VIC Mount vs Glen Waverley

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Vincent3, 26th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Vincent3

Vincent3 Member

With the way Glen Waverley market has gone up. Is Mount Waverley property better value now? They don't have a big shopping centre like the Glen but property is cheaper.

Mount Waverley secondary college is worse than glen waverley but again it is just a cheaper entry point?

Anyone knows the areas and can comment?

2. SuperOlaf

SuperOlaf Well-Known Member

It is hard to say whether MW is better value, depends on what you are looking for. As you have identified, the key difference is the GWSC - which means the price gap is likely to remain. Also both the suburbs are large and prices of similar property can vary significantly within the suburb depending on the location (inside/ outside secondary and primary school zones, how close you are to retail/ activity hubs, train stations etc.). IMHO, some parts of MW would be more desirable (e.g. walking distance to MW and Jordanville stations) than some parts of GW (e.g. close to M1).

3. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Re the schooling.

Results are roughly the same. With MW having the higher concentration of chinese coming through vs GW with predominantly 80%-90% Indian representation at GW primary school at present.

Most chinese around GW actually prefer to attend Mountview primary for some reason likely due to the better quality of homes in that pocket bordering Wheelers Hill. Although many of the Chinese around that area would elect for private school at the nearby Wesley or caufield grammar.

MW is a big area so different pockets will have varying results but if you are strictly talking about the area near the MW village then it would probably top GW in terms of prestige unless you prefer to be walking distance to a large shopping centre.

craigc likes this.
  4. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

All about whether you are in GWSC zone (it has always been the case). Just the top notch Glen Waverly stuff is a more expensive than the Mount Waverley stuff

Liveable houses on decent blocks have sold in Glen Waverley under 1.2M and I have listed 3 examples below
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-glen+waverley-135480254
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-glen+waverley-135467598
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-glen+waverley-135453794

In regards to private school don't bother living there. A lot more places have better and more private schools

MikeyBallarat and SuperOlaf like this.
  5. Hamlet5

Hamlet5 Active Member

Where are these places with better and more private schools? Isn't Wesley and Caulfield Grammar both top private schools?

6. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

Scotch, Geelong Grammar, MLC, Hailebury, Melbourne Grammar, St Caths, Trinity, Xavier (none of my kids go to any of these schools)

It's also to do with breadth of private schools if you live within 5-15 k.m. East or South East as different schools offer different things (PLC offers a great IB program, Fintona has small class sizes).

An example would be Kew, Off the top of my head Strahcona, Carey, Trinity, MLC, Ruyton are all within about 1km circle. I know not comparing Kew with MW/GW but if you live in Box Hill South at least it is reachable to these schools (and have PLC and Kingswood in walkable proximity)

SuperOlaf likes this.
  7. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

If schooling wasn’t the priority, something close to MW Village on some of the wide tree lined streets.
    Flat & walking distance to the village - areas around Sherwood Rd (especially around the park), Winbourne Rd etc would be my target area.
    A lot of original properties are being split into T/Hs though so need to determine what your purchase goal is.
    Good luck

8. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

For primary school, Mount Waverley Primary School & Mount Waverley North Primary School perform as well as Glen Waverley Primary School

9. Bookworm99

Bookworm99 Member

Good and bad for each suburb.
    1. School- Gwsc consistently performed better than Mwsc. Brentwood and Highvale are on par with Mwsc.
    2. Train- Gw train station will in the future be part of suburban loop, whereas Mw train station is likely to remain a suburban station.
    3. Shopping- Gw-The Glen had just had $500m development, Kingsway is very happening at night with eateries,cinema etc. Mw village will be developed by Monash council in the next few years. So Mw properties around the village may get repriced?
    4. Ethnicity- Gw is appealing to certain ethnicity group, so all recent sales appear to be dominated by those buyers. Mw is appealing to both Oz and other ethnicities so maybe easier to sell in the future?
    5. Distance from CBD - Not by much but Mw is obviously closer.
    6. Specific house -Gw due to domination by certain group, one has to be extremely careful when purchasing. For example avoid no.4, avoid slope down etc. Mw - those criteria are less important when choosing your house.

