Mowing, rain, long grass, what to do?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by wylie, 25th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We pay for mowing, tiny back yard, small footpath. My brother does this when he does other jobs in that suburb. It follows a regular pattern, but wet weather means it is pushed back at times, and this is growing season, so things are... growing.

The tenant today has asked (via our PM) that it be mown within the next few days and again on about 13 November. (I suspect a party may be planned around then... why pick a date?)

My brother has been mowing our properties for many years (and those of our parents when they were alive), and we've never experienced a tenant who doesn't understand when it rains, the lawn grows and cannot be mown to the usual schedule.

This is the third or fourth time this tenant has called me (before we used a PM) and now emailed the PM to ask when the grass will be mown.

When mowing is included in the rent, does anyone else have tenants trying to run the show like this? I'm paying for it, and they deserve what is included in the rent, but rain means no mowing, faster growing and longer grass until the mowing man can catch up.

Asking the PM to call the mowing man won't get the run sheet changed.

I could ask if they wish to remove the mowing from the lease but don't want to pay to have a new lease prepared. I checked one tax year and it was about $15 per week cost to us (very small area to mow).

I could ask my brother if he wants to ditch this small job, but I'd have the same issue with anyone else who can't mow in wet weather, and who will have to reschedule and try to catch up.

Am I being unreasonable in asking the PM to tell them wet weather means the job is pushed back and it will be done as soon as possible?

2. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

I would not change a thing with your brother's routine/scheduling.

I'd tell the tenants exactly that.. and if they want the lawns mowed on a particular date then they are at liberty to go ahead and arrange it themselves. You are already paying enough and they should be grateful that you care enough to provide lawn mowing as part of the rent/tenancy.

It's a classic case of 'give them an inch, they'll try take a mile'

Angel, Redwing, Stoffo and 6 others like this.
  3. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

You're not being unreasonable at all- I think that's the perfect thing to tell the Agent to tell the tenant.

4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

That’s so cheap! You would be paying double to contract someone else. They should be happy with that!

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

in the USA landlord gets blighted/fined for long grass would you believe:(

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depends too on the standard interval. If its in QLD and monthly its going to be long grass quickly. If its each fortnight in summer that possibly reasonable.

wylie, Antoni0, Joynz and 2 others like this.
  7. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Depends on the schedule and what “delayed due to rain” means.

When it stops raining does the whole schedule move back a couple of days - or does family go to the back of the queue .

qak, Pernoi, Joynz and 1 other person like this.
  8. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Just say no and it is when it is - all you can be is reasonable, and that is as soon as practical for the work to be done - can't mow in the rain the mower just gets clogged up. I've been in QCAT and the Tenant sooked at how long it took to get a job done etc, the Adjudicator gave the tenant a reality check on their expectations lol, was pleasing to listen to.

Gockie, wylie and Antoni0 like this.
  9. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

This is what I've being trying to tell you lot on here for a while, the rents are high and tenants want some type of satisfaction regardless of the cost incurred at the owners expense, you'll find if the tenant complains to these tenant advocacy groups you'll have no option but to mow the grass as it turns into a safety concern.

10. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

There is an option... and it's an easy one.

The rent gets reduced and the tenant becomes responsible for the mowing, edging and maintenance of the lawns, gardens and all other external areas of the property.

See how they like it then !!

qak, wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.
  11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

This is why I only schedule work Mon-Thurs ;)
    If it rains or I pick up an extra job during the week I have Friday to play catch up (even Sat occasionally).

As it comes into growing season they days get longer (both sunlight and work hours) to cover the same area's I'd do in winter in half the time :rolleyes:

I try to look at every mowing job as an annual job lot then divide it by 13 (4 weekly) or 20 (2 weekly during dls & 4 weekly winter), yet another ver winter some customers think they're being ripped off, yet mid growing season or Autumn they are getting more than what they pay for that day :confused: (most don't get it still).....

Plenty of people take on more job's over winter, then at this time of year they just can't keep up, rookie mistake :p

Otherwise I'm with @Phoenix Pete
    at their (the tenants) own expense :D

Michael Mitchell and wylie like this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Family doesn't go to the back of the queue. This house is done with the schedule of houses for that area. Rain pushes the whole schedule back.

qak likes this.
  13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

This ^^^
    We try to bundle an area or suburbs together, otherwise we lose too much time traveling back and forward across town.

It's hard enough to be competitive with so many undercutting just to win jobs, then every second strata wants to cut costs because manager/council/water fee's went up (so they screw the cleaner/gardener) or people think it's Bali and want to barter :rolleyes:

With our insurance/public liability and running costs going up unless you are servicing the top end of town it's a mugs game now :(

wylie likes this.
  14. Antoni0

I've been fighting this in the backstage for years and it totally drives me insane, when you leave the mowing up to them, they rarely mow it all and the weeds overtake the lawn in Qld, when they leave they just give it a short mow and then a few weeks later you have a yard that is 80% weeds again.

All the down pipes and external plumbing pipes get damaged by their whipper snipper, they just don't care. I don't really care if they have a yard full of weeds but the houses look terrible when you go to re rent again and it can upset some neighbours when they take pride of their own place.

Last edited: 25th Oct, 2021
    Looking4PM, Stoffo and wylie like this.
  15. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

:) Longer grass much better for the planet. Mines a bit long at the moment, a mini carbon credit.

Angel and Michael Mitchell like this.
  16. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

We were sacked by our whipper snipper man. Text read 'dear BFL, today I edged your grass for the last time' and some other stuff about an employee. Didn't read it all.

Made me feel very small.

The tree fell down in the wind, the council took sooo long to move fallen tree that the grass grew, the whipper snipper man was annoyed. That was it .. we were sacked!!

True story!!

datto and PinkPanther like this.
  17. Looking4PM

Looking4PM Active Member

Agree. My tenants just moved out and the lawn was so bad I had to mow first then spray with weed and feed. Now there are large dead patches everywhere.

Stoffo and Antoni0 like this.
  18. Antoni0

Yes, this is pretty much me also after every tenant leaving. I don't understand how their logic works, weeds tend to need mowing more often than normal grass cover as the weeds grow quicker, also if you have exposed soil you generally drag more dirt into the home = more cleaning, not only that, but you look like the most untidy person in the street.

Last edited: 28th Oct, 2021
    qak and Stoffo like this.
  19. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

It's threads like this that feed the Shares v Property debate no end. :D

qak, Antoni0, Heinz57 and 3 others like this.
  20. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Overthinking a very easy solvable issue.

Opinion only.

Keeping grass in order isn't that hard, it's more a people and relationship thing?