House & Home Moving on unwelcomed "parkers"

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ghoti, 12th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Wow - Who would have thought such a simple topic would have elicited such vigorous debate! I won't address all the comments one by one, but will share some thoughts.

Right up front I recognised I'm being precious, that the guy has a legal right to park there, and that I don't own the road, but thanks for the reminder. I had hoped that, perhaps, there may have been something I overlooked that might incent him to visit less frequently.

Yes, I have parked in front of other people's houses before, but never for 10 - 12 hours straight, and certainly not 5 - 6 days per week, every week, for several months on end. Yes, I do understand that people that live near hospitals (or restaurants or theaters or in inner city areas etc) constantly have "foreigner" cars parked out front...but I don't live near such "attractions". Its just a quiet residential street in the 'burbs.

Mowing was an issue as I like to maintain my property, including the nature strip, and was concerned a stone or gumnut thrown up by the mower might damage his car. Also the whipper snipper throws grass and dirt up when I do the edges. I can't take leave days to mow when he's not parked...so now if I can't mow between 9:00am and 10:00am-ish of a weekend I mow and sometimes his car gets dirty. As a car enthusiast I don't like doing it, but don't see an option.

In short, I've become tired of having to work around him. My daughter parks her car in front of neighbours' places, as do visitors (unless we expected them and park our car elsewhere). Some of the older neighbours have also expressed concerns he may be "casing" the street as apparently he returns to the car several times during the day.

Now, moving onto the positive, I like the wheel clamp idea the best. Particularly as it provides a good return on investment if a fee is payable to secure release. Shows someone has been listening to Steve McKnight's "turn a problem into a profitable solution" philosophy.

I don't have a spare car to park there - my daughter and wife both drive to work and start before he arrives. However if one of you kind PC folk would lend me one its a great option - I'd say a Bentleigh or Maybach would make the requisite "pompous *******" statement.

Last edited: 14th Dec, 2018
    WattleIdo, EN710 and Anthony416 like this.
  2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

While it may not be for 10-12 hours straight, after you left, the next person may have parked there for a few hours, then another person and so on. The owner of the house in front may have found themselves in the same predicament as you having to work around them when mowing the lawn or having their wife and daughter park elsewhere. Look at the inconvenience you’ve caused them as that might have been the time they were free to do those tasks.

3. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Hi @Jacque your SSL certificate has expired.

4. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Would be interesting if they were managing to renew the rego.

5. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

If this is going on for months, then it would seem the "status quo" for the area and something you'd accept when deciding to live there. Agree the inconvenience is the same, but its expected.

Regardless, its time to move on.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You're not my mum are you? Her neighbour has 7 kids, 3 garages, 2 undercover spots & a double driveway but still manages to park 4 cars on the street (one permanently partially across her driveway - she doesn't drive).

She can't sweep up the leaves which stop in her gutter. :eek:

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

That's one issue solved.

Now, let's get on to the situation where the relative of a tenant occupies one of two visitors parking spaces for over six months.

8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Strata would have rules on that if it's apartment?

9. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Thinking you have to work around him is your decision. You've created your own problem for yourself.

Just mow when you feel like it, and his car getting dirty/chipped might be incentive enough for him to park elsewhere.

WattleIdo and neK like this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yes, but those rules are likely to be impossible to enforce?

What can you legally do about a car parked on private property? My understanding is that you can't (legally) get it towed?

11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

No but my strata back then decided to put that lock thingy on visitor spot and unit owner need to get key from management for their visitors o_O

On another occassion a car actual parked in non parking area regularly, close to turn on underground car park in blind spot, so it's a bit dangerous for incoming car. Can't tow it so some people start leaving trash on the car (nothing sticky - wrappers and empty can etc) and they moved their car within a couple days. Not that this is a good way to do it tho

12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I assume the strata rules on parking indefinately in a visitors spot would not be able to be enforced or very hard to do so. As the spot is in an underground parking space, I guess the visitor was given the use of a remote for the garage door. Plus the person who told me about the matter didn't want to make an issue of it, preferring to keep on relatively good terms. No idea how other residents felt about it.

13. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Leave your wheely bins out in the road all week? Might only need to for a few weeks to reset his routine?

Ghoti and Scott No Mates like this.
  14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Some councils will issue fines if you do this.
    Marg

money likes this.
  15. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

The he needs to factor that risk (likely slim) into his cost/benefit assessment. How bad does he want the space clear?

16. money

money Well-Known Member

Some people think they are entitled to treat the public road in front of their house as their own. Very selfish people...Visitors and daughters can't park in directly in front of the house, oh no! They don't have legs to walk if they park a few car spaces down the road?

luckyone likes this.
  17. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Good thinking 99! I don't believe we have any regs on wheely bins in our area, but I'll check.

18. 738

738 Well-Known Member

Not hard for someone to move a couple of wheelie bins if they want a spot.

money and Marg4000 like this.
  19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Most councils in Vic will have an expectation that your bin isn’t left on the nature strip - there are fines, but they are likely to issue a warning first.

Therefore, I can’t imagine Council would be happy with you leaving the bins on the road - as it is potentially hazardous.

20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Exactly. Because I have to maintain the nature strip, I do feel somewhat entitled. If there was enough room for everyone, I wouldn't mind. But there's not. And leaving it there all weekend every weekend is just selfish. Some of you PC-ers are genuinely nice and would be able to let it go. But most, nah, come off it!
    I'd be out there with the hose, the dogs, the mower, whatever it takes. Watch and wait: wtf is he doing?
    I would definitley say something - as friendly as possible but still get to the point. If that doesn't work, go the parked car, trailer, caravan, whatever.

This would all be fine if it was ONE of the following:
    • explained by the parker after receiving the note
    • just sometimes
    • part of the deal to mow your lawn and water the nature strip on a regular basis for you, which we all do for the council when we live in the house adjacent to the nature strip.

Last edited: 16th Dec, 2018
    Ghoti likes this.