Entertainment & Music Musicians in PChat :)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by EN710, 28th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Australia has always had a lot of young musical talent in the wings. The trouble is, that talent is rarely thrown into the spotlight because the labels get a bigger return supplying implants for Nicki Minaj's backside than they do nurturing actual musical talent.

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Or maybe just a shower :D

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

One reason I miss Countdown

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Labels don't have much to do with it these days. Recording and publishing music is easier than ever.

The biggest threat to Aussie music is simply no where to play it.

Lock out laws, NIMBY noise restrictions and gentrification have all worked together to limit the ability for Aussie musos to make money.

The show does go on of course but it is reduced from the late 80's glory.

5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Apart from being out and about, wasting some small time on a forum which shall remain nameless, I have been fooling around with the Strat. Plugged into the Fender Blues Junior 111.

Oh my! I feel those in houses around to me are not going to be happy being woken up from their hangovers on Christmas Day. But I'll get over that. My ears are still ringing after everything was cranked to the max. Amazing from 15 Watts.

Davothegreat likes this.
  6. SatayKing

Bloody hell. My fingertips are so darn sore. Hadn't pick up a guitar since Christmas Day and even in such a short space of time, the callouses have mostly gone. Time to desensitize the fingers again and push through the inconvenience.

The Y-man likes this.
  7. Davothegreat

We bought my eldest a kid's electric guitar kit from Big W for Christmas. Came with a little amplifier powered by a 9v battery. Surprisingly loud for what it is.

I usually run my Mesa Boogie Mark IV in 20 or 30 watt mode (depending on which switches you flick it can do anything from 20 - 85 watts). It still rips your face off in 20 watt mode with the master volume under 2. All that really changes compared to the higher power modes is the sound becomes thinner with the power turned down.

8. Davothegreat

I used to play a lot when I was in high school, sometimes on a weekend I'd do 6 hours straight. Kinda what you get when you live on a farm with nothing much else to do, especially when Dad hadn't bought petrol for the motorbikes. I used to be able to write my name in the callous on my ring finger with a soldering iron and not feel it :) Now I hardly ever play so I cry after half an hour.

The Y-man likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Spent a couple of weeks visiting the family back home over Christmas - managed to pull the old CZ-5000 out of the shed and set it up for my son to play with. Still works fine!

I was leafing through the instruction manual - I don't think I ever really gave it credit for what it could really do, it was quite sophisticated despite the lack of filters and only very basic effects built in.

Anyway - my son had fun. Synth has some pretty good synth-brass sounds so my son could get stuck into playing Van Halen's Jump and Europe's The Final Countdown (I'm so proud!).

S6_2017-12-18 15.35.36.jpg

When we got back to Sydney, I had one of these waiting to be unboxed as a "family" Christmas present - Roland GAIA SH-01

[​IMG]

... only 37 (full sized!) keys, so a lot smaller than a traditional 61 key synth or 88 key piano, but also lighter and easier to move around.

It's only a Virtual Analog (VA) synth, so is never going to sound as good as a real analog - and it certainly has its limitations. But as a "first synth" for my kids to start to learn how to construct sounds and learn the possibilities with an easy to follow workflow and lots of easily accessible knobs and buttons (no screen / menu at all - completely the opposite of the CZ-5000 which has a lot of menu diving to program it!) ... I think it should be a lot of fun and quite educational.

It's no JD-XA or System-8, but it's a start and I've already had a lot of fun playing it and I'm looking forward to getting back into some synthesis, creating my own sounds and playing more music - especially as the kids start to get more into it as well.

10. SatayKing

That looks like a lot of fun. Only techno item I have is a looper. Sadly, it proves how crap I am.

11. SatayKing

A TC Electronic Ditto Looper. And Santa (me) gave me a Shure SM57 too for the acoustics. Very neat units.

12. Simon Hampel

Ahh - the good ol' Shure SM57 ... the Pacific Gull of the microphone world.

