands. Last visit we made new seat bases for the six dining chairs and a couple of stools and did some other stuff. I have been making a list of jobs we will be doing together. Boy, they leave the place clean, too. I'm going to put stuff upstairs for window cleaning and things like that and it will be done for sure.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just don't put it under the soap, they'll never find it. ;)

11. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

Thats fine Scott. I am sure they would enjoy it, easy walking distance to the Surf Beach and Safe Beach and I can leave them with plenty of jobs to do :)

12. Depreciator

They're arrived. It's great to see them again. His big electric keyboard was damaged in Europe, so he's without it this time. Luckily the building they are in has a piano - he's probably having a bash right now. He saw a deck I had built out the back while he was away. He'll be asking where the decking oil is soon so he can oil it.

13. Alfiesausagedog

Alfiesausagedog Well-Known Member

Love this story, thanks for sharing!

14. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Great story ! Where is yr property ?melbourne or sydney?

15. Depreciator

Sydney. Inner West. It now has a nicely oiled back deck, too.

KayTea, JacM and Chrispy like this.
  16. Depreciator

So, the deck is done. He spotted some flyscreens in my shed and said, 'Weren't they there last time I was here?' Flyscreens are now up on the windows of one of my daughter's bedroom. The other daughter has been angling for a new bed. I've been putting it off for months - two man job. Done this morning.

Brady, KayTea, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hmmm... wanna loan him out?

I'd love the kitchen cabinets in my Sydney Airbnb to be painted (the colour's a bit dated now) and I'd love for him to complete my curtains at the place while he's at it (i'm not a fan of vertical blinds)...

Chrispy likes this.
  18. Depreciator

They're still with us.
    We made some hardwood reveals and head/sills for the windows in one of my daughter's bedroom. It's sort of a box frame. I've had the timber for a while and been avoiding doing it - heavy and tricky job. He said a week ago, 'What's that timber for?' So that job is now done.
    Recently we got a new and bigger fridge for our office in the city. The smaller one was fine and it sat in the foyer for a few weeks. I said one evening, 'Hey Ian, want to come for a drive?' The old office fridge has replaced my ageing beer fridge at home.
    My wife's seldom ridden bike got a flat tyre recently. I bought a tube and put it on the courtyard table near the bike on my way to work. Of course, he did that as soon as he saw it.

Gockie likes this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You can send him my way at any time. :)

Chrispy likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia