Mortgage Broking Business - part time

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Aaron Duffie, 29th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Aaron Duffie

Aaron Duffie Well-Known Member

Interested to hear from anyone who operates their own mortgage broking business with a mortgage aggregator who is also employed part time or even full time.

It’s obviously easier to be a full time broker but can it be done part time and are there any reputable mortgage aggregators out there with low entry costs?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Id say its not a sustainable model on a part time basis

Transition to full time with a good mentor group, but not suited to a side hustle

ta

rolf

Jess Peletier likes this.
  3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

When I started I took a casual job to make ends meet for about a year. The brokers I've mentored also had a second job for a period of time.

If you're halfway successful, it becomes a full time job. If you're not in it full time after 2 years, you need to ask yourself what you're doing. The days of mortgage broking part time as a bit of extra income are long gone.

The last time I looked (and it's been 3 years) a non-franchise aggregator costs less than $1k to join. The problem is you've then got all the other costs. Licensing, compliance, insurance, professional memberships, training, etc. Start up costs probably run to about $15k - $20k these days and most of these costs are ongoing, before you write a single loan.

Hence not really being a side gig these days.

Last edited: 29th May, 2019
    Terry_w and Simon Moore like this.
  4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    I think you’ll find that it’s quite a bit more work than many think. These days the compliance requirements are quite time consuming . You’d want a second income source and plenty of spare time to try and get up and running part time

5. MC1

MC1 Well-Known Member

Part time will work if you're looking to run a business at a loss purely to offset tax for another business you run

Tom Simpson likes this.