Moving for a better quality of life.

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Serveman, 12th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

We moved from Sydney to Wollongong last year. Our lives are much better for it.

We have 3 other couples/friends who also moved in 2016 for a 'trial' in the gong and in each couple one person is still commuting to Sydney for work - all are looking to find work in Wollongong despite knowing they are likely to take a $$ hit. They all believe there is now no chance they will go back.

I would bet more people make the move and love it than those who regret it and return,

2. Big Lez

Big Lez Well-Known Member

I live in the Sutherland Shire and a lot of my friends in their 20's and 30's are all fleeing down to Wollongong and commuting to Sydney for work. Several people from from my work commute from Wollongong on a daily basis.

I noticed a lot of large businessses allow their employees to spend 1-2 days per week working from home. Only having to commute a few days per week from Wollongong isn't too bad (considering how cheap prices are compared to Sydney and proximity to beaches).

BuyersAgent likes this.
  3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You really need to head to the bidet thread.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  4. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

haha just got it :D

5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Wipe the slate clean

6. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

Which part? & just curious why?

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

8. Tom Simpson

Tom Simpson Well-Known Member

Not sure where.Maybe not even Indo, SE Asia for sure though.

I love the tropic life style and you can live like a king with top notch customer service.

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

It's easy enough to return to the city for a family and friends visit. Just spent a few days there - very busy driving everywhere. 2 major traffic jams in the space of 24 hrs. :rolleyes: The traffic is horrendous even in school holidays.
    The lifestyle I had in Sydney 15 years ago (and before) isn't possible anymore because of the traffic. I know for sure that most people think twice about going out anywhere because of the time constraints.
    I do miss the Sydney light and warmth though.
    Where I am in Wagga, I live across the road from the bush and walk there everyday. In my half hour lunch I go home and take the dogs for a mini walk.

Last edited: 15th Jul, 2017
  10. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Its these typse of things which you just cant get in a city. And as such, you simply cant understand the value of them.
    Yes - you can go for a walk in a park close to the office at lunch, but taking the dogs out for a midday stroll is completly different.
    Plus - if you are married/partnered up, you can even get home for a bit of midday 'nookie'... if youre lucky :p

Cant beat it

Blacky

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

:p
    I wish!

Blacky likes this.
  12. IndiesTrader

IndiesTrader New Member

You should check out Roti Island in East Indonesia. We've been living there minimum 6 months a year since 2012 and never looked back. The President of Indonesia came for a visit yesterday as it's showing up on heaps of peoples radars. Big expat community building up there, fresh air, clean ocean, cheap living.
    Oh, the surfing and fishing is sort of world class as well.

Attached Files:

Phar Lap and Tom Simpson like this.
  13. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

I love living in the CITY of Sydney,sometimes i go away for a few days drive to the Country areas to look at property and cant wait to get back !

i feel unsafe in Country towns and people look at you and some even start conversations etc.
    i was in Wellington NSW a few months ago with a few friends Moshe and Yeoval and they were stared at walking around the Wellington RSL.
    the city you can be yourself no one cares if you wear a pink hat or hold hands with a same sex partner or whatever

I just love the City feel knowing i can get anything 24 hours and police ambulance etc are only 5 minutes away

14. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Im the exact opposite, City makes me feel very unsafe.
    I haven't locked the car or house while living in the bush, ever!
    Never been robbed, always feel safe and your neighbours have got your back. No road rage etc.

I go to the city and I feel people looking at me weirdly. Probably the hayseeds hanging out my ears but it feels very isolated yet surrounded by so much.

Lol at your comment " some even start conversations etc..."

reminds me of Croc Dundee in NY...Gday mate!

Whats wrong with starting a convo ?

I do it in the city as much as possible and most folks do end up relaxing into some friendly banter once they know Im not gunna kill them.

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I actually much prefer the countryside. I live in a very busy city and love the economics of it all but whenever I travel through the country, I feel totally at peace and relaxed. And country folk are generally really down to earth and nice.

Francesco, Phar Lap and RS Gumby like this.
  16. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

I left Sydney over 35 years ago now, as I simply didn't enjoy city living. It was busy enough then (traffic wise, people) so it must be hell today. True friends and of course family will come to visit and guess what, they actually have a great place to stay, away from the "Rat Race". Most don't want to return. I live within a stones throw from the ocean and boat ramp here in Yamba. Climate is terrific pretty much all year round. Best decision I have ever made was to escape the Big Smoke.
    Like other posters I concur that if you never go, you'll never know! Give it a try. Just not Yamba, haha!

Cheers.

Phar Lap, WattleIdo and Toon like this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Remind me to never drop by uninvited..:p

TAJ likes this.
  18. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

I guess they do it because they can't find the similar work in smaller towns. There are many types of work which are just non-existent in smaller towns.

19. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

Good to know. Was your employment transferable to the smaller town, or you didn't need one?

20. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

A mate and I started a carpet cleaning partnership. Initial outlay wasn't over the top and we put in long hours to get it up and running. About 10 years ago now we ventured into mould remediation to couple with our carpet cleaning. It has been a great success for us both.
    The business has allowed me to become an investor across several asset classes and provided me with a fairly good standard of living. All this done in a relatively small seaside town.
    Think outside the square.... You might surprise yourself!