So do your own homework before you buy.
    I will stick to around Sherwood, Williams, Winbourne area in Mw.
    I will stick to Kennedy, Clifford, , Fairhills area or Lisbon, Barbara, Fernhill area in Gw

craigc likes this.
  10. Upgrader_521

Upgrader_521 Well-Known Member

Is MW north primary one of the better schools? Didn’t knew and bought in its catchment last month thinking only about MWSC catchment. How is general area in northern part of MW? I know it’s not walking distance to MW village but I drove their from property last week and it was just a 5 minute drive.

11. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

Yes, MW north primary is at least above average according to Better Education.

Last edited: 4th Apr, 2021
  12. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

FWIW, as an ex-chalkie I offer the opinion that people with young children should not be overly concerned about the current reputation of schools as this can quickly change (a lot or a little and sometimes most dramatically) if certain things occur - a new principal, a turnover of experienced, competent staff, cutting of school budget, a change in the demographics of the area and other things outside the control of the community.

I've taught in schools where this kind of thing happened- school had a good reputation which then went to hell once a new principal came in then staff became unhappy so those who could leave did just that. I had several friends who taught at a particular school in GW and when the new principal came in, they couldn't get out of there fast enough - mass exodus of some very fine teachers which then caused angst in the parent community.
    That was a long time ago and no doubt those schools have continued to change and gone through a few reincarnations so are probably highly regarded once again.
    Conversely, I've worked in schools with less than ideal leadership turn around pretty quickly once a new principal came in and changed the culture.

Last edited: 5th Apr, 2021
    jaybean likes this.
  13. Scott2233

Scott2233 Active Member

1KM circle around GW shopping center is more desirable

other than that area , MW is better than GW in general

14. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

This is a great perspective. I mean this is how it works in private enterprise - new leadership...massively shakes things up for the better or for the worse...why wouldn't it be the same in the public sector too. Great post.

15. jdv77

jdv77 Member

Hi Ben - how do you track this?

16. Nish

Nish New Member

Try bettereducation.com.au

17. tvadera

tvadera Well-Known Member

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-unit-vic-glen+waverley-136064930

Sold yesterday for 1.303M, a unit in the GWSC zone. Glen W is still hot, with 6 bidders battling cold and wet weather.

All suburbs have underlying fundamentals working for it, I believe for Glen W the key items are
    • Train stations (Glen W and Syndal)
    • Glen shopping complex
    • Kingsway eateries
    • Good reserves (Jells Park, Central Reserve)
    • Aquatic center
    • Top-performing primary and secondary schools
    • Private school options (Wesley, Caulfield Grammar, Huntingtower)
    • Proximity to CBD (M1 or Burwood Hwy)
    • 650+ average block size
    • 8/10 people consider it to be a prestigious suburb (I do not agree /disagree with this as people from a certain community feel this way)
    • Universities proximity (Monash and Deakin)
    • GW part of the suburban rail loop
    • Houses median 1.5M (or close) and above Mel median

What are your thoughts on the GW market (good or bad)?

18. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

It's either the non GWSC zone homes and surrounding suburbs that are underpriced or GWSC zone is over priced

I think GWSC part is over priced.

1. At the end of the day a new home in a good block size will be over 3 mil. Anyone who has over 3 mil to spend on PPOR would unlikely go public.

2. Then you talk about private school and the ones named cannot compare to the ones and choice within 10km East or South east of CBD (Stonnington and Boorondara where the school belt is)

3. t's not very close to city (close to 20km away) Bundoora is closer distance wise to CBD

19. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Seeking recommendations between Mount Waverley PS and Mount Waverley North PS which one is a better school and why if anyone knows or has a first hand experience?