SA MOUNT BARKER? Good place to buy?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by BethanyHiska, 27th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BethanyHiska

BethanyHiska Member

Hey guys! So I'm thinking about investing in a 4 bedroom new house and land package in Mount Barker. We will eventually want to move in to it. Anyone know if this will be a good investment or if the rentability is ok? We would rent it out for a couple of years first.

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

If u really want to live there no problem.

But I do wonder if a great option in the southern burbs or a Hills property closer to town might be better long term.

BethanyHiska likes this.
  3. BethanyHiska

BethanyHiska Member

It's only 35mins from the city - pretty good! We're going to drive there this weekend and see if it really is that far :)

4. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Isn't everything in Adelaide 20 minutes away?

Nando Lee, NickWCBA and coasta like this.
  5. DeeMac

DeeMac New Member

Hi! Lived in Mount barker for 20years. Awesome place to live! I would never move back to the city.

Lots of land being released. So many new estates. Year after year. For a house where you want to live YES. For an investment maybe not. If you want to buy for an house to live in and have a chance at capital growth go for a character cottage near the town centre or Waterford, Martindale or Dalmaney estates. The blocks are huge (3000 sqm plus) but are scarce. If you want a big big block its pretty much here or Unley Park. Unley Park is 3 million plus, mount barker 700k plus. Cheers

6. NickWCBA

NickWCBA Well-Known Member

I’m sure you won’t have any issues with renting it but capital growth is likely to be limited. My advice would be this… firstly go back to the responses provided by multiple people when you initially posted re investing in Adelaide. Take note of that advice!
    Then seperate your approach to investing and where you want to live. They’re in many cases two different things.
    If mount barker is your forever suburb… buy! Get what you want and ignore anything else. It’ll all end up peachy. Happy days!
    If it’s a short term play in terms of wanting a place to live… consider renting.
    If the purpose is for investing and investing only… refer back to the responses provided to your original post because that’s where you’ll get the most capital growth.

Mount Barker, for me personally, and some might differ… but not an investment grade suburb.

Best of luck in your journey!

enoxaparin and Baker like this.
  7. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

NickWCBA likes this.
  8. enoxaparin

enoxaparin Active Member

I would agree with @NickWCBA

I think Mt Barker would at best meet the median suburb performance for SA suburbs, especially in the short-medium term.

There's too much availability there and I don't foresee much growth.

It is a nice area though, and until it all gets filled out, you may see some significant capital growth then, but that could be 15-20 years away.

NickWCBA likes this.