Entertainment & Music Movies for 2018

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 29th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I really recommend for people to start watching international movies because I feel that the plot is so much better than some of the boring stuff coming out of Hollywood. I agree that I am sick of the superhero genre and hope that they can move on to something else. Wouldn't mind seeing some good life stories of people that have made an impact on mankind and not some make believe characters with superpowers.

Otie, Sackie and inertia like this.
  2. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Netflix has actually started putting (and promoting) quite a few foreign movies of late...

Cheers,
    Inertia

3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I love foreign films. You will often find that the hollywood films copy the plots from these movies years later, especially the asian ones.

4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Notebook ,saw an early release of that film the other night,Plus crazy rich Asians ..There were only 3 men at the notebook in the 90 seat cinema,and some of the best music from the 80's..

5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

If you want a movie from which to stay away it's The Breaker Uppers. It was awful.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We went to a movie in Canberra last night, for the first night of the Latin American film festival. This movie was "Guten Tag Ramon", about a poor Mexican young man totally lost in Germany, and an unlikely friendship. It was an enjoyable, light movie - and well worth the admission price (free). It is in Spanish and German with English subtitles.

Latin American Film Festival in Canberra
    Coombs Theatre, AUU, most nights until 27 August.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

This movie looks kick ass. Can't wait to watch it.

Redwing likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone watch
    ‘Working class man’

Jimmy Barnes doco

Gut wrenching

Only admiration for this guy......

Thanks Jimmy

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Red Sparrow was excellent. Possibly one of the the best movies that I have seen.

willy1111 and Sackie like this.
  10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

11. geoffw

Neither IMDb nor Rotten Tomatoes gave it a good rating. But then, given that it doesn't put Russia in a good light, that could be because Russian hackers are influencing the vote.

Phantom and Terry_w like this.
  12. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Crazy Rich Asians was quite good. Watched it with tween daughters, we all really liked it. Only thing I was disappointed with was the casting of western actors playing the Singaporean roles- I think would have been more authentic had they used some locals for the local characters.

Sackie likes this.
  13. geoffw

We went to see Ladies in Black today. It's set in Sydney in 1959, and shows the lives of several ladies working in a department store.

We really enjoyed it. Not a great deal of depth, but a good feel good movie.

Ladies in Black (2018) - IMDb

14. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I watched Hanna on Netflix last night. Not sure how I missed its cinema release. Wait, it came out in July 2011 - my twins were about 9 months old, so that explains that!

Bit of an interesting one - starring Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett playing American agents, but very Euro-centric. Not-quite Hollywood styling, which is good to see.

I quite enjoyed it - nothing particularly esoteric, but enjoyable action film starring some top Aussies!

Looks like it is being turned into a tv series this year - could do well.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Redwing likes this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I agree with Geoff about Ladies in Black - a totally feel good movie. Mum loved it. We also watched The Dressmaker last week and loved Judy Davis's character. These two movies have similar settings and levels of humour. Liam was suitably adorable.

Camping this weekend was cancelled. There is a drought?? Hubby got to choose. Yesterday we went to see Jeff Bridges with Liam's brother Chris having a Bad Day at the El Royale hotel. Dakota Johnson was playing with ropes and knots again and everyone had a smashing good time - not. When an online review said: "something something Tarantino" I thought - OMG I'm going to hate this. But it was much better than a T film (It was compared to a T film in the review). It has interesting characters and great singing. I barely noticed Mr Helmsworth - his character was the bad dude whereas the others were, as I said, interesting.

geoffw likes this.
  16. geoffw

A Star is Born was good. My wife enjoyed it more than I did - she was a big fan of the Barbra Streisand version. For me, it wasn't that bad, I'm the wrong generation for some of the music I think.

We very much enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody. The music was great. I think Freddie's story was very much sanitised - from what I've read previously, he really wanted to try every experience he possibly could, which didn't really come across.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I thought Star is Born was great, ending was a little lame. Lady GaGa, voice, songs loved.

Have not seen the movie Bohemian Rhapsody, but I did see a great doco on Freddie's life, family, friends, it was brilliant.

Phantom likes this.
  18. geoffw

Was that the doco on SBS?
    {{ meta.ogTitle }}

19. geoffw

My wife and daughter loved Roma from Cuarón. It's very intense and very powerful. It's set in the 1970s in a neighbourhood in Mexico City. It will have a very brief season in the cinemas (apparently so that it will be eligible for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film) before becoming available on Netflix. It's available in Canberra only from 7 to 12 December.

20. geoffw

Now on Netflix.

Redwing likes this.