WA Moving to Perth-Budget 700-760k

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by QueenstowntoPerth, 19th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. QueenstowntoPerth

QueenstowntoPerth Active Member

2. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Exactly! And the public schools

Shogun likes this.
  3. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Greenwood is a bit slower at the moment. If these statistics are correct Padbury would be easier to buy in and maybe even Duncraig 3x1 to upgrade later?

QueenstowntoPerth likes this.
  4. QueenstowntoPerth

Maybe...
    Do you know much about north west suburbs such as Kinross, Heathridge or Currumbine? Is it only Clarkson to avoid? Schools would be Belridge or Kinross High...are they similar standard to Greenwood/Woodvale as they look similar demographics... & similar on Better Education website.

Quiet family suburbs ? Or more unpleasant people/rough : )

5. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I don’t know much about those suburbs except Heathridge. I have a few friends there but there kids are around 30 so I have no idea of schools. It does have a similar family friendly feel.

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Is it just me or is everything in Perth that's decent and fairly priced going under offer immediately atm?

7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

With an under supply of properties and high rents its what i would expect to happen

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2022
    JL1 likes this.
  8. Balman

Balman Well-Known Member

Yes, under offer before home open too. Dont know about fairly priced though.
    We seem to have a trades shortage here so new builds are taking forever and anyone who is keen on jumping on the property bandwagon is buying anything that comes on the market instantly.
    Rents are crazy high in comparison a property that not long ago was renting for 400-450 per week is now at over 650 per week

9. QueenstowntoPerth

Thanks, will check Heathridge out. Do you think Buyers Agent is the way to go if we are going to succeed in buying a home? Crazy times...

10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes! A few agents message me listings before advertising them. I think it would be a lot easier. I’m helping my son purchase, it’s hard.

11. QueenstowntoPerth

Do you recommend a Buyers Agent? Also, do you know the cost of this service? Thanks : )

37650 likes this.
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

No I’ve never used one - do a search as it’s been bought up a few times recently

13. Carter007

Carter007 Active Member

Last month picked up a decent 4x1 with 2 toilets in Hillarys, close to park, quiet st on subdividable corner block. Solid build. Renting already at over $600/wk. Duncraig SHS zone and close to beach. If you can stretch a bit, Hillarys would be worth considering.

QueenstowntoPerth, Propin and Shogun like this.
  14. hdb2

hdb2 Member

All are nice enough burbs. From the three you mention, Currambine would be the nicest, very family friendly and nice primary schools ( public it shares with Ocean Reef for high school). Kinross and Heathridge would be on par, both seem on the up ( the new ocean reef marina being built probably helping all these suburbs. ). Id say Kiross slightly more family friendly but not much in it. I would avoid Clarkson (some crossover here with Kinross High too).

15. Southerly

Southerly New Member

We recently moved from Clarkson to Currambine so can say a few words about both. We built a house in the Somerley rise part of Clarkson and never had any issues in the 14 years we were there. Not all of Clarkson deserves the bad reptutation it receives. Its a good suburb for a first home buyer, renter and young couples. Its close to the beach, Ocean keys shopping area and a train station. The public high schooling is the major let down in that suburb.

As for Currambine, so far we love it. We have noticed it has a great family vibe with friendly middle aged people who will stop and have a chat when walking our dog etc. In the first week we were there we met 16 neighbours in our street. It has a neighbours helping neighbours kinda feel which is rare these days and is very kid friendly. It adjoins Joondalup (satellite city), close to the Ocean Reef marina project and has a train station to get you to the city.

Another criteria for you might be what employment you are seeking as this may assist in the suburb selection. At current fuel prices unless your close to a train station or have a tesla, being close to where you work might help with as much as $300 a month on a mortgage.

16. QueenstowntoPerth

Thank you Southerly, great info/advice : ) Petrol cheap compared to here!

17. QueenstowntoPerth

Hi everyone, we are nearing the time to putting our house on the market and moving to Perth. I have decided we will look at these suburbs to check out: Willetton, Greenwood/Kingsley, Kinross/Currambine. (Looking at Ocean Reef High, Greenwood High, Willetton High, Kinross High/Mindarie Senior)

Would it be worth checking out Halls Head/Erskine/MeadowSprings? Someone suggested it on another forum as more similar to Queenstown? Water/smaller/touristy...but I have doubts...
    Houses look very cheap but looks like much lower socio economic area, much more crime(Halls Head), much worse public schools. Am I right? We could then afford to go private and I see one very good school(Frederick Irwin) but looks impossible to get into plus not keen on the religious study ( I thought it was a waste of time at my boarding school years ago....) So stuck with the crappy high schools if can't get into private! My kids are pretty 'average' so won't be at the top of any list!

Anyone in Perth that could advise on choosing between these areas? Prob not Willetton as we want a nice house and think over budget. Thank you for your help : )

18. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Why I dont like both Kinross and halls head is that on top of schools being average, youre taking a big punt that the work you guys end up doing is not say at the opposite end of the city. I think if you end up moving all the way to Perth, to a sub par suburb in terms of infrastructure and local amenity including schools and then find yourself spending between 2 to 3 hours a day commuting you'll soon wonder if you did the right thing.

I've known literally double digit numbers of migrants who regretted buying on the outskirts when it later meant such significant travel time they hardly saw Their kids on weekdays or it meant turning down good job offers cos of the above.

Just keep that in mind

Look up a map of decent rating government schools and their catchment areas and focus on catchments within say 10 mins or.15 of the ocean, you may have some options.

Often you will find a few hundred thousand dollars difference jn median house prices in suburbs that are in rhe same school catchment.

19. QueenstowntoPerth

I work from home. My kids have never had to go to a holiday program and I'm here everyday after and before school and any sick days, etc. My husband is a self employed commercial painter/decorator and I know a lot of work is in the city but I'm pretty sure he could get work all over or at least 20-30 mins away from home. I may be wrong but at 9am this morning the map showed it was 30 minutes to the city from Kinross. The last few months he has been travelling about 45 minutes to the next town for work but home all weekend and always home for dinner. We won't have a mortgage and don't live an extravagant life. Also, school can be 'average'.

20. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

If your plan is actually to buy immediately once you mo

Ok no worries.

Just keep this conversation in mind the next construction downturn, when a self employed trade inevitably has to expand his or her service area to all of metro Perth and finds himself losing a lot of time in the car on the way to a job. Only difference is that unlike salaried employees, it's easy to.quantify how much travel time "costs" a tradesman, eg an extra 20 mins each way per day at $100 per hour works out to nearly $350 a week, ie not insignificant money

In the last downturn I had some jobs where a trade was onsite in canning vale but lived in two rocks, and he whinged about it constantly because his wife had chosen two rocks he had gotten away with it in the past when he could pick and choose jobs closer to home

Btw unless you have a teleporter you cannot get from a home in Kinross in peak hour to a cbd destination In 30 mins.

Citycat88 and Shogun like this.