VIC Moving to Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Zitkviz, 23rd Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zitkviz

Zitkviz Member

Hi,

I am planning to go to Melbourne from Sydney so I can check some of the properties there. I will be travelling by car. Never travelled so far before by car. Does it make sense to travel by car to Melbourne from Sydney with family?

Also, I have international overseas Driving License. Its been a year in Sydney now. Because of the lockdowns I was not able to get Australian License.

Is it ok to travel from Sydney to Melbourne in this case.

Reason for taking car is that, I have to rent a car in Melbourne otherwise/ or uber.The other thing is that I wont be able to drive around suburbs and see the suburbs and schools to decide on property.

Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks

2. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

If your license is valid in Sydney, it should be valid in Melbourne.

Plenty of people drive between Sydney and Melbourne.. just make sure to take breaks or share driving with someone.

PinkPanther and Stoffo like this.
  3. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Sydney to Melbourne!? Easy piecey!:)

Zitkviz likes this.
  4. standtall

If you were required to get an Australian driving license in 3 months after arriving and you didn’t get one due to covid, you can’t legally drive anywhere in Australia including Sydney. You will be considered driving unlicensed and if caught you can get fined or suspended/banned from driving in Australia. If you got into an accident driving unlicensed, you will find yourself in a lot of trouble.

Last edited: 23rd Nov, 2021
    Zitkviz likes this.
  5. Zitkviz

Zitkviz Member

Hi I just called the and checked just now, they said I still have 6months more to apply for license because of covid situation.But, am still worried.

6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

This. It could go wrong in so many ways.

Hit a Ferrari, insurance doesn't apply - painful, but can recover from.

Hurt yourself, insurance doesn't apply - painful, may not recover from.

Injure a third party, insurance doesn't apply - this could take you down, forever.

Zitkviz, standtall and PinkPanther like this.
  7. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

Don't do it man. Spent 30 years in Melbourne. Cost of living and the traffic is unbearable.

8. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

Definitely do it, it’s an incredible city, so glad I made the move from Qld ;)

Zitkviz likes this.
  9. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

i couldn't agree more!!! i left Melb I'm done with it!!!! I'll move to the country if anything. worked in the city in construction, Fridays would take 3 hours to get home for a 40 min drive home. and every other day 1.5 to 2 hours. glad I'm diving 5 mins for work now! more family time!

i feel sorry for the young families struggling to make ends meet, been there done that,

Ariyahn2011 and Zitkviz like this.
  10. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

Times are changing mate. People are now valuing their time. I just can't explain how hard it was to accept 15 hours of my time was getting eaten up on weekdays. Just imagine including weekends to go into the city or other regions for entertainment.

sauber likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Sounds like it’s much worse in Sydney- even when people travel by public transport - judging by threads on this site in the past!

The Y-man and craigc like this.
  12. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

Compared to Sydney, Melbourne traffic and cost of living is a breeze.

The Y-man, sash and craigc like this.
  13. standtall

Not really .. Melbourne traffic is much worse and public infrastructure is really poor in outer suburbs .. plus poor governance exposed by covid mishandling.. It will be quite a while before most people will consider even visiting Melbourne let alone moving there.

sauber and TAJ like this.
  14. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

The amount of outgoings I had literally was pointless driving into city! Tolls were 100-150pw then parking there's $80 pw. fuel costs there $100 maybe now 120 depending of vehicle. And sitting in traffic stop start putting strain on your car constantly. By the time I worked everything out I was left with literally 400pw to buy food pay bills and pay the mortgage. When you took the train in that's great utility sometimes you get delays on the line and that's a real pain!!!!! Especially in the morning!!!!

I thought why am I doing this!?!?! Cause chasing the money when I could make a little less and have more family time! And be happier working much closer to home!

Seems a no brainer to me. Work smarter not harder.

My brother works 6 days a week in the city and doing 10 hr days. No thank you. Hard pass!! It make it worth it when you work a Saturday cause your in double time but still get taxed a ********

15. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Despite some of the Melb v Syd debate you’ll be fine.
    Allow approx 9 hours of driving time (plus rest stops) depending on where in Syd and Melb you are travelling too.

Having driven in both I find Melb traffic easier but don’t drive to the CBD if that is your work location. If there is an accident on major road there will be delays but Melb will have an alternate (slower) alternative route. You won’t be stuck for hours on a freeway without an alternative.
    For CBD work use public transport (generally train) as best option depending on how close you are looking to live.

If you are WFH flexible then ensure you have a teams room / study in your search as well as enough bedrooms for the family requirements.

Good luck with your move and I’m sure plenty will help with suggestions on suburbs and the good areas you can consider.

Zitkviz likes this.
  16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

In Melbourne at the moment. Just visiting. Beautiful city and prettier than Sydney....pity they don't have beaches and the harbour though.