Sports & Fitness Mountain bike riding

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jamie Moore, 23rd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Keep an ear out for the urban downhill in albany.happened to be there 2 years ago when it was on - i was very impressed! They shut down the main street to race down and put on heap of stuff for the weekend. Kids racing, trick demos etc
    Something you could see red bull getting a hold of.
    Great community event!
    There'd be some stuff on you tube

Skuttles and Redwing like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yeah, I've been to Wylde a couple of times - both with and without my son.

I really like it there - although I had one of my biggest offs there while testing an $8K Stumpy during a Specialized test day a couple of years back - a case of overconfidence meets lack of ability over some jumps just past the start of the 6km loop.

Interestingly, I had no such trouble on the $10K+ Camber I had ridden on the previous lap, so I think it's a case of you get what you pay for!!

bob shovel and Phantom like this.
  3. Simon Hampel

There is a kids loop which is a pretty good intro to XC trails, or if they are more adventurous, the 3km loop isn't too hard.

bob shovel likes this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Managed to find a few hours this afternoon to go for a decent bike ride - took my MTB out to the start of the M7 and rode along the bike path there. Initially took a wrong turn and ended up heading along Old Windsor Rd for nearly half an hour before I realised my mistake (there are no traffic lights on the M7 - should have given it away a bit earlier!!) - got swooped by a rather determined magpie for my troubles too.

One back on the M7, I eventually made it to the overpass which headed across to the back of Wylde MTB Park before turning around - good thing I had packed my new bike lights, because it was nearly 5pm by the time I got there and the sun was getting pretty low.

2017-09-10 16.50.23.jpg

Legs were cramping pretty badly on the way back and the wind had picked up too - so I struggled a bit. Was after 7pm by the time I got back to the car - the lights got good usage (not that it would have been a disaster without them - the path is pretty well lit).

2017-09-10 18.16.40.jpg

66.5km all up - my longest ride ever.

66.5 km Mountain Bike Ride on September 10, 2017 by Simon H. on Strava

Phantom, Mooze and Skuttles like this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Speaking of cycling achievements... I did 600m non stop on a unicycle on Sunday on uneven ground (but with support). Seeing heaps of improvement and very soon I think i'll be able to ride completely unsupported. :)
    Hopefully I'll be able to do it the end of this week?

Propagate likes this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

It was just on! 4th year
    Southern MTB
    Sorry about the fb link but that'll do for now

7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Came off this morning :-( Copped a nice graze on my knee. I've just purchased some knee pads online.

Any propertychatters on Strava?

Cheers

Jamie

8. Simon Hampel

If you don't have legs full of scars, you're not doing it right.

Just walking your bike is more dangerous than riding it - those flat pedals are lethal!

Strava Cyclist Profile | Simon H.

Mooze likes this.
  9. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I bought a straight bar road back recently to ride to the gym and back. Great fun as it reminds me of my childhood bike riding adventures and I feel 10 years old again every time I ride it.

In retrospect should have got a hybrid so I can go off road but can always purchase some suitable tires and do the swap.

10. Simon Hampel

Yeah, throw some cyclocross tyres on it and you'll be right!

I was at a Specialized demo day a couple of years back testing the MTBs, and there were guys riding the curly bar cyclocross bikes around the same (XC) MTB track and having a wow of a time.

Colin Rice likes this.
  11. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

12. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

It's amazing what you can ride on a road bike if you have the skills. I hit a few pretty full on downhill MTB runs on my gravel road bike during last years Hells500 Ol Dirty race, passing mountain bikers and passing people tip-toeing their bikes down on foot. Pulled a top 5 Strava segment on it too! Thought my road bike wheels would be square by the bottom ;-)

13. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

I started riding my bike to work about 10 years ago. It was partly a GFC money saving thing. Started on a clapped out bike from the shed. Lost 15kg without modifying my diet (in fact, I found I was eating more to replenish following the exercise), and I wasn’t really what you would class as overweight. Have stuck with it to this day. Best lifestyle thing I have ever done.

Skuttles, Jamie Moore, tobe and 2 others like this.
  14. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Did the Sydney 24hr MTB race over the weekend. Great fun, haven't done one in a few years. My team and I won our division and finished second overall in the teams.

Where I live we have the best MTB trails in Sydney (world class in fact) although to get the most from them, you need to be fit and experienced. It's a good sport but can be pretty tough on the body and equipment.

inertia and 158 like this.
  15. Gockie

Are you near Hornsby?

16. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

No, i'm on the south side.

17. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

I went to the Hornsby Mountain Bike tracks on Sunday, for my first try at muni (mountain unicycling)!

What a failure I was. Couldn't ride most of the track and spent so much time just trying to mount. Deficiencies in basic skills are highlighted away from nice smooth cycle paths. Dave and boys were there, nothing stops those guys. Muni it seems is more than just riding rough ground, it's very clever ways of getting over or around obstacles unicycles just were not made to get over or around.

I understand some parts of these tracks have been rebuild recently, but I can't comment on how good the tracks are, I just know I walked most of it....

Facebook link

Attached Files:

18. Gockie

I did Lake Parramatta with them... I went with a mountain bike whilst there was about 7 munis. Plenty of areas I wasn't game to ride even with 2 wheels.

Requires strong hopping skills. Me... I can generally get over speed bumps on a unicycle ok, but I can still find it a bit freaky.

Re: Hornsby... the intermediate sections are in absolutely no way easy. Beginner... ummm... just ok!

19. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

So right, I did mention that to Liala. Even so, really unhappy with the lack of skill I displayed compared with what is required to do even easy muni, I have now put aside all my long distance riding and will just be practicing low speed, rough ground handling. I've let the basics slip. Idling and slow speed is not strong, but on uneven ground is just not happening. Hopping is easier than idling so I spent 2 hours yesterday getting better at that, but so far only on level ground.

I'm just so impressed with Dave and boys and what they can do. All that "street" style uni riding, whilst not my cup of tea, makes for great uni skills everywhere.

Gockie likes this.
  20. Gockie

I've now picked up a pallet for practising going down drops....

inertia and TwoDogs like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia