Sports & Fitness Mountain bike riding

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Jamie Moore, 23rd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

He just put a KFC drive through at the top

Redwing likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I thought that was some kind of cheap router "KFC drive" in the top slot of a rack :rolleyes:

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Pretty much the same!

Surfing, riding and running and/or kayaking.

I probably love surfing the most - but it's also the one I'm least competent at....but I do find myself getting better each time and there's nothing more exhilarating then feeling the wave lift, picking your line and riding it out.

Cheers

Jamie

tobe and BuyersAgent like this.
  4. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

The trouble with surfing is it's so fickle. The moons need to align to get good waves. Whereas riding, for me anyway, is more fun in a headwind and driving sleet and snow.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  5. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I used to race competitively around Hunter and Mid North Coast. Have to get my bikes fixed up soon and will get back into some riding.

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Me. Although I only train karate during the week at the moment and ride weekends (when I can get off the couch - love winter).

I just bought a new Yeti 4.5c with XT di2 about 2 weeks ago.

inertia likes this.
  7. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I've been a keen MTB rider for about 25 years. Did a bit of racing, weekend warrior type stuff, for a few years. Raced the WA Cape-to-Cape in 2011 and came in the top 20% of a 1000 entrants (not exactly elite but I'll take it for a weekend rider!). Used to race a lot of the Victorian Enduro series in places like Mt Beauty and the You Yangs etc. Just as a fun weekend away with mates.

Packed in the races a few years back in favor of an annual escape with mates instead, the last few years we've gone over to Tasmania. Had 2 failed attempts at racing the Nemesis over (first year was cancelled due to fires, second year I got shingles 2 weeks out from the race!). Haven't raced since, so we head over there and hit the new trails around Derby in the North East, which have to be some of the best trails in the world!

I've not ridden much at all this winter since getting into a bit of running and I've generally got a bit fed up with doing all the local trails to death so the last few years the MTB has been sat idle waiting for it's Tassie trips and most of my riding has been on the gravel bike, seeking out back roads and adventure trails, did a lot of the Audax long distance club mixed terrain rides around Victoria last year, saw some amazing places.

I cut my MTB teeth on an old school, fully rigid steel bike about 25 years ago in the hills of the North Yorkshire Moors (where I'm from), got my first full suspension, a Gary Fisher Sugar 3 in about 2001 then gave the riding away when we moved to Aus in 2007. Picked up a Giant Trance around 2010/2011 and promptly stoved my head in coming off at warp speed, face first into the ground. Ditched the full suspension when 29er's became popular and went onto a second hand carbon 29er Scott Scale pro hard tail, which has been my favorite bike for the last 5 or 6 years. Wicked fun and very capable in the hands of a decent rider. Weird geometry for it's time, although an out and out XC race bike it has similar geometry to the current crop of trail hard tails. XC bikes have got longer and lower. You don't need heaps of suspension for general trails if you've good form and technique, and it's just damn good fun getting smashed around on a hard tail. Trouble is, the hard tails kick your arse if you're having an off day, so at 41 with a rapidly declining back issue I reluctantly caved and went back to a full suspension bike. I'm not into big trail enduro stuff, I like it fast, flowy and technical so I stuck with the short travel cross country format and built up a 2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL, it's a weapon and, most importantly, it's all stealthy matt black ;-)

Phantom and Jamie Moore like this.
  8. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

I've been on the MTB for a few years now. Used to race BMX for years then transitioned to a Giant Reign. Love it! Added the link to a little video we made from the opening weekend out in Bright - Mystic Mountain. Awesome place to ride! Enjoy

9. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Heading back to Bright for Christmas @dan_89 Hero wasn't built last time I went, might have to take the MTB with me!

10. Jamie Moore

Agree 100% that's the best thing about MTB in comparison to surfing. You're not as depdentant on the conditions - which can be quite frustrating with surfing.

I've ordered a Polygon 27.5 D8 online - should be arriving tomorrow. It was either that or a Giant anthem. I've got 14 days to test the polygon before keeping it.

Propagate likes this.
  11. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Yep, some might even say I'm I little obsessed. In fact I just ordered a new bike - a Kona Sutra Ltd. Sure, it's got drop bars and rigid forks, but it takes tyres wider than my first Mtb's, so there's that!

Cycling is probably the one place where I may spend too much money :-/

I'm in newcastle, not far from Glenrock, and I was getting out several times a week. Unfortunately I had an arthroscopy a few weeks back to deal with an old beach cricket injury, so I've been off the bike(s) for a while. Very keen to build back up. On the plus side, my physio tells me I should give up running now. Every cloud has a silver lining!!!

Property Chat Mtb meetup anyone?

Cheers,
    Inertia

Phantom, 158 and Gockie like this.
  12. Jamie Moore

I ended up with a Polygon D8 27.5 dual suspension. I've had it for a week and so far it's been a lot of fun - came off for the first time the other day.....I've been told it's a sign I'm getting better :)

Also got onto the Strava app - what an amazing app that is! Although probably not good for overly competitive types :-( I seem to be focusing more on personal bests rather than just enjoying each ride.

Getting up early for a 50km trail ride tomorrow morn :)

Cheers

Jamie

13. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

The world championships is happening here at the moment making me even more keen to give it a go. Just need to get a half decent bike.

Mooze, Jamie Moore, 158 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Skuttles

Skuttles Well-Known Member

Am a keen weekend warrior over here in Perth, on an entry level Giant dually. Any good trails are 40+ mins away from me, so time away from family is the biggest challenge for me.
    Mainly ride Kalamunda but also love riding in the south west whenever possible (Dwellingup, Ferguson Valley, Pemberton, Margaret River)
    Also did 5 days touring on the Munda Biddi trail some years ago, would definitely recommend it to others. I really should get on and do some more of that.

tobe and 158 like this.
  15. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie
    Ive been mountain biking around Newcastle, for a while now.
    Check out this Aussie mtb forum
    ROTORBURN Forums

Jamie Moore likes this.
  16. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Went for a morning ride at Cecil Park's Wylde Trail in Sydney's west. Never been there before but was pleasantly surprised. Nice clean place. Different difficulty trails with the longest/advance trail being 12km. Also has a decent pump track and a kids trail. There is also a hosing down area. Overall a great place. Highly recommended if you are in Sydney. IMG-b33ab2e1d4192bc9aa5cd00b8671e607-V.jpg IMG-352b211d9fd53e75314ca841cdefd7de-V.jpg

17. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

One of my good friend's (and team mate I used to drag around) represented Singapore in the women's xc yesterday. So awesome!

Another app for those after trails is trailforks

Jamie Moore and 158 like this.
  18. Jamie Moore

Yessir! I downloaded that yesterday. Would have come in handy when I got lost in the hills the other day without reception

Mooze likes this.
  19. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

20. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Great to hear! I've been thinking of heading out with the kids

Phantom likes this.