NSW Moving existing property to vacant land - how to make it work.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by hudbry, 17th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I have recently been given an opportunity to move an existing home (free) to vacant land (which I have yet to buy).
    I am in the process of trying to get everything in order to try and make this opportunity a reality, but I would love some advice and suggestions please.
    • The house is in good shape, hardwood structure, tiled roof, on piers. I have had a builder round to have a look at it and he seems happy, and is going to get back to me with an idea of cost to move it to a new location a couple of kms down the road. His initial costs are encouraging.
    • I have not bought land yet as I am not sure how to go about doing it and I am a little confused. I have spoken to real estate agents in the areas and some have spoken to me about covenants in come locations preventing older houses being moved to some developments, others have said that there is a precedence of someone having done something similar, others have said that covenants are as good as what council allow (if council say yes then the covenants are void)........? So I am a little confused on this point.
    • I have a meeting with council in the next couple of days to talk about these points but want to make sure I go to them with the right questions, and with the right information. I want to discuss what land I should be looking at and what I need to do to the property in order to gain approval. I imagine I need to bring a few things with me to make the meeting worthwhile. I have sourced the plans of the existing house, the DA approval for the original build and am in the process of getting contract of sale for a couple of plots of land. Is there anything else I can bring or ask them to help me move this project along with as few hitches as possible?
    Thank you in advance for you help and suggestions.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Many covenants specifically exclude the use of second-hand building materials - you need to check carefully.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Many councils require a hefty bond to ensure any remedial work on the house after it is re-sited is carried out in a given time frame.
    Marg

4. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Really?? Ok, that is the first time I have heard that. Is that like an insurance policy to them to make sure that the work they say that needs to be done to comply is in fact done, and if not then they keep the bond?

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

No idea. But the aim is to ensure that the house is properly completed in a timely manner, not just plonked on a block and left there for a lengthy period.

Just check if there is a bond required and, if so, terms and conditions.
    Marg

6. hudbry

hudbry Well-Known Member

Will certainly add that to my list of questions.
    Thank you.