Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Mouldy wall and ceilings

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Bran, 24th Feb, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

My new IP has some mould on the ceiling and walls of one of the bedrooms.

Im moderately sure that its a lack of tenant ventilation issue, but may well be from the roof. I don't want to look too hard as I have a plan to demolish the house, but want to freshen the walls with a repaint and get a tenant in until it's ready to go.

The walls are the panelled presumably asbestos type sheeting.

Any idea of the best way to clean then paint? Is the type of paint then important?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Exclusive Real Estate Buyers Agent Business Member

A bleach solution to get rid of the black stains. A 50-50 white vinegar solution to kill the mould spores. Paint over with a paint containing an antimould additive. This assumes it is a ventilation issue not a water problem (which should be addressed first).

DiligentPM, S.T, Bran and 1 other person like this.
  3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

If your local climb up in the ceiling above the room, see if the insulation or ceiling is wet/water damaged, also check the eaves outside the room for mould, rain could be running down the cavity.

If that's all good perhaps as you've suggested the tenant always keep the room closed up, perhaps dampness from a hydro setup...

If it looks like an ongoing issue you could consider adding a cheap ceiling vent. As I suggest to all others with similar issues, whirlybird and eave vents help allot.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hey Bran. Is this a brand new IP? You could call Adam and get his opinion on how he paints and treats mould. I know he uses bleach, where I've always thought bleach just "bleaches" the mould and you need something like Tea Tree Oil. I know we had a mould issue in a ceiling in a house my family have owned for 30 years, and this was a "one off". I've no idea what caused the mould but Adam cleaned it with his bleach mix, and then painted through with an additive in the ceiling paint. We've had no issues since.

Also, a vent in the bathroom (I know you said bedroom) and a whirly bird (as already mentioned) and we always get our bathroom fan and light switched together so the tenants always turn it on (at night anyway). We also ensure every bathroom has a security grill so windows can be left open all day, all year.

EN710 likes this.
  5. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member Premium Member

Bran is this in Cairns? I had a newly renovated ceiling at Yorkeys get mould on it, it had been because of the humidity following a cyclone. I went to Bunnings and asked for help. The woman there told me to use Exit Mould each day, spray it on, let it dry, brush off the dry mould, then keep doing it until the mould had gone, I think it took 3 days. Then paint it, I have not had any mould since.

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Hi Wylie
    I've asked for presettlement access for painting, so will be hitting Adam up to do this. That's exactly what I wanted to hear (him dealing with it!)

@Chrispy not in Cairns... in Brisbane. I might go unconditional tomorrow if they approve access so will finally be able to share (although it wouldn't take Sherlock to sift through my posts and pin down where I've bought)

7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

The roof space is not conducive to a 6'3 106kg human inspection (nor could Inspec get there today). Old asbestos tiles. Just need to hang on til I figure out how to build a temple in its place.

8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

just use a teaspoon of tea tree oil in 100mls of water and wipe or spray on the mould to kill it

Bran likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is what I use as per Shannon Lush. It is supposed to actually kill the spores rather than bleach them.

Property Hippies and Bran like this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie I'm an ISTP-A female, so I might be a bit quirky! Premium Member

Thanks for the tip. :)