My Best Mate

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jim1964, 13th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jim1964

jim1964 1941

My best mate JJ "Boofedd" Mcintyre died in my arms this morning at the vets,he has proudly sat as my avatar for awhile now.I got him for my 40th birthday..........best present ever.R.I.P. JJ. j.jpg

Lemmy a fiver and Bayview like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry @James McIntyre :(
    If only they can stay with us much longer.
    Thinking of you

jim1964 likes this.
  3. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss, they leave much more than paw prints as they pitter patter across our hearts :(.

wylie and jim1964 like this.
  4. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear, Jim. They're not with us for long but they certainly leave an impact.

jim1964, MTR and EN710 like this.
  5. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Oh man, so sorry @James McIntyre I lost my Best Mate just over a year ago, (he's the one in my Avatar too). He too died in my arms. It broke my heart so I know exactly what you are going through.

Almost the exact opposite to you in that he held on and made it to my 40th Birthday, we lost him soon after.

Not a day passes when I don't think of him in some way or another, thankfully those memories bring more smiles than tears now, but there'll always be a huge hole where he used to be.

JJ was obviously a well loved member of your family James. Thoughts are with you and all who loved JJ.

WattleIdo, Bran, Phantom and 5 others like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Noooo :(
    Feeling the loss with you James
    Why do they live such a short time.

jim1964 likes this.
  7. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I have made hard decisions, but this has been the most heartbreaking,i buried him overlooking the vineyard.

Propagate likes this.
  8. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

So sorry Jim. Sounds like you were both very lucky to find each other :(

jim1964 likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry to hear this. We too lost our little man after 16 (maybe 17) years with us. It was heartbreaking and I also think of him all the time. Right now we are babysitting a little chap who is not the same breed, but is so much like our little chap that hubby and I have both been calling him the wrong name. His mannerisms and gorgeous nature are exactly the same and it is very nice having him here with us.

I'm wavering about not getting another dog...

willair, WattleIdo, Bran and 3 others like this.
  10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have been through this a few times over the past years---sat down on the Vet floor told our daughters Wife to go outside held him for the last as he looked into my eyes for the last time then 2 seconds later he was gone--Daughter drove back home as i sat with him on my lap as i could not drive home then buried him in the back yard--
    Just think of the good times thats all that is important--

11. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

O no. That is really sad for you.

I love our Ollie and he is getting on these days.

I might give him an extra big hug tonight.

My thoughts are with you.

Propagate, ellejay and jim1964 like this.
  12. jim1964

jim1964 1941

1/2/2004-13/6/2017

JJ.PNG

wylie, Iamnumber5, Propagate and 5 others like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

When my dad's last dog died he vowed to never, ever get another dog. The heartache was just too much. He took it even worse than when his mum passed away.

jim1964 likes this.
  14. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Pets are simply the best. They don't care how you look, how much money you have, or any other material things.

Propagate, wylie and jim1964 like this.
  15. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of JJ passing.. taking your best mate to the vet to go to sleep has got to be one of the cruellest things in life.

I hope your family feels better soon and remember the good times you had with him :)

16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Very hard losing such a beautiful creature who understands you so well and loves you so much. It's amazing how strong the bond becomes. And then they get better with age, too. The grief is real.
    I remember the time we lost my first dog - a beautiful old golden labrador called Murphy. I was completely stricken with grief, the depth of it was unexpected. The whole family was very sad but I was inconsoloable (I always feel like that with loss, unfortunately).
    One morning, a week or two later, I was just waking up, feeling bad, and suddenly I was flooded with an overwhelming sense of love and the certainty that everything would be ok. It seemed to come up the valley, through the bush, into my bedroom and all through my body. Such wamth.
    I didn't want to move or speak. It started to fade a little but was still strong as I got up and had breakfast etc. It stayed with me for a day or so. I've never experienced it again but I hope I do. Maybe come close once or twice with meditation. A few days later my mother said I seemed to be a lot better. I told her why. I hadn't said anything until then because I didn't want to ruin it.
    It doesn't stop me feeling gutted when someone beautiful dies, but it does remind me that I was loved very very much, and that love is still there.

17. Starbright

Starbright Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. Our dog also passed a few years ago and I still get tears when I think of her and read stories like this. I now follow many dogs on Instagram until I can get one myself :)

WattleIdo, Propagate and jim1964 like this.
  18. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

@James McIntyre
    I am so sorry for your loss. I know I will be a complete mess when I lose my current (first) dog. Thankfully he's only just approaching middle age so hopefully we have quite a few years yet.

I had to take my parents' / the family dog to the vet when his time came; they couldn't do it. Hardest thing I've had to do so far. I then took my new puppy to the same vet when we first got him, and when I walked into the surgery I was immediately taken back to that day - so very visceral.

I'm glad you had so many years of joy together.

jim1964 likes this.
  19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

What a lovely old boy. He looks a bit like our old fella, who I just let in out of the rain.

jim1964 likes this.
  20. jim1964

jim1964 1941

100_3614.JPG 100_3614.JPG The mail just came, in it was one from the vet,assuming it was for JJ,s vet care, i just left it unopened on the table,this was just passed to me.

Sasim, WattleIdo, lowIQ and 4 others like this.