My Dream Bathroom Extension - any ideas on costing?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by crabbypaddy, 9th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. crabbypaddy

crabbypaddy Member

Hi guys

I don't know where else to post, but I've been thinking of what my dream bathroom would look like (maybe weird, but hear me out).

A bathroom without interior walls, not too big, think 8-10sqm max. No bathtub, but has a vanity. 100% floor tiles, and floor tiles are angled towards one drain. The drain doubles as a squat toilet. Shower's about 1.5m-2m away. Wall tiling unimportant, maybe halfway towards ceiling.. But more on the toilet! The squat toilet would obviously have a flushing mechanism. I spent 2 months trekking in South-East Asia and fell in love with them, they're so much healthier for the body!!

I'm picturing something like below, but much more plain (no glass between toilet and shower, and there's abit too much going on in this one for my taste). Anyone know whether this would be possible in Melbourne and what price? Looking at $20k budget. I've tried a cursory Google search and unfortunately squat pans are quite expensive here! Happy to settle for a ~$200 conventional toilet but hey a guy can dream right?

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you ever sell the house a squat toilet in the middle of a bathroom with no walls will cut out most of your market and cost you a lot.

Why not grab a toilet squatting stool and put in a bathroom that appeals to your target buyers.

It is a compromise to what you’d really like for yourself but many other specific design choices that will polarize potential buyers fall into the same category.

Joynz likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Ok, I’m a bit (probably a lot) older than you, so a squat toilet only would slash your property value for me. Yes, I’ve been to China. Yes, I’ve used squat toilets.

And I can’t even imagine how you would incorporate a shower and floor drain into a squat toilet!

If you MUST have a squat toilet, at least fit a Western toilet as well. You have room in your big bathroom. Even if it is an en-suite and you have a western toilet elsewhere in the property.

Always think of resale. Then any future buyer aged over 50 can put a pot plant and pebble garden in the squat toilet!
    Marg

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Squat toilets have a lip that sits slightly above the floor so could not be used as a shower drain (quite apart from any plumbing regs that might prevent it).

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

As the others said, having a unusual setup like that will turn a lot of buyers away. Even new the resale value will be negative because anyone else will replace the toilet.

Have you ever used a shower with no walls? Try using a bath shower with a dodgy shower curtain. Everything nearby will be wet, including the toilet paper.

One alternative: western toilet in the main bathroom, and a squat toilet in a small separate bathroom (toilet and small sink only) if you really want it.

Last edited: 10th Jun, 2019
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Could be an option.

Friend bought a house that had been built by a young couple who came into serious money. Off the bar/rumpus/billiard room was a small tiled room containing only a urinal and wash basin!
    Marg

7. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

Not what I would do, however, if it is your PPOR and you like it, do it. You only live once,. Personally, I would just make it easy to change if/when you sell to make it more conventional toilet when you move and add a screen etc. I don't know how much it would cost, just get a couple of quotes.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

A $20k budget will get you that look and feel but you will need more drainage points to be compliant.
    Basically you want to create what is currently termed a "wet room". You'll need the vanity to be far away enough from any shower spray but that is doable.
    A squat toilet will reduce your appeal come sale time but if you really want one you can have one and then replace it with a standard toilet when you go to sell. Spend the money and go with a proper squat as no plumber will sign off on anything else and your budget will be ok. Finding one that meets Australian WELS and watermark licensing might not be too easy but search around
    Squat Pan
    or go with a stool like suggested above Toilet Stool™ - Voted Australia's Number 1 Poop Stool

9. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Chemist Warehouse sell Squatty Potties, they’re great! About $30.