Cars & Motorbikes Motorcycle thread!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by proper_noobie, 3rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

How many of you are into the two wheel fun?

My ride is a weekender, an Agusta F4 312R. It's impractical, uncomfortable, Italian (aka unreliable), drinks premium unleaded as if it were water, but a hell of a lot of fun in the mountains.

When that right wrist goes down, there's the giddy feeling, the pleasant chills, feeling of life, freedom and mechanical violence, blended into acceleration, wind and physics.

What do you guys and gals ride?

ross100 likes this.
  2. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

VFR 800 Vtec edition. Black.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I prefer the dirty variety WR450, I have trust issues... I don't trust any other road users! Trees don't move, but the roos can be tricky!

would like to get a ktm 300 2 banga next though. The 450 feels a bit bulky for me in the tight stuff and the 250s lack the guts that I'm used to

4. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Old Ducati 600SS, I feel your pain but without the acceleration.

5. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

I've had a klx250sf for about 16 months. Put on about 8000km's in a year.
    Time to upgrade soon, I want something good for long distance.

6. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

07 Kawasaki Z750. Before that was a Ducati 696 that I parted ways with to contribute to a deposit :)

7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I am with Bob, roads are for cars and all the other idiots on them, who can wipe you out in a split second. Bikies are for going where cars don't go. I have a YZ 250.

8. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Black 2008 KTM Superduke, just clocked over 30000km since new. May up grade to the 1290 in the next year. Still enjoy setting off car alarms in the work carpark.

Baker likes this.
  9. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Here's mine from when I went around Australia back in 2011, a Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z:

[​IMG]

10. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

BMW S1000RR, KTM350EXC
    I go through a few bikes every year.

11. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I have been few a few bikes over the years. I started with a Honda xr250 road registered then got a Yamaha r6 once off my p's, I got hit by a truck on the r6 (trucks fault) run up the back of me. I used my insurance payout from the written off r6 an put more money towards it and bought a Yamaha r1, this is what I lost my licence for 3 years on. Sold the r1 whilst on suspension licence. Now that I have my licence back I have bought a Harley Davidson which is like riding a lounge chair and is nowhere near as quick which is a good thing because I have a wife and kid now. The things we do while young and dumb I suppose.

12. Sonamic

Hey Brian. I took was taken out by a car on my old ZZR. Car ran a Giveway sign. Did you find this developed your spidey senses on the next bike? As in you find yourself anticipating all the drivers options in a split second. I still enjoy going fast from time to time. But had to sell the dirt bikes to make room in the garage. Getting rid of the road bike would be like selling off part of my soul!

13. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

I'm a dirtbike addict. It would be my one lifelong passion. I've got a Yami TTR 250 for a farm bike. A Yami WR 450 as a dirtbike, and a KTM 990 R as an adventure bike. My 3 girls have dirtbikes too. I will soon be trading the WR 450 in on a KTM 450 when the misses gives the green light. :)

Just 3 weeks ago I completed an across Australia ride from Perth to Byron Bay on my 990, going dirt all the way on a ride called the advX. We went up the WA coast, to the overlander roadhouse, across the Gunbarrel and then abandoned Gunbarrel, Ayres rock, Alice, and watch the Finke desert race. Across the Simpson to Birdsville, Inaminca, and dirt to Byron. Bloody great thing to have achieved and had a perfect trouble free run. Went with two other neighbour mates.

Some photos of my across Australia by dirt ride,

[​IMG]
    My 990 at Ayres Rock.

[​IMG]
    The 990 getting some new rubber at the Finke desert race.

[​IMG]
    One of my mates on top of Big Red after the Simpson crossing.

[​IMG]
    Me on Big Red after the Simson crossing.

I needed 50 litres of fuel to do the 500 ks of the Simpson desert. Fuel economy is not real good as it's soft sand most of the way and is so rough that I was nearly always in second gear and standing up. First gear is too slow though, as a certain amount of speed is needed.

One of the toughest and best things I've ever done, and something that had to be done soon, as I'm 48 years old it was now or never.

See ya's.

Baker, Coxy89, bob shovel and 3 others like this.
  14. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Yes my eyes are constantly scanning other drivers on the road and looking in the mirrors, not so much the mirrors for the cops anymore lol but the drivers who are distracted by their phones or radio and could run up the back of you.

15. Sonamic

And pre emptying a drivers decision before they even make it themselves!

16. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

I have recently sold my GSXR750 K9, let's say I am still recovering from it

17. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Nice going @T.C. Looks like you had one heck of an adventure. Funny, but that fuel consumption doesn't seem too bad to me. I get around 8l/100km around town on the Superduke

18. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

What an amazing thing to do, TC.
    I started on dirt bikes, but living in the Inner West of Sydney, there wasn't a lot of scope for dirt bike riding. The police knew the spots we favoured.
    I graduated to road bikes, but always had a car at the same time, so I tried to avoid riding in the rain and on Friday and Saturday nights.
    I rode for ten years and felt I had tempted fate for long enough so I decided to sell my last bike. As a final trip, I rode down to see my cousins in Melbourne. The next day, I thought I might as well go to Adelaide. Then I thought it was a bit silly to not check out Perth, so I rode over via Esperance and Albany.
    I had applied for a course back in Sydney and found out in a phone call I had got in and had to head back. So I said to my wife, 'I think I'll come back the top way.' So I headed north.
    So my 'lap' of the country was totally unplanned. I did it in 19 days - including two days in Perth waiting for a tyre because I arrived on a Saturday arvo and it was a holiday Monday.
    I sold the bike a fortnight after I got back to Sydney and haven't been on one since. I've been tempted, though.
    It could be the only thing I have ever done that gives me some 'cred' with my kids.

Scott

bob shovel, Coxy89 and drg86 like this.
  19. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

Some awesome stories in here. Would love to do a long distance trip on a bike. My partner's family have owned a bike shop for years and all ride. I've got an SV650 at the moment that I just commute on but have been eyeing off 675Rs and the new 899 Panigale. I don't have any time for it at the moment though so will be content just looking for now.

20. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

One of the blokes I did the ride with just downloaded a heap of video and photos to youtube. It's turned out really well! I just want to go and do it all again after looking at this!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See ya's.

S.T, Depreciator and bob shovel like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia