Most of us are truly blessed.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 21st Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just saw quite a heart breaking thing while parked in my car waiting for the mrs. A man and his son were looking through one of those Vinnies boxes on the street (a main street too) ...the man was watching as his young son ( maybe 8 yrs old) was looking through and picking up toys..and showing his dad...then every few moments checking over his shoulders to see if others were watching...extremely heart breaking for me to watch...

Most of us truly are blessed here....we should be very grateful each day for all that we have and never take it for granted.

MikeyBallarat, TMNT, Adele and 15 others like this.
  2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Trying to drum that into my kids heads. They're not even spoiled compared to many kids but their attitude truly sucks sometimes. Might be time for a mission trip to Cambodia I think.

Colin Rice, tess_, hammer and 5 others like this.
  3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

When I was 20 I was eating breakfast at a university residential college. A friend asked me if I could be born again and become a completely random person, would I want to take that chance.

When I told him I wouldn't take that chance, he indicated that I was inherently risk adverse.

I suggested that I simply had some appreciation of how good I had it. We were:

1. White males
    2. Eating a good breakfast
    3. In Australia
    4. Studying at a place of higher education

I figured that given our circumstances at the time and the opportunities before us, we were better off than as much as 95%-98% of the planets population. We'd already hit the jackpot.

My life isn't perfect, but I am very, very fortunate.

4. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

I saw this the other day and it explains privilege very well.

Gladys, Colin Rice, Eric Wu and 11 others like this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

That legit made me cry.

Francesco, dmb1978, qak and 1 other person like this.
  6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Me too :(

Thanks DMB

dmb1978 likes this.
  7. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

It can be hard sometimes to appreciate how good we have it.. living in a first world country we can often still be miserable..

I believe the media (who idolatrise celebrities) and advertising (who ram down our throats rubbish we don't need) are the main cause of feelings of inadequacy..

Anyone else a fan of minimalism? :)

8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Thanks Leo, a reminder for gratitude <3

9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

What about us poor bogans who have to take 2 steps back for having a bad hair cut ? Or having a wardrobe full of flanno shirts? Or drive a 'dore with a mad stereo....doof doof.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Exactly, and what about the discrimination with face tattoos, where CEO and CFO jobs are completely out of reach, relegating the applicants to a life of poverty?

And, despite the fact that some serious dental surgery is required, even then no sympathy is provided to enhance their chosen career paths.

Ignoring their car choice and fashion sense, it's unbelievable really.

datto likes this.
  11. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

But truly, my sympathy is with the people who face persecution, chronic deprivation of justice by their governments and face mortal danger and violence. They are governed by a system that is oppressive, a level not seen in Australia.

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

One only has to jump on a plane and go OS for a while and see the massive amount of homeless on the streets -wages-property prices-then the costs of living in those different places ..

Most Australians would never have held up a mirror to their lives,and look just how good we have it in this country ...

vbplease likes this.
  13. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I disagree with the word 'bless'.

We can call it sheer luck, lottery but why bless?

datto likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I believe in blessings. I'm sure some others don't. That's their prerogative. Mine is to use the word 'blessing' because I am a person of a religious upbringing. Growing up I made the arrogant mistake many times to say "I will do this or I will achieve that etc". My dad was always quick to correct me by saying "by gods help". Now I don't want to turn this into a debate on religion etc. I am only explaining why I use the word blessing. Others can use whatever language they like .

RJS, Pentanol, Angel and 7 others like this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yeah it would really tough in Oz to get a CEO job or ministerial position with a facial tatt. Probably harder than if you were a woman.

Gladys and Ted Varrick like this.
  16. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Even with facial ink the CEO job could be yours if it's the position in a national tattoo franchise. I bet the CEO of a bank isn't going to get that job anytime soon.

Everyone living in Australia has opportunities which is what makes us fortunate. That doesn't mean we all have the same opportunities.

Last edited: 22nd Nov, 2017
    Francesco, trinity168 and datto like this.
  17. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

very blessed living in Australia, democracy (even it is npt perfect), freedom ( to a large extent), free health care to everyone, good education (even with HECS, kids can still get into Uni if they wish, many countries don't have these kind of government assistance), and the freedom to live where you want (legally).

RJS, Angel, Francesco and 5 others like this.
  18. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

We sure are.

You don't have to go to a Bangladeshi refugee camp for perspective either..

My sister in law lived in the US. She'd just changed jobs and her insurance was a few weeks from kicking in. She got a pain in her chest, turned out to be liver cancer and now didn't have the insurance to deal with it. 4 months later she was dead.

Then there's the "bad" parts of town. It's not like here where there's a higher crime rate and unmowed grass and lots of commodores.....they've got guns and people get shot. All the Time.

Oz isn't perfect, but we have it pretty good compared to most places.

Angel, Francesco, vbplease and 2 others like this.
  19. Kate Hill

Kate Hill Active Member

I agree Eric and I feel it when I travel overseas. It's good to see why we are comparatively lucky in this country. Visiting some countries makes me embarrassed about what I complain about here. I think they call it first world problems...

Eric Wu likes this.
  20. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Respect.
    Well said.
    God bless

Francesco, Pentanol and Sackie like this.