The Shure SM58 is the Silver Gull (Seagull) of the microphone world - you'll find them everywhere. The SM57 slightly less common, but still quite ubiquitous if you know where to look.

They are also generally cleaner, because they don't spend their lives being shoved down the throat of some vocalist like an SM58 :p

I have a quartet of AT2020's in the cupboard which I'm looking forward to hooking up to my new Yamaha MG10XU mixer. I did buy them for podcasting about 12 years ago, but I might try using them to record my son playing saxaphone to see how well they go.

SatayKing likes this.
  13. SatayKing

I'm sure you will have a ball.

Best piece of advice I actually took notice of was from an acquaintance of mine who, although not a professional musician, has been playing for years. First, was use a metronome, second, record and listen to what you are doing. The advice has helped for sure. Still rubbish however.

14. SatayKing

Wresting with a problem today with one of my acoustics. Buzz on the open B. I suspect it could be a neck issue but it also seems to be temperature related. Once the inside temperature increases the problem appears to go away. Interesting discussions with a guitar tech ahead I feel.

15. Simon Hampel

Couple of months back I grabbed one of the few remaining Roland D-05 synth modules.

[​IMG]

This is a very faithful recreation / expansion of the original Roland D50 synth which I used to drool over when I was a kid in high school (released in 1987 and incredibly popular in synth-pop and movie scores throughout the late 80s and well into the 90s).

I bought it for a specific set of sounds (Jarre's Revolutions album released in 1988 was made almost entirely using the D50 - that was also the very first album I ever bought with my own money!) - but I'm incredibly impressed with the quality and depth of the sounds on this little machine. It's no wonder the D50 was so popular.

I currently have it hooked up to my (Roland) digital piano - but will get a dedicated MIDI controller at some point for more synth action (although I'm surprised at how well I'm doing with the heavier piano action).

Also - now I get why the online reviews of the sound quality of the Gaia were so harsh - it sounds very lightweight compared to the depth of the D05/D50. Still - it's a lot of fun to play with and a great intro to sound design (especially compared to the incredibly complex Linear Arithmetic synthesis of the D50!)

In sad news, my old Alesis HR-16 drum machine did a barrel roll recently and wiped the memory - so all of the drum patterns I programmed through the early 90s were lost (no I didn't have a backup - hadn't got around to setting up Sysex dump facilities yet) :(

Might be time to upgrade anyway - I note they are still selling the SR-16 which was the replacement for the HR-16 and released around 1990 :eek: That being said, the new Roland TR-8S looks very sweet - although more than 3x the price of the SR-16!

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2018
    SatayKing and The Y-man like this.
  16. SatayKing

And yesterday's gift to me. Martin 000-17SM. Used but in excellent condition. GAS formula is n=n+1 where n equals the number of guitars you own but that number has yet to be reached. Run that through a neuromorphic supercomputer and see what ya get.

Has been in it's case mostly as the person lost interest which probably means couldn't be bothered to practice.

[​IMG]

It's not the guitar with the problem. A really crap pic. Sorry.

17. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

My husband and I were in Melbourne recently and had time to kill while my mum was at the doctors. We walked into a music shop just for a look and left with an Ibanez Prestige electric guitar... :rolleyes:

18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Did you fly back?
    Wondering how they go as far as flight goes.
    I asusme you have to pay $?

The Y-man

19. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

We flew back and the guitar was couriered up. Looked into it but didn't trust Jetstar and couldn't insure it.

Last time we went to Melb we dr. On the way home stopped off in Brisbane and my other half got an Ibanez Prestige 7 string so I think we had better stop visiting Melbourne....

20. SatayKing

@SatayKing a heads up fella. After changing the strings on a git and then tuning it, make bloody sure your clumsy fingers have hold of the correct tuning peg. Never again will you attempt to tune the G while tightening the B all the while wondering what the heck is happening with the clip-on tuner.

Ka-ping!

Self needs coffee.

The Y-man likes this.