Mother Teresa Sainthood

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by datto, 4th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Let's separate two things. We are talking about the sainthood being bestowed by the church on Mother Teresa. She was a good person, however probably naive in some ways, and like everybody else, made mistakes.

But the other thing is the church which is fast tracking the sainthood. It's this huge organisation which is making political capital. In a time when it's lost a huge amount of capital due to declining religiosity, allegations of corruption in high places, and paedophilia being exposed in the priesthood.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My brain hurts - I love it ;)

Beanie Girl likes this.
  3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Reusing syringes is gross. Has to be a miracle anyone survived her care. Surely someone would have told her.

Anyway, It's obvious the church has copped heaps lately especially over the touching kids up fiasco that went unabated for decades and the subsequent Royal Commission. So a new Saint should help it somehow.

To put the numbers in perspective, there are nearly 3 billion Christians in the world. The second running belief is only about half that. So the church is still pretty safe and well ahead at the turn......and by declaring a new Saint they may have gained a greater lead.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Who got the lucky door prize?

datto likes this.
  5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Is that entirely accurate though?

: "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

"In 2013, in a comprehensive review[13]covering 96% of the literature on Mother Teresa, a group of Université de Montréalacademics reinforced the foregoing criticism, detailing, among other issues, the missionary's practice of "caring for the sick by glorifying their suffering instead of relieving it, … her questionable political contacts, her suspicious management of the enormous sums of money she received, and her overly dogmatic views regarding, in particular, abortion, contraception, and divorce".

This one is my favourite, and if accurate, she deserved a public flogging as much as a sainthood.

"Mother Teresa encouraged members of her order to secretly baptise dying patients, without regard to the individual's religion...The sister was then to pretend that she was just cooling the patient’s head with a wet cloth, while in fact she was baptising him, saying quietly the necessary words. Secrecy was important so that it would not come to be known that Mother Teresa’s sisters were baptising Hindus and Muslims."
    There are also a hell of a lot of allegations of money being raised to supposedly help the poor but most being used to either fatten the Vatican bank accounts or.for missionary work instead.

Turning up for photo opps during disasters in India the doing bugger all and disappearing after,b flying around in private jets while claiming to be a champion of the poor.

Refusing medical care to dying patients because apparently the pain is jesus talking to you or someone insane sky clapping nonsense but when it.came to her own medical treatment getting it done by the best of the best and going the easy way out, in contradiction to her claims.

Accepting large donations and publicly supporting some really dodgy figures like the murderous, corrupt, drug dealing former pr3sident of haiti, large donations from 2 fraudsters, one of whom wiped out the savings of a lot of people and when found out he had dobated some of these people's stolen money to her, mother Teresa refused to return it.

Maybe she started off as a good or great person and lost her way. I know I n was shocked when I came across these allegations a few years ago and thought they may be completely unfounded
    , unfortunately doesn't look like it.

Like I said maybe she was a good person once but if even half t he above is accurate, maybe one of the other saints can resurrect her back to life, she be dug our of the ground and publicly flogged because those are she definitely had some traits of a pretty bad human being.

HUGH72, inertia, THX and 3 others like this.
  6. sanj

Anyone too rich to need treatment in her "churxh" but too poor to b e worth her soliciting money from.

datto likes this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

That is a seriously hateful/angry article! My views on the church and religion in general are pretty much on par with the authors' but one can't dismiss the fact that she did help thousands of people and even if she didn't , she inspires/inspired many to actually be good and help others.
    Would it have been better if she didn't help at all ?

Phar Lap, willair and WattleIdo like this.
  8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

In the 'about the author' section, he's self described as a, "Militant Atheist." Hardly an impartial source when discussing anything religious. It's very easy these days for people to criticize organized religion but those same establishments have brought a lot of benefit to the world.

To put it another way, they don't exactly hand out Nobel Peace prizes to just anyone. For all the criticism, justified or not, Mother Teresa did a heck of a lot of good. She's definitely more worthy of a sainthood than I am.

9. sanj

there are sufficient articles by people who wouldnt immediately be described as having inherent bias (eg like militant atheist) who have made similar claims to varying degrees.

im not anti religion and no one is discussing religion in general or what it has brought to the world.

obama got a peace prize too and more innocent civilians have died under his watch than most.

like i said i dont doubt she did good too but there's enough of a stench there that maybe it isnt such a forgone conclusion that she deserves sainthood.

as fo rher being more worthy than you or i or whoever, eddie mcguire could probably run faster than me, doesnt mean he should be challenging usain bolt.

HUGH72 and datto like this.
  10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I think I have Christopher Hitchen's book on her - "The Missionary Position" but I haven't read it yet.

The Missionary Position

11. sanj

IF, and i say IF, soime of the allegations are indeed correct then i dont quite agree with a simple meh, so what.

if someone from a minority religion came to australia, lets call it a muslim preacher,to help the disadvantaged and did an excellent job on the surface, then apparently was baptising people without their consent and being sneaky about it (i couldnt care less but some people clearly would), if that person was collecting huge sums from around the world on proviso of helping the poor but less than 10% went to charity, if that person made comments that appeared to have some weird schadenfreude like approach to the poor and their suffering, if that person despite collecting millions in donation had horrific conditions inher convents/hospitals/whateve, claimed the pain from lack of medication brought you closer to god and then when it came to being sick themselves got proper care and didnt choose the "closer to god option", if allllll of that happened, you'd just shrug it off?

datto likes this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

assuming what iread about her is true,she deserves every ounce of it

coukdnt think of anyone else who would be more deservign

13. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I'm more inclined to believe Hitchens viewpoint.

HUGH72 likes this.
  14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

These people are scrutinised meticulously before being made saints - that's where the term Devil's Advocate comes from. I can be pretty cynical. I choose to be cynical about this article. I read it last year when it was posted and won't touch it again. Mills and Boon makes for a better read.

15. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

For 1 million years plus the human condition has been the same.
    We all die. We all suffer.

But look what else is true.

We have been alive.

We have been alive in an existence that is so incredibly amazing and we had nothing to do with it.

Just think that 4.9 billion years have passed for the earth to evolve to where it has, and all we have been able to come up with is property investing in used poorly built properties. And this is our life's mission.

Well done son

16. Mick

Mick Well-Known Member

I reckon she should have been made a saint while she was still alive. Why do saints have to be dead before they qualify for sainthood?

TMNT likes this.
  17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Agree. Isnt part of giving someone a positive title or position is to let them know.

No point once you are dead.

18. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

That was thrown around quite a bit years ago. Her cannonization has been fast tracked as it is.

19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

That should be an interesting book to read Terry. Maybe you should get on top of it and let us know your thoughts lol.

Mick and Scott No Mates like this.
  20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

According to the Catholic Church, a saint is somebody who can intercede for you to God. They must be in heaven to do so. Therefore they must be dead first.

Normally something like 5 years is necessary before the process is started. This time was cut short for John Paul II and Mother Teresa.