Entertainment & Music Musicians in PChat :)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by EN710, 28th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Hubby is enjoying his freedom after stressful work environment and recently got back into piano. He made his own channel to keep himself motivated so I thought I'd share below.

Anyone here play instruments? If yes what do you play? Any recording of it or even a YouTube channel?

Giuseppe, Kesse and Sackie like this.
  2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I've been known to play a pretty good air guitar :D:D

EN710 likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

He's great! Love the piano. I'm afraid I only play my vocal cords....some would say acceptable-ish.

EN710 likes this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Thank you :D
    I think you're pretty good ;)
    Taking out your answer above out of context also sound like you yell at your tradies a lot :rolleyes:

Sackie likes this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Take video :D
    Might be able to go to Championship

Brian84 likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

After being heavily into music during my teenage years (piano / keyboards), I unfortunately got too busy with my career to keep it up. Now that I've got kids I'm enjoying helping them learn instruments and am starting getting back into playing myself.

About 12 years ago I bought a good quality digital piano, which I never got a chance to play much - but the kids are now putting it to good use and I'm playing more myself too.

EN710 likes this.
  7. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I got a guitar for my birthday last week. I'm a complete beginner. Let the games begin ;)

Sackie and EN710 like this.
  8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel what kind of music do you and kids usually play? The good thing is that once you learn it you never really lost it... Just a bit rusty

@radson give updates on how you go :D

9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Not musical instruments but I love to sing.

WestOz, Phantom, EN710 and 1 other person like this.
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I love to sing too. I have been into choirs in the past - mostly classical, but one choir many years ago sang black gospel, and there was a barbershop choir (not a quartet).

EN710 likes this.
  11. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

As a musician I'm a very good listener.

EN710 likes this.
  12. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I wish! Currently sitting here reading my book while my other half is playing a guitar that he's restored from his teenage days.

I used to play clarinet and was even in the town concert band but it never felt natural and was always hard work. I'd love to be able to sing but if I was going to play an instrument then piano would be it.

Though my husband is keen for me to learn bass so I can accompany him....

EN710 likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

I flew over to Adelaide last week to spend a few days with my parents and help them tidy up the garage/cabin which has become a dumping ground for everything which wouldn't fit in the house and has about 30 years of accumulated junk in there.

To be fair - there is quite a bit of my old stuff in there too.

I have several keyboards (only one of which is operational) stored there which I unfortunately don't have space for in our current home.

However, I did manage to locate my drum machine (Alesis HR16) - and was able to squeeze it into my luggage for the return flight, so we've been enjoying the sounds of 80s drum loops the past few days and the kids have been enjoying making lots of noise.

I had programmed some pretty sophisticated rhythms way back - it's interesting to go back through them and try and identify the songs they went with. Some I have no recollection of ever programming!

My favourite would be the full drum sequence from the Oakenfold Mix of INXS's Suicide Blonde from their 2004 "INXS Squared - The Remixes" album.

I'll teach my 9yo son how to program new drum loops and see what he can do with it. It's not a TR808 or 909 or anything , but it's still a good way to learn the basics of loop programming.

For those of you who are interested in the sound - apparently the 1992 hit "Mr Wendal" by Arrested Development used the HR16 for the drum track:

For those who like their music more metallic (and somewhat experimental), my research indicates that the HR16 was used on Godflesh's early albums and they really pushed the machine beyond what it was designed for by layering kick sounds to make them more "raw and nasty". Not my kind of music - but I'm always interested to see how people get uniqueness out of these old machines - so I must try some layering and see what I can do with it!

EN710 likes this.
  14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

How about both Bass and Piano? ;)

Oldest musical instrument :)

:) and I bet you also have really good ears

Xenia likes this.
  15. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

You should have another look at those old keyboards. Some of them are now worth quite a lot of money.

16. Simon Hampel

My son is still learning (this is only his 2nd year of piano lessons, and he started Clarinet lessons this year at school) - so mostly just plays what his teacher asks him to play, but he is starting to experiment more with his playing, which I love hearing. He loves listening to any music with a good beat - doesn't really go for the slow stuff much. I'm trying to encourage him towards the more Latin/Jazz style of music because I think he could really do well there.

I've got a very broad and rather eclectic taste in music, but when I'm playing I tend to go for more ambient style music. My biggest musical influence would be Jean-Michel Jarre, but I also grew up in the 80's synth pop world - so also love all of that type of music.

I'm loving the resurgence of analog synths in music now - so many great keyboards available these days and for a lot less money than we were paying in the 80s and early 90s!

EN710 likes this.
  17. Simon Hampel

Nah - not mine. Casio CZ-5000 was kind of groundbreaking in its own way, but could never compete with the Yamaha DX7 (filters!). It was my first synth and I bought it second-hand from a school friend back in about 1987 and it's still going strong (even after sitting in my parent's shed for the past 15 years!). Going to pull it out and let my son play with it over Christmas when we go visit my parents. Wish I had room to set it up at home!

The Roland U20 was a rompler which sounded great and did exactly what I needed when I bought it - but if you can find one which actually still works, you'll pick it up quite cheaply. I did find instructions online on how to clean the contacts and get it working again (a problem which eventually afflicts all U20's apparently), so I might tackle that one day when I've got the time and patience to disassemble it and clean it all.

So many great new synths available now at pretty reasonable prices - and even re-releases of old synths! I'm eyeing off the Roland Boutique line ... the D-05 sounds amazing - I spent many an afternoon playing the original Roland D50 (drooling over it really) in the basement at Allans/Brashs music off Gawler Place near Rundle Mall in Adelaide while at uni in the early 90s.

Curious about the SH-01A too since I actually got to play with the original SH-101 while in high school - my music teacher owned one and let me borrow it one time during the school holidays! The JP-08 (Jupiter-8) and JX-03 (JX-3P) sound interesting too.

I'm also loving the sound of the Korg Minilogue.

So many toys my wife will never let me buy (not until I buy her a new house anyway!) :eek:

EN710 likes this.
  18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

EN710 and Simon Hampel like this.
  19. Simon Hampel

Another machine I spent quite a bit of time playing in my youth. Loved the ambient sounds.

20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Somewhere along the journey, I have lost my Boss CS-2 pedal.
    I really need to go and buy a replacement (CS-3) while the Mrs is not looking......

The Y-man