NSW Muswellbrook

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Thedoc, 2nd Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on Muswellbrook? Been flat for 5 or 6 years but has gone up 10% in the last 12 months. Vacancy rates are down, few mines being extended that should see a big influx of jobs early next year.

People say don’t invest in mining towns but is it a case of the ripple effect? I always thought I’d sell up as soon as the market improved but with the recent growth and people being priced out of Newcastle, Maitland I’m think I might hold on for the ride as I think the next few years are looking positive.

Thoughts?

2. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Never has been good and never will be good. 20 years from now houses there will still be the same price.

3. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

But that doesn’t actually make sense and you have no valid arguement for that statement. The median price a year ago was $275k and now its $305k so your point is dead and buried right there.

4. lightbulbmoment

You asked for people' thoughts and this what I think.

Bwinny likes this.
  5. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

So if you bought in May 2017 at the median price of $255k and sold today at the median price of $305k prices are the same. Hmm interesting

6. The Prestige

The Prestige Well-Known Member

I work in a mine in the valley. And most are going well. Also good prospects for next year too

Tom Rivera and Thedoc like this.
  7. investoradam

investoradam Well-Known Member

As the mining picks up again the same questions asked and advice given about mining town as last mining boom:rolleyes:

Dean Collins likes this.
  8. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

Cheers hero. Not everyone has been around since the last mining boom. Rubbish input.

9. investoradam

investoradam Well-Known Member

Was more so meant to be mocking the sprukers again.

Having worked and lived in mining town for several years my self, the boom and bust come and go in 7 to 8 years cycles

Money can be made in them if you ask the locals and the off spruker with a confidented interest but there are far better places to invest

10. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Wow you suck.

Seriously you posted a question then get upset when people respond with answers you don't like....

wilso8948 likes this.
  11. lightbulbmoment

Happens all the time on this forum,
    People post these questions seeking out validation for there decisions and almost always get upset when they get a answer that doesn’t have a positive reinforcement to support them.

craigc, Dean Collins and wilso8948 like this.
  12. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Hi @Thedoc
    Once someine very successful told me to not buy an investnent similar to a one legged horse.

In your case, you have exactly done a similar thing. That is, buying solely keeping mining in mind.

Now, the ripple might all because of cycles. Sydney is already declining and the ripple is reaching in outer pockets.

In this case, you are getting an opportunity to mov3 out. Not grabbing that will be another mistake.

There are way better investments in terms of opportunity cost and will fetch you way better returns.

Please spend more time learning and reading or talk to as many people as you can so that you can gather different perspectives and make a sound judgement.

Regards

Thedoc likes this.
  13. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

Just explain to me how @Adam J comment is an opinion on my original question? If that wasn’t a condescending reply I don’t know what is. If you don’t have something constructive to say don’t bother typing you’re wasting everyone’s time.

Cheers

14. Dan Dizon

Dan Dizon Member

Area is largely driven by coal mining, which presents unacceptable risk especially with what is happening politically and technologically with faster rates of adoption and developments in renewable energy. Outside of mining, nothing else is really driving demand. Some marketers will say that is diversified due to being within the broader Upper Hunter region, but that's a stretch. Any areas overly dependent on any one economic source should be a red flag.

15. The Prestige

I commute from Glendale (15KM from Newcastle cbd) to the mines. Now that the Hunter Expressway has opened you dont need to live up there.
    2 scenarios
    I bought my house 3 years ago for $405k and was valued at $520k in June. Probably droped a bit now.
    My supervisor bought a house in Singleton for aprox $650k 6 years ago and has only just recovered to the price he bought it for.
    Food for thought. If you like short term capital gains around these muswelbrook probably not a bad idea. But if you get it wrong you could be stuck with it for a long time.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  16. The Prestige

Personally im looking in towards Newcastle's inner suburbs. Playing the long game and not really interested in risk.

17. mtooler

mtooler Well-Known Member

East Maitland, Metford, Thornton would be where I'd invest over Muswellbrook due to Greenhills and hospital builds.

18. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

mtooler likes this.
  19. mtooler

mtooler Well-Known Member

20. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Great response!

The Prestige likes this.