Entertainment & Music Musicians in PChat :)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by EN710, 28th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Nothing hurt I hope?

And are you okay too? :p

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

OHS - should wear safety goggles and gloves while tuning!

The Y-man

3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Thanks muchly for your concerns and suggestions. The guitar is fine. Same cannot be said about my ego.

4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Used to play guitar, still dabble but play bass a lot.

At present just have an a couple of Ibanez active basses, through a Fender Rumble amp or a Kustom Bass amp.

Also have an MIM Strat electric in 1960's sunburst as a cheapie electric that also let the kids play with, an ovation 6 sting acoustic and old 12 string.that the headstock has been repaired on and can't see what it was.

I used to love guitar, but now am an old fart I really appreciate the bass much more. Although there are times which you are just keeping rythmn and really just need to hang off the drums, you can get into some really melodic stuff. It's almost like solo'ing on a guitar the whole way through the song. You can do similiar in a lot of songs but with the rockier/ heavier music I like the guitars are often a lot of chords and fingering on solo's or intro's and outro's. Not a fan of playing chords on bass, nor do I usually play with a pick - I prefer using 2 fingers if I really need to dig in. Sometimes I need to in order to try and get the same sound like for Korn's freak on a leash.

I did have a proud daddy moment, my 9 year blonde ballerina of a daughter has worked really hard on bass and can play System of a Down's aerials all the way through. (she plays saxaphone normally) Admittedly it is not that fast, played across only 3 strings but it's still not bad for a 9 year old. It really annoys her mother that she likes metal, punk and hard rock. I am trying to move her up to toxicity as it has some really fast bits but slow as well so her little hand doesn't get too tired.
    Notes for aerials below in patterns using sharps no as easier to type (no bass on me so below from memory but always find easier if I can fret)
    CGCF tuning

G# G# G# G# G# G# G# G# G# G# G#G# G# G#G# G#G# G#G#G#G# CCCC F CCCC D# CCCC D CCCC C

Chorus
    D#DC# FD#D D#FGG#GFD#DC

My 7 year old can play some simple little melodies like stand by me
    My 11 year old isn't as good as the 9 year old but she can play some easier melodic songs all the way through -she does play clarinet and trumpet though
    My 13 year old is awesome, he's been playing a lot of bach and beethoven lately and various jazz songs I don't know of. He can also play a heap of pink songs (she has suprisingly melodic bass lines in a lot of songs). I probably have no more than 6-12 months till he can out play and I hope he does. I also having playing come simple 3 chords on guitar just to mix it up - he plays trumpet in a jazz band as well as concert band at school.
    My 15 year old likes it in theory but doesn't play - used to play drums and percussion for 4 years or so but then girls got more interesting around the end of year 9.

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Most recent video from 11 year old Yo-yo guitarist. She’s now gaining confidence (very shy by nature) and getting more “feeling” in her performances. Pretty amazing for someone her age. In my former life as a semi pro drummer there was nothing more special than working with an excellent lead guitarist:

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I never thought of bass as a lead/solo instrument until a friend dragged me along to a Casiopea concert and saw this live:

(You can actually see the top of my head as he walks through the crowd :D - had hair then)

Then Y-man

WattleIdo and Nodrog like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

In my era bass solos seemed to gain more prominence when Jack Bruce from Cream let loose.

8. SatayKing

He was something else. I didn't know until recently he was awarded a scholarship to study the Cello when he was around 16 yo.

Nodrog likes this.
  9. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

My son started to learn guitar a few months ago but he's left handed and really struggled on my right handed guitars. Figured I'd pick up a cheap left handed guitar for him and see how he goes.

Managed to pick up a lefty Ibanez S370 with peeling paint, trashy stickers and only 1 string on it for $150... nothing an orbital sander and a couple of cans of my son's favourite blue spray paint couldn't fix.

[​IMG]

Ted Varrick, SatayKing and The Y-man like this.
  10. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

That gave me the Ibanez bug, so a month after that I picked myself up an Ibanez S521 for $400, threw some nice pickups in it and away we go :)

[​IMG]

Ted Varrick, SatayKing and The Y-man like this.
  11. SatayKing

I'm so much a sucker and weak. Could not resist no matter how much I don't need it.

DV Mark DVC Gen 15 Combo. Class A all-tube, 12" speaker, 15W. On special (very) @ $699.

Davothegreat likes this.
  12. SatayKing

This is what one obtains and enjoys rather than being involved in any further financial discussions:

[​IMG]

Probably set it up with an A/B for either the DV or Fender Blues Junior and the AER Compact 60.

However, that will have to wait until I get the NAS up and running for which I have to get a gigabyte switch as I've used all the LAN ports on the modem. Bloody technology. I want simple in my life.

@Simon Hampel not sure how it is done but would you be kind enough to cancel my account? I've looked through the help but am not able to find anything on it. Appreciate your assistance in this matter. And I must say you have done a splendid job with this forum.

Good wishes to all.

And now it is definitely farewell from me.

PS: Carefully read any distribution statement from VAS and crew and then go "Hmm, why did they say that and what does it mean?"

13. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I love the classics

willair likes this.
  14. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

We've just gotten home after being on holidays and my husband has picked up yet another guitar. We need to stop going anywhere as every time we do he comes home with another one!

At least this one is the 'project' guitar and on the cheaper side of things. It's a 7 string Ibanez that's seen better days but is intended to be his backup 7 string for gigs. Needs some dings filled and a respray and I'm sure when he's done it will be looking schmicko.

15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I've fixed (temporarily) my husband from collecting guitars. He's only allowed one guitar for every cat I have. All my foster cats have been adopted and all his 'foster guitars' have been sold. Currently 5 cats in residence and 5 guitars, although it IS kitten season, so that may change soon.

Nodrog likes this.