Moving back in to IP and renovating - silly idea?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by VeronicaR, 18th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. VeronicaR

VeronicaR Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've googled this and feel no more educated. So, I'm calling upon the collective wisdom of this forum. Here are the key points:

1. We have a property in Brisbane which we have been renting out for four years (we lived in it for a year prior this)
    2. There's a possibility (not yet confirmed) that instead of moving to Cairns as per my previous posts, we may be moving back to Brisbane (a bit of a logistical nightmare, but that's beside the point :))
    3. The property is up for a major reno and a BA is in the works - we had planned to do this in September/October
    4. If we were to move back into the property, would this bodgy everything up tax wise?

If we were to move in for 6-12 months, do the renovation and rent it out again would the renovations still be tax deductable? Would it depend on how long we moved in for? What do I have to watch out for?

Or, should we find a rental in Brisbane (sigh) and keep it purely an investment property until the renovations are complete.

I'm super confused as to how this whole thing works. I know it should be obvious but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Renovations will not be tax deductible regardless of whether an IP or PPOR.

But you will be able to claim building depreciation after the renovations if an IP.

So move in if it suits you, it won't make any difference.
    Marg

Terry_w likes this.
  3. VeronicaR

Hmmm, even stuff like restumping and replacing the roof?
    So, if we wanted to depreciate major items, would we able to anyway even if they were done while we were living there? Thank you for your help.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It might be a good idea to move in again but best to do any repairs while it is available to rent although u may be able to claim some after u move in in limited circumstances.

First determine are the renovations repairs or improvements.

MTR likes this.
  5. VeronicaR

Thank you... it is a mix of both repairs and improvements. The significant repairs are the aforementioned restumping and roof replacement.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Complete restumping and re-roofing are NOT repairs, they are capital improvements. The cost can be depreciated via building depreciation. They are not immediately tax deductible.
    Marg

7. VeronicaR

Oh bugger. :)

8. dave80

dave80 Well-Known Member

restumping isnt an immediate repair write off however what about underpinning due to land subsidence?