Move power point or not

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 3rd Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Last week I had kitchen cabinets installed. The cupboards are 680 mm above the counter except in a corner where the microwave brings this down to 500 mm. The microwave is on the north wall and about 800 mm away on the east wall the sink starts, with a window over the sink. Under the microwave on the north wall I had a double power point installed. One of the first things I did after the cabinets were installed was to have a brew, and then saw a possible shortcoming.

The power cable on my electric jug does not clear the edge of the microwave cabinet. I'm concerned that steam and/or heat from a jug, toaster or the like could adversely affect the bottom of the microwave cabinet.

The tiles have not been put in and there's a possibility of moving the DPP to the east wall. It's nuisance but in the overall reno costs is not much and may make the cabinets last longer..

Thoughts on the above would be valued. TIA.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd move it and whilst I was at it, I'd put in a 4 point GPO so you can plug in kettle, toaster and 2 other appliances (electric saucepan, rice cooker, phone charger etc etc)

Last edited: 3rd Mar, 2019
    Angel and wylie like this.
  3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I have 4 double power points around my bench space, use them all ... :)

4. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

In the kitchen area benchtops 4 point GPOs are a godsend , and it still leaves space for equipment that only gets used intermittently. Same goes for the computer and T.V areas where you also have printers and other devices that get plugged in from time to time.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Definitely move it now or you'll forever curse its placement.
    Also go for the 4 point powerpoint as others said.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It may cost a little more but buy one with a USB port too. Everyone plugs their mobile in the kitchen.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It can be a lot cheaper to buy two 2-power point GPOs rather than a single 4-power point GPO. Currently the good HPM brand is around $11/$45.

Not so significant if you’re just adding one or two though. And less still if you use the cheaper brands.

Last edited: 3rd Mar, 2019
  8. Burramys

Thanks. There's another double power point at another part of the counter, under the 680 mm clearance. A USB would be nice but it's an extra cost and complexity. A late thought. Should I get the same sparky or would any sparky with suitable qualifications be okay? A local one would be quicker.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

And a sparky's charge to install 2 DGPOs will outweigh any saving.

10. Burramys

The power point was moved on Friday, and is now much better placed so that heat from sundry devices is less likely to adversely affect the bottom of the microwave cabinet. It cost $180 but this is tiny compared to the overall value of the property, the reno and the cabinets.

Thank you all for your advice.

luckyone, Angel and Gockie like this.
  11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We have virtually no wall space for a PO
    So went with this, pop it up when you need, put it down out of the way when we dont :) 20190310_145839.jpg

luckyone likes this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

That is cool! I was wondering what I was supposed to look at.... Black on black. Finally worked it out. It's a bit like power outlets you find in a boardroom table :)

Stoffo likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.