Moving into Brisbane inner city

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Noobieboy, 21st Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. namrata

namrata Well-Known Member

Kim, I am just getting a handle on the different areas in Brisbane myself. What suburbs make up the southern bay? In Bulimba myself and agree with you. I absolutely love the neighborhood.

2. namrata

Kim, are you saying that Ison, Dickson, Pashen and Baringa is the wrong side of Morningside??

3. BNE_Kim

BNE_Kim Member

Hi Neighbour :D It is a wonderful neighbourhood, both family friendly and funky without the drama of inner city... but the plane noise gets me now, I wouldn't want it to be worse and it is going to be sadly... I really can't believe the Brisbane Airport Corp (a private company) has gotten away with impacting so much premium real estate. In Sydney the best areas (imho) rarely if ever hear a plane going overhead, and the affected areas inner west and south people choose to live there for the vibe and proximity to the city, but no one loves the noise, I have many friends in the Inner West of Sydney and all would love the airport to go away lol but at least they don't run all night!!!!

The areas we are now looking at to avoid future plane noise are Manly, Lota, Thorneside, Wellington Point... maybe even Cleveland etc. they are also a bit of a mixed bag too with some Streets being better than others, but surprisingly the train is the same time to work for my Hubby as the CityCat ferry and only slightly longer for me when I factor in having to walk through the city from Riverside... so it will be no different time wise.

No, those are precisely the Streets I was saying are the ones you would WANT in Morningside, the Hawthorne side of Morning side - East of Wynnum Road.

The areas I do not personally like are the ones off Richmond road and over past there towards Cannon Hill... imho they are directly under the current approach and departure flight paths and are cheaper for a reason, we looked at property over there and felt that some of the residents in some of the blocks we looked at were not the sort we would want to have as neighbours nor as tenants for any investment property, I am talking a bunch of them smoking and loud talking in the common garage area in one unit block, and junky old cars taking up all the visitor parking, whilst one resident had his garage door open and it was filled with a workshop set up... so clearly there would never be any visitor parking available. Those streets also have nothing interesting going on in terms of shops or cafes etc... unlike the Hawthorne side streets you mentioned, which are all an easy walk to cinemas, shops, cool stuff :)

KayTea likes this.
  4. namrata

Thanks for that clarification!! I am actually looking to move to Morningside from Bulimba as I feel like you can still get great amenities without a Bulimba level of investment. If you ever pass by my on Oxford street do say hello =)

KayTea and BNE_Kim like this.
  5. BNE_Kim

BNE_Kim Member

Hehe will do, we are on Oxford Street too :D

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well, an extra runway = improving Brisbane's economy status, etc = virtually no impact = clutching at straws/ every little news byte IMHO
    I have a house in one of the streets off Richmond Rd (south of it). No unit blocks in sight. You referring north of Richmond??

7. BNE_Kim

BNE_Kim Member

I was talking about those areas directly around the train station, there are no doubt some great houses within that area. The unit blocks around the station are what I am specifically referring to.

It breaks my heart how dumb this Airport expansion is, it would be the equivalent of Sydney building a parallel runway that massivel impacted the Eastern Suburbs, it just would NEVER happen (well Malcolm would never allow it to begin with as he would be directly affected LOL ).

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

It actually will have a huge impact as many operators currently suffer excessive delays and holding. Extra capacity will be added on many routes and charter/ freight operations will be more viable. The extra parallel RWY's impact will be significant.

Not sure about the economic status part...

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I tell you what's regrettable. I didn't mean to post those comments. Thought it was a bit smart arsey. Anyway i have a few in Brisbane and hope you guys are right.

10. BNE_Kim

BNE_Kim Member

Here is a monster thread about it from Whirlpool forums... the majority of posters are complaining about the noise levels now..

Brisbane Flight Paths Changed? - Real Estate - Home

This post in particular sums up the impact the current flight paths are having, and it is set to be worse and impact the inner North East as well with the second runway.

Brisbane Flight Paths Changed? - Real Estate - Home

11. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Wow thank you (all). Great to know re flight path and etc. Might be looking at buying somewhere further away from current flight paths. Thanks for the details.

12. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Suburbs were classified initially based on the number of aircraft noise complaints (contacts and clients) recorded by Air Services Australia over the past 5 years. These suburbs were identified as High Noise Complaints (HNC); Moderate Noise Complaints (MNC) and Minimal/No Noise Complaints (NNC).

[​IMG]

BNE_Kim, ndpjai and willair like this.
  13. namrata

So new thought/question. You know how you can look up airport noise overlays on properties - when do the new flight path routes take effect on the city overlay guide?? Being that in just over 2 years this will change, shouldn't it already be implemented??

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’m fairly sure the new flight paths are out in the public domain.

15. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I've lived in Cannon Hill (and a few of those other suburbs you mentioned) and the planes were always a total non issue, I only noticed them when I was outside floating in the pool looking up. If there was any discernible noise, my sub conscious must have learned to block it out.

I suspect the flight path may be a bit of a pain for those north side suburbs (Ascot, Hamilton) but Woolloongabba for example is still a solid 12km as the crow flies from the airport, they aren't exactly knocking the aerial off the roof at that sort of distance. Vs ascot & Hamilton are around half that.

jimmy likes this.
  16. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I get the occasional plane fly over on the weekend in Wooloowin - 5km from the CBD.