Mortgage Brokers - single or joint names?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Azazel, 26th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

No. Getting another in a single name after you've done stuff in joint names can be a massive problem.

Hence my original comments:
    * You can start by doing things separately, but as you get close to individual limits, you can do things jointly to extend everything a little further.
    * Once you do start doing things jointly, be prepared to keep doing it that way forever.

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Joint loans is fine.
    Wondering about 1 name on the actual contract as well.

3. Philbie

Philbie Member

Do all banks do this when you purchase a property in your own name when you already have properties & loans in joint names? I mean, assess the full debt (existing)at assessed rates (circa 7.5% i believe) and generally 1/2 of the assessable rental income (circa 75%), effectively only using 37.5% of rental income? Would they then assess your cost of living as a "couple" or treat you as a "single" (provided you live with your partner). I can see why they would do this

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2015
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

One or two lenders will assess borrowers on their 'share' of the other debts they have. You will still be assessed as married/defacto unless you are not. But some lenders can assess you on their single living expense if your spouse is self supporting.

Philbie likes this.