Move 2nd AZ forward?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by KateSydney, 12th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Should we move forward our 2nd AZ shot

1. Yes it's only 3 weeks short of the 12

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No - wait - 12 wks gives the best protection

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. What kind of fool asks an online forum a question about their medical health?

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

Our second AZ shot is booked for 2nd August. We're in Sydney.

Should we ask to get it moved forward?

Mind you, they might not be amenable to as it's not from a GP but from that big clinic at Homebush Bay - it's one of those respiratory clinics.

Husband is 58 and I am 63

2. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Why?

My answer is to trust the data. Trials were done with shots 12 weeks apart, that’s what you should stick with.

KateSydney likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I googled this myself and efficacy is better if you can wait the full 12 weeks. Less protection if you get the second shot from eight weeks onwards.

This is what Dr Google says... (plenty of other articles to read too)...

Should I have my AstraZeneca booster shot at 8 weeks rather than 12? Here's the evidence so you can decide

We are reasonably safe here but I would possibly ask my GP if I lived in Sydney where the risk is much higher right now.

One article I read did say if you have the second shot earlier, it could be beneficial to have a third jab down the track (within next 12 months?).

Some countries are pushing to bring the second shot back to 8 weeks in order to get more jabs in more arms, and faster.

KateSydney likes this.
  4. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I would do what the vaccination program is running with. If you have the second shot earlier you may not be considered ‘vaccinated’ as you didn’t follow the program. Like how people who were vaccinated overseas are not being considered vaccinated.

Edit: if you have other health conditions that makes you more vulnerable perhaps talk to your GP about it.

KateSydney likes this.
  5. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

A fair question.

My understanding of what has been said by the Chief Health Officer of NSW, the Australian Chief Health Officer and the President of the Australian Medical Association is:

Given the situation in Greater Sydney, if you have had the first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, consider bringing it forward as it will provide better protection to you although it isn't the best protection.

Bailing out the lifeboat when the bilge pump has failed.

KateSydney likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think the advice is to consult with your GP regarding your personal risk profile.

Live: NSW authorities concerned over 'vast majority' of cases concentrated in Fairfield

Dr Chant says people who have had AstraZeneca shot should ring GP to try and push forward appointment
    The NSW CHO says if you have had your first shot of the AstraZeneca vaccine, you should ring your GP and try and push forward your appointment for your second shot.

"If you have had the AstraZeneca vaccine within last four weeks, we are asking that you ring your GP and they may be able to bring forward your booking to that six to eight week period," she said.

"We do want you to be patient to general practice and general practice will try and meet those booking requirements but we know that they will be prioritising the elderly as they work through.

"If you are younger, please be patient with your general practitioner but I would urge everyone to take up every opportunity to get vaccinated at this time."​

KateSydney likes this.
  7. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

What ?

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Yes, people who were vaccinated with a vaccine which is not recognised by that country aren't recognised as being vaccinated at all. So Moderna, Sinovac and Sinopharm aren't recognised at all by Australia.

9. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

So do you need to double vaccinate? I wonder if it's even safe to double vaccinate with two different vaccines?

10. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Not only that, but people who were not vaccinated in Australia were not going to be considered vaccinated for the purposes of the home quarantine trial in South Australia. So really it only works for ‘returning Australians’ who were fully vaccinated here, went overseas and are now returning.

geoffw likes this.
  11. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think the government is taking the conservative approach with this. We're seeing reports internationally of vaccine fraud, such as people in India paying to be vaccinated but only receiving a saline injection. There also isn't any international 'certificate' or other verification recognised by Australia yet. Again there's also been reports of people paying for false vaccination certificates.

If you've been vaccinated overseas that's great, it means you're a lower risk to yourself and others. However until there's a universally recognised and secure way to verify anyone's status, the Australian government is probably doing the right thing in not recognising foreign vaccinations. It's a moot point though, other than the SA trial being fully vaccinated isn't getting anyone special treatment at the moment.

As for the question of getting the second AZ shot early, it's really a question of sacrificing better protection later, to getting some protection now. If you're able to not leave home other than for essentials and thus low risk, probably better to wait. If you're in a role where you have to leave home reguarly, it may be better to bring the second shot forward.

KateSydney, Anne11 and Lizzie like this.