Motivation

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jins13, 30th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

If not appropriate, please delete.

Wonder if taking this approach with tradies can ensure good, quality work. I recall Steve Jobs felt that to get the best out of you, it was good to shout and abuse you to make you perform better. I like to see it as stretching the rubber band abit more.

Than again you hear things like google who provides a nurturing environment to harness creativity.

Attached Files:

2. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

As a contractor, if any of my clients used shouting and abuse to motivate me, they wouldn't be clients for very long.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There are much better ways. If they require motivation, then you've failed as a project manager or client and provided the wrong brief or selected the wrong contractor.

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I prefer a nurturing environment where it's a win win situation, especially in the workplace when you spend more time with your collegues than your loved ones.

In regards to tradies, I have a set number of contractors who I use and even though had an experience of going through NCAT for a tradie where he didn't complete the job, delayed the job and didn't have a licence to complete some of the jobs, I think overall I didn't resort to shouting and abusing him. Feel there is no point in arguing with a *****.

5. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

From all accounts, Steve Jobs was a visionary, and a ****.

:)

6. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

IMHO, i think its all going to depend on how you assess the character of the other person and the situation. Some could be motivated and challenged by people who shouts at them. Some could be motivated by hearing simple words of encouragement or praise. I get motivated by my basketball coach every time he yells at me for making a mistake. But every time my boss at work starts raising his voice, oh boy i get annoyed really quick and nothing gets done after that. LoL..

7. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

In the "Office" (US version), Dwight gets motivated from a boss that is commanding and shouts.

8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I suppose abuse can work in a situation where the employee really wants to work there or doesn't have any employment alternatives.

When people do have alternatives, they won't take abuse for long.

I know someone who once started a new IT contract and on the first day realised she didn't like the work environment. She phoned the recruitment agent and didn't return from her lunch break.