VIC Moving Thornbury borders

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by FromWatsy, 19th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. FromWatsy

FromWatsy Member

I was kinda happy to find out that my future residence located in South Preston is currently considered ( aka under petition) to be merged with Thornbury. Domain.com news have branded the idea as snobish, but since their article came out number of supporters jumped from 30 in past 2 weeks to 250+ in one day.
    Darebin Council: Make Preston South part of Thornbury
    I agree it makes sense cause the vibe in Sth Preston feels like Thornbury and is different to the rest of Preston. However some might think the change is pushed to increase ppty/rent prices. Its not quite so, as rent rates depend more on supply/demand and distances to city or train station, not so on the suburb name. Also if ppty price will increase so would council rates. So it really comes to how ppl feel about the area where they live.
    What do guys, ladies think? Is it good idea? How many votes would be required for the council to approve it?

Last edited: 19th May, 2017
  2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Darebin council is pretty slow and to do this would cost $$. Unless it is something that would greatly benefit the council and the surroundings residents otherwise it would be just like a corporate exercise to change the logo of the company

Though if it goes through - prices will go in this section of Preston south