Mould and Smell - Assistance required

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Never giveup, 17th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

2. Never giveup

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Still locked

4. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Locked for me too

5. Never giveup

@Simon Hampel - could you please advise mate re locked gallery?

I didn't lock and some members can see the pics and some can't. Any assistance is highly appreciated.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've changed the permissions on your photo album so that everyone can view the photos. They should show up in the thread now.

Never giveup likes this.
  7. Never giveup

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I can see the photos here. It appears to me that there is water flowing underneath the house. I would be checking for a leaking tap or pipe somewhere. Given we are in drought, it would not likely be a natural watercourse atm, but there may be water coming in from uphill if the neighbour has been over watering their garden or has a leak of their own.

You may have put in drainage to divert the flow from up the hill and to take any overflow outside during the severe wet weather. See how there is what appears to be dampness in a line near the drain.

Never giveup likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Looks like you will need some sub-floor ventilation

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

My parents house had the issue for years every time it rained. They had to build a system with drainage to a tank and a pump that would flush it to waste. That moisture is asking for termites and health issues and rapid deterioration in the structure.

11. Never giveup

I have arranged a plumber to inspect with the mould remidiation guy....let's see what the finding are-

@Paul@PFI - do you know the cost of drainage system?

TAJ likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

No idea and it is site specific. A plumber should assist. They will advise on the source of your water and solutions. The mould is a secondary issue to clean up AFTER damp is resolved. It should dry but that may be insufficient. The soil may need to be remediated and all existing mould removed.

A engineering science firm with a hydrologist may be more suitable to advise but will cost more but likely to actually consider more than the individual problem of damp. Pay more = full solution ?

May assist to have a termite inspection too. And identify any damage due to damp. Liquids can destroy solid structures when it wicks.

qak and Never giveup like this.
  13. Never giveup

Update- An experienced Plumber has inspected the property and he has confirmed there is no leakage or any other water issue at all. According to him no point putting any drain in now without knowing the cause, perhaps eait for another rain and see if that water gets in or once its dry then keep an eye on from where this water came if not from rain (i agree).

Fans and humdifiers are still running underneath perhaps for another couple.of days as moisture level has dropped to 65 from 85.

Mould remidiation company has also did the fogging treatment (with chemicals) inside and recpmmended to paint internally.

We be going tomorrow to see if those window blinds and curtains can be washed or worth putting new ones.

14. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Which photo is this drain in?

15. Never giveup

No drain pics here- just the mould and some water (in photo 6)

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Maybe the dark sections of dirt in the foreground are shadows rather than dampness, which is misleading. I interpreted the dark circle to the right of the raised brick to be the cover over a drain hole. @Never giveup , make sure you ascertain what the dark things are in the dirt. There are also dark sections in the (6) downstairs photo at the corner of the basement brickwork.

Last edited: 26th Dec, 2019
    Never giveup likes this.