QLD Mt Gravatt East vs Rochedale South vs Springwood

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Bris Jay, 7th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bris Jay

Bris Jay Well-Known Member

I know that there is a thread on Logan and one on Mt Gravatt East but I didn't want to hijack them...

I'm looking to buy my first investment property but I will live in it for a few years. I have a large house in Eight Mile Plains that will rent well and it's too big for me so it's just wasted rent money.

I'm looking at around high $400k's for Springwood. up to $500k for Rochedale South and around mid $500's for Mt Gravatt East.

My question is what do you think of the prospects for these suburbs? I will be living in the property for a 1-2 years so I will want to renovate MGE before I move in and add value over time. These are the kinds of properties that I'm looking at:

64 Jardine Drive Springwood Qld 4127 - House for Sale #120186225 - realestate.com.au
    14 Denny Way Rochedale South Qld 4123 - House for Sale #121654994 - realestate.com.au
    40 Invermore Street Mount Gravatt East Qld 4122 - House for Sale #121994858 - realestate.com.au

What would you pick and why?

2. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Where do you work? Key criteria in my mind.

A few years ago I was similar situation.. at the time the differential between springwood / rochedale south and MGE was not much. I work in the city or close by, and being closer to the city is a huge plus, even if its only a few km, that's seems forever with peak hour traffic. 20 mins extra each way doesn't seem much but that is 6 days a year extra stuck in traffic. If commute time isn't a consideration, then there may be some pluses with the newer/large houses down south.

Being close to Carindale and Garden City is a huge plus too.

3. Bris Jay

Bris Jay Well-Known Member

My partner and I both work in the CBD. My current house is just off Logan Rd (near RACQ). The commute will be worse going just a few KM south but we will be able to deal with it knowing that it's not long term.

I was more interested in the areas and the dollars that I'm looking at spending. Is one a better choice from the perspective of investing over the medium-long term?

4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Who knows? Are there any threads on Rochedale South or Springwood? Should there be?

5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes. I would agree with this.