Sports & Fitness MotoGP

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Davothegreat, 16th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Agreed... if Yamaha don't lock in Zarco on some sort of long term factory supported deal then they're fools.

paulF and alexm like this.
  2. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

This weekend should be an awesome race!

3. Davothegreat

Terrible news about Nicky Hayden, hopefully he can recover.

paulF likes this.
  4. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I know, cannot believe it. Nicky has always been a fantastic rider. Really hope he pulls through.

5. Davothegreat

Reports out today saying Nicky Hayden has succumbed to his injuries. RIP Kentucky Kid. :-(

alexm and paulF like this.
  6. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

RIP Nicky. Very sad.

7. oddshapes

oddshapes Well-Known Member

Thread revival !!!

Hoping there may still be some MotoGP fans on the forum. 3 weeks and counting and the season starts off in Qatar. Final testing in Qatar starts next week, I'm hoping Lorenzo is fit to participate so he can continue to get to grips with the Honda.

Is it another year for Marquez? Whats your predication?

On a side note, WSBK at Phillip Island next week, anyone going?

Davothegreat likes this.
  8. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

@oddshapes , my wife and I are Motogp and WSBK fanatics! Motocycle racing is the best sport.

I'll be at WSBK as we provide support to a friend who is racing in one of the support classes. It's a great experience being in the pits. Also helps having contacts to get into some of the other locked areas...

Marquez again (hopefully) but I think Lorenzo will give him a run. Hoping that Rossi finishes outside of the top ten for every race.

Davothegreat likes this.
  9. oddshapes

@alexm Agree whole heatedly, nothing beats bike racing !!

You're a lucky man mate having your wife a fan as well. Good for you. My wife tolerates it but knows that when MotoGP practice or races are on, I'm in front of the TV. In fact, my 3rd date with my wife I took her to Phillip Island GP ... hahaha.

Not a Rossi fan I take it? I'm actually hoping Dovi will get it this year, he's had a couple of good years but Marquez is just phenomenal. With MM coming back from major shoulder surgery, it may be a chance for Dovi, or others, to get a hop of MM early in the season.

What are your though on Zarco? I really like him as a rider, I hope the bike improves a lot for him so he can be in the top 10 consistently.

Enjoy WSBK next week, sadly I cant make it this year which has annoyed me no end. It must be awsome walking around the pits with all the teams there.

Davothegreat likes this.
  10. Davothegreat

It'll be interesting to see how Lorenzo adapts to the Honda and how much HRC backs him with development. Given that Marquez has won 5 of the last 6 seasons, HRC would be foolish to start changing things just to suit Lorenzo. Lorenzo's season will be a repeat of 2017. HRC should have put Zarco on that bike, not Lorenzo. He's more adept at riding other people's bikes.

Dovi's consistency has improved in recent years where he's a podium threat at most races but when Marquez is able to toy with everyone for half a race and then pull out 5+ seconds in the last 10 laps, it's his to lose. Marquez to win unless he gets injured.

11. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

@oddshapes , that's awesome taking your wife on your third date to Phillip Island! My wife is fanatical for Motogp. Watches all the practices, qualifying, interviews etc.

Zarco will be the one to watch this year. KTM are pouring resources to make their bike a race winner. Their track record in MX, SX, and desert racing says enough. Yamaha made a huge mistake releasing him.

@Davothegreat , I think you've pretty much summed up the season. Dovi will be right up there, plus I think Lorenzo will too, but it's Marquez's.

oddshapes likes this.
  12. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Motorcycle racing is my favourite sports.....

I'm hoping Dovi has a great year. It will be interesting to see how Lorenzo handles the Honda this year & if it clicks, he could be a real threat to MM again.

It should be a great season!

alexm and oddshapes like this.
  13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Not going to Philip Island for the SBK but having a BBQ with riding mates and watching on TV.

Rossi fan here so hope he still manages to get in the top 3 but doubt he'll have many wins.

I reckon Marc will take it this year and hope that Lorenzo and the other top riders do well so that we can get to watch some good racing!

alexm and oddshapes like this.
  14. oddshapes

Agree, until proven otherwise, I think this is true basically every year.

The quality of racing over the past few years has been exceptional, so much talent on the grid right now with multiple bikes on there day able to hit the podium.

I'll be keeping a close eye on Miller and Petrucci. Same bike this year, if Miller out performs Petrucci (only 1 year contract with factory team) early he may get the nod next year?

With WSBK next week, I'm just hoping that someone can give Rae competition this year. They're changing rules left right and centre but no one can touch him.

paulF likes this.
  15. Davothegreat

What motivates Rae to stay in WSBK? Why not move to MotoGP? Ok, so his fill-in appearances for HRC a few years ago were ordinary but is he really not good enough or is it a case of being complacent as the big fish in the little pond? All it's doing is downgrading WSBK to only existing as a series for people who aren't good enough to compete in MotoGP.

16. oddshapes

Yeah, difficult to say as a bike fan, i'd like to see him move up to see how he compares to the best and make WSBK more exciting again.
    I guess playing devils advocate, he'd be on a very good wage, he's winning and breaking all the records so life for him probably isn't all that bad.

I did read an article some time back where (if i remember correctly) he said he would only consider moving to MotoGP if he got a factory ride. I cant see that becoming a reality, plus age is now probably against him.

Davothegreat likes this.
  17. oddshapes

Bautista in a different league!!

Only the first race but could this be the competition we all hope for against Rae? Here's hoping!

Davothegreat likes this.
  18. Nuncasuficiente

Nuncasuficiente Well-Known Member

Bautista against Rae will be very interesting I’d say it’ll take bau a good 1/4-1/2 of the season to get the most out of the SB but if he can be consistent in the meantime he has a shot imo.

In GP I hope Lorenzo is fast on the Honda as it will upset little Marc and open doors for himself the likes of Rossi, Vinales and Dovisiozo.
    Let’s assume Yamaha got their heads out of the sand and now have a bike that can be competitive across the whole year and with a new European test team led by Jonas Folger. Then Rossi and Vinales will be strong.

So many guys that could win races this year, Rins was very fast in the second half of 2018 and Miller was fast almost all year and now has a factory bike so Petrucci has to prove his worth early on a 1 year contract on the factory team or they will look at Miller or maybe Pecco bagnia for 2020.

As for Zarco I feel he is good enough to win a championship on the right bike but I feel it was a mistake for him to go to KTM. He will be getting very rich but at what cost? The bike is not a championship contender yet and that’s been evident in the tests. One day KTM will dominate Moto GP but I don’t think it’ll happen in the next two years.

Also going to be fun to watch Joan Mir on moto GP debut, he got the hang of the Moto 2 machine very quickly and is stupidly talented!

I’m exited.

Davothegreat and oddshapes like this.
  19. Gossamer

Gossamer Active Member

I am looking forward to the Marquez v Lorenzo battle.

Davothegreat likes this.
  20. oddshapes

OK, free practice and Qualifying over for round 1. The 'all new' Mav was impressive, I'm still not quite used to seeing him wearing number 12.
    Jack in 4th, brilliant work. Not sure if his race pace is there though.
    Poor Lorenzo got smashed all day, him and Rossi down the order.
    Zarco, on pole last year now 21st..... I really like Zarco, he gets his elbows out and doesn't mind rubbing paint but I think its going to be a long year for him.

And finally, how good is the batch of rookies this year? They have all been pretty impressive on their respective machinery.

Cant wait for the race now. My tip is Dovi, but would be equally happy with Mav taking the chequered flag. Not that I don't like him (I think he's brilliant) but just hoping Marc doesn't take early wins to keep the championship exciting and close.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia