Mould issue - Tenant or PM to blame?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Martinez22, 13th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for providing definition, i think most ppl got what I meant haha

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Seems over the top to me

Does your roof have sarking or is colourbond? If not, wind probably blows through there like crazy, thus rendering the whirlybird and ducting kite for exhaust fan redundant. (I was actually about to do something similar until i realised how much air flow i get through the roof.

I just sprayed mould killer and cleaned off the excess with water. Actually looks like newish paint.
    That said, I am repainting the house though because there are parts where the paint is peeling - it was last repainted in 2008, so its due for one anyway. If I had painted the house only 3 years ago, i would have left it as is.

Replace exhaust fan - look at the size, you can probably replace it yourself if you use the same size. Try bunnings or your local electrical wholesaler, they both sell fans.

Also wire the fan to the light switch so it goes on automatically. @mrdobalina put a sensor on his to make sure it turned on whenever it detected motion which i think is a good idea too.

So out of all those, I would be doing a gutter clean and flushing downpipes. Everything else I would be doing myself (assuming its all coming out of my own pocket).

3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I don't believe blaming anyone will get you anywhere at this point.

Why does it need re-screw etc? Any photos of extend of damage? I don't believe cleaning mould and painting the ceiling should cost $3K. That's my budget to paint a whole house. Why did they suggest the fix above?

4. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Yeh I guess, but if your paying for a PM you would hope that they would have seen the signs.
    But anyway, mould doesn't even look that bad in the photos, the assessor that went out said it's pretty severe.

Attached Files:

5. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

that's some pretty sever mould on the ceiling in the first pic. You would need to clean it out then have to repaint but you also have to address the root cause - either a rangehood or toilet fan is extracting air right into the ceiling instead of duct that flows the air outside.

SarahD and Joynz like this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. A bathroom with a fan should not get that mouldy. It could be that the tenants are not using the fan, or they are not opening a window enough for the fan to work. I know this because my bathroom is properly ventilated but mould will grow if I am slack with using the exhaust fan. It's inexcusable really. :oops:

If this is related to something the tenant is doing or not doing, then spending $5k to rectify the problem will be a waste of money when the problem reoccurs.

I understanding assigning "blame" at this point won't make the mould go away but it could stop it coming back.

Tribunals can find tenants liable for mould if it occurred due to the tenants actions or inaction.

Maybe @Martinez22 needs to give the PM this fact sheet to give to the tenants...

Firstly, you have a duty to mitigate the landlord’s loss – many landlords on hearing that their premise has a mould issue will try to blame the tenant. Many a tenant has been chastised for failure to turn on exhaust fans while showering or to open windows to reduce condensation. Mitigating the landlord’s loss basically means that you need to prevent the mould as much as possible.

The key here is commonsense. You need to keep the premises reasonably clean and notify the landlord in writing as soon as you notice mould in the premises. If your goods are being affected by mould, get them cleaned quickly and store them where they will not be exposed further.

Prevent mould as much as possible by using exhaust fans or opening windows to prevent condensation as much as possible.

http://www.tenantsrights.org.au/Publications_Archive/MOULD - Everything you didnt want to know.pdf

Martinez22, EN710 and Xenia like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That's possible too. Although it is interesting that mould has not been an issue before but is now. The fan looks dodgy too. It might not be working properly.

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

That mould doesn't look that bad to me.
    Bit of exit mould should fix it right up (that other room will require a lot of effort though) :)

9. Magoo

Magoo Well-Known Member

Winter with heater on + hot showers with no ventilation = mould.

I had an older English couple as tenants & they had everything locked up 24/7.

They never used the A/C because they were tight

They asked me to put a cat/dog entry door in the back door....I said no...

Didn't give them a reason because I had to scrub mould off the ceiling half way through their tenancy when they complained about mould & I thought if I supply a cat door the house will never get any ventilation.

I have new younger tenants now with kids & they love bbq's on the back deck, hence no more mould with good ventilation. Your tenants will not change their habits regardless what you spend.

An O/O would have picked up a trace of mould in an instant.......don't renew the lease...

Handyandy and SeafordSunshine like this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

:oops: If the fan is not working properly, it's possible. It is an old property. My IP in NSW had worse ceiling than that - the fan is old and decrepit. I got a handyman to clean the mould, repaint the ceiling and bathroom with anti mould for $400.

Joynz likes this.
  11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find old pic of ceiling but I think it was on the other phone.
    This is the progress photos that the handyman sent me where mould has been cleaned up considerably.

I'm not saying that the agent/ tenant is to/ not to blame. I think you should review the proposed fix and the $$$.

upload_2016-9-14_15-32-33.png

upload_2016-9-14_15-33-42.png

After
    upload_2016-9-14_15-34-6.png

Perthguy likes this.
  12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I had a new AC installed and when the pipes were pulled through the walls, I had those aluminium studs which it then ripped a piece of the drain pipe letting water drip into the floorboards. What happened next was I developed some sneezing allergies not knowing what. after 4 months I realize the floors were bulging and there was water coming down from the walls. I had it fixed up and then the installer came back to sort it out. Unfortunately - that's life.

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How long ago did you do the removal and did it come back?

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced about the whirlybird, given the fan is being ducted externally (and whirlybirds look like they are extracting a lot of air, but they don't really have the capacity for significant air changes - lots of info about this on sustainability websites).

You should definitely always duct any source of moist heat to the outside of the building.

With a severe mould problem, it pays to do things properly.

Unqualified people should not be wiring in fans or timer switches. If you cause a fire, you can void your insurance, as well as the small issue of potential death...

If the person who is coming to remedy the mould is an expert ( and they should be) I would have a chat about the reason for the whirlybird etc

Perthguy likes this.
  15. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Agree with all point above- I've also added a clause to my tennancy agreements with respect to tenants being responsible for removing small amts of mould

16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

This is a great idea, but can be "annoying" having the noise of the fan all the time.

You can have a sensor wired in these days, as soon as there is enough moisture it starts the fan automatically, no need for a switch, and no forgetting/can't be bothered to get back out of the shower.

We have people complaining about the condensation on the bedroom windows of a morning at the moment, the place is well sealed and they never open a window/door.....
    It isn't rocket science !

17. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

Steps:
    (1) Go to bunnings to buy an exhaust fan $19.98 Arlec 250mm White Exhaust Fan
    (2) Cut a hole in the ceiling with a drywall jab saw
    (3) Put the fan in place
    (4) Hire a sparkie to install a power point with a switch on the ceiling and connect it to the bathroom light switch.

This was how I did a couple of years ago.

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What is small? A few specks? 1m²? ‹10 microns? Is it a defined term in the lease?

Note the declaration in the NSW tenancy agreement

19. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

I dont understand why you would rent out a property without having the bathroom fan connected to the lights , you should not have to open (and then close) windows every time someone has a shower.
    If you have mould issues with a fan connected to the lights , then sure start pointing a finger at the tenants, are they using the lights or is the fan broken.

Last edited: 23rd Jun, 2018
  20. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yep....and long arms....none of this prentending you cant reach !