Most people ..... Who should you listen too ?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by See Change, 21st Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Visiting a display home in each area has never been part of what I consider DD. I'm surprised that gullibility allows investing at all with all be bearish economic predictions in his media.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Totally concerning. When I didnt know anything I used the forum primarily to learn from other people who knew more than me. This is over many years! I was very quiet on the forum for a very long time.

Only more recently do I feel I am comfortable to give any sort of comments on a wider set of scenarios and topics etc as I have read and seen things in real life enough times to be able to point out an informed viewpoint.

JH doesn't seem to have that, I just hope other forumities take into account the credibility of each poster before they rely on any singular piece of advice.

And I do not wish to say I know everything. Absolutely still learning. :)

Last edited: 24th Jun, 2015
    Chabs likes this.
  3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Hi larry

Thanks for posting that .

I know many people on the forum have expressed concerns about johnhenry's posts . He doesn't appear to listen to the advice he is given coming up with an ongoing series of posts which show significant lack of insight into property investing .

I would have serious concerns about people acting on his advice without doing significant due diligence of their own , and even then I think he could be one of those people who should do the opposite of what ever he advises , eg steve keen , Philip soos etc

Cliff

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I'm a bit concerned with this thread. I don't disagree with the comments regarding the quality of information provided by certain individuals, but this thread is getting away from the issue of addressing how to recognise good advice, and is focusing on the comments of a single individual.

There is certainly valid points that some people build a reputation for themselves by shear volume of posts, despite many of those posts being what might be considered terrible information. The individual who's been names is just one of many and that list includes people operating in a professional capacity.

There's also members who post prolifically. Whilst these people aren't giving out bad advice, but they get more of a following because what they're saying is controversial, or amusing, or opinionated, or outright trolling. Again it seems that those who talk the most are the ones most heard, but often without any real consideration of what's being said, good or bad.

A new forum levels the playing field. New investors aren't going to see that some members have been walking the talk for 20+ years, they're going to pay attention to the idiot who posts 20+ times a day and any decent advice they give is simply piggybacking on the experiences of others. Shear volume of noise and a bit of eloquence in writing style counts for more than honest experience.

Personally I'd like to see the messages counter below peoples avatar removed. If a rating system must be implemented, replace it with some sort of rating based on the number of 'likes' divided by the actual number of posts. Frankly though, any rating system can be exploited, perhaps no rating system at all is what's required. Let people stand on the quality of what they say and the debate that follows and not how often they speak.

Ben Wilkie, aussieB, BLAIR_ and 9 others like this.
  5. See Change

I must admit I was more concerned when the thread was waylaid by interchanges between some long term forumites who were talking off topic , but I can't complain as I was one of them .:rolleyes:

It's hard to come up with a perfect system . Some sort of ratio score would be ok .

Is there a way to come up with two sorts of rating , one to rate " quality advice posts " and another " LMFAO" style likes . I know I do both .

How do you recognise the experience of posters like handy Andy and Keith J who are infrequent posters but are both highly experienced investors with HA being amongst the most successful around .

Do we have some sort of system where members can go in and rate other members ? But again that would be open to abuse .

One suggestion would be for sim appoint a " panel " of knowledgable , long term members who every so often would rate members in some fashion as a recognition of their experience , commitment etc.

Sim , are you listening ?

Cliff

Ben Wilkie likes this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The Falcon likes this.
  7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I couldn't find the survey data. I was hopping it would identify proportion of people surveyed that are owner-occupiers versus tenants.

8. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

That is a good start to have a great mentor! The next best opportunity for visitors and lurkers to PC is to get some of the resource available here! You could start a new thread and document the strategy and tactics your father took.
    :)

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

It will never be a perfect system as Seech says...but would you not ask questions of people on internet forum. Perhaps...the best way to check facts is to credential people...ask what they have achieved..and how long they have done things..and what they have done with property. If they only talk about successes..then they are not as experienced as one thinks...you need learn from mistakes to be truly successful. As one says..make mistakes quickly and fast..as you are that much closer to success..just don't repeat the same mistakes.

Yep...as I said above. Having said that....the old ways need to be refined constantly...new strategies eventuate...like everything you need to learn or tweak your ways. I am still learning..and improving...I want to fine tune this ...set stretch goals and set to achieve them. You will not be successful sitting on the sidelines.

10. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Maybe one day I will talk about his journey in more detail but I am more concerned about my journey and putting into action. I think my father's story would inspire people but need to get the time :).

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Or name people as Moderators? Moderators on SS were all people who can be trusted.

12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

There is one particular member who does this. They posted a lot, disappeared for a while, then came back.
    I'm sure you guys know who I'm referring to. Its mflying's best friend :p

The Falcon, Peter_Tersteeg and S.T like this.
  13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Who dat? At least a clue??

14. See Change

Ditto . If you don't want to out them , pm me

Cliff

15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Really? I thought it was a bit of a give away with me saying its mflying's best friend. LOL

Anyway, i think most of you are familiar with this thread.

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102591&page=7

If their comments/posts since this incident aren't
    "I 100% agree" or
    "Fantastic post"
    its simply rehashing the generic stuff that's been stated many times over.

16. See Change

Never read that thread and couldn't be bothered going through it all .

Certainly in the first pages everything seemed ok .. Flipped to the end ... Couldn't see the point of checking to see where it went pear shape .

Cliff

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2015
  17. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I don't think a rating system is necessary.

On SS, I got a load of green dots, and contributed probably bugger-all in content that was useful...mostly chatting and opinions and a bit of info from personal experience and observation.

Was never into starts and charts and so forth like others.

Further to that, I never looked at other folk's dots as a guide to their knowledge or forum worthiness.

I worked out who I thought had the goods (or not) through reading the threads and listening to their points of views and arguments etc.

A lot of times you have to read between the lines with what folks say as well.

You soon work out who's who.

For those who are new here and don't know me and trying to work me out - no BS, no PC and handwringing or bleeding heart stuff.

I'll tell it like I see it, sometimes a stronger view on things, but help anyone who wants it if I can give it.

Some will get offended...not trying to offend and aplogise in advance.

LIke Pete Tersteeg said earlier - probably a good idea not to show message counter...not a good indication of any knowledge or substance - look at me for eg!! :)

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2015
    OC1 and WattleIdo like this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I agree...I much prefer a system like Hunger Games or the Thunder Dome like Max...;)

19. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I was going to state to JH that , as a newbie, he had no place advising other newbies. Then I deleted it, thinking it was a bit too obviously rude from me. Thankfully someone else made the same point.

Tekoz likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.