Morrisons 250mill on facial recognition ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by random, 30th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. random

random Well-Known Member

What other country has this , any idea , if any ?
    They say London is mothered in cameras yeah but do they have all their little sheeps faces and info stashed away on their computer ?
    Don't know but in a way l could see The Libs lighting up near the start of all this knowing all the things they could do now under a Covid guise.
    Facial recondition sounds as good as their sheep bar coded and chipped to me. Bloody scary ****. And what a stupid bloody time to blow 250million bucks on something like that.

Yet haven't heard one back lash as yet l'm just prayin Aussies and media wanna get up about their freedom and rights on this too and not just covid lock downs. Most weren't dumb enough to trust the app but l'll bet you this just goes straight over their heads.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I assume you're talking about this:
    Australian government introduces $250million facial recognition to access Centrelink benefits dole | Daily Mail Online

The Daily Mail isn't my favourite source, but there aren't many sources online.

Australia has been using facial recognition for immigration for years. It's a part of the identity validation of people as they enter the country. It's been used in other applications to verify identity.

The proposed system is about validating identities for people using government services online. It's going to make it safer for you to make tax enquiries, to enrol to vote, or to apply for welfare payments.

Accessing myGov uses two factor authentication ATM, which relies on you having your phone. It's still liable to fraud - somebody with your phone could still access your services especially if the phone had a password stored. And accessing services from overseas can be a real pain.

The proposed system will make it much safer and reliable.

There is nothing in there about mass surveillance - though I'm sure other systems are already around to do this. And probably in many countries. The horse has bolted.

But if you're worried about mass surveillance, no probs. Wear a mask. It will make the job much harder for them.

craigc, thatbum and BunnyXiao like this.
  3. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I don’t know why governments are so intent on surveillance of their people. Next they will be rolling out the social credit system as is per CCP.
    Sorry, I don’t want to sound conspiracy theory, but many nations are actively rolling out all this electrification technologies whether we want it or not. Are leaders getting together in inner sanctum
    rooms at UN conferences and planning this stuff.

random likes this.
  4. random

random Well-Known Member

Exactly what l thought.
    And l'm not sure about other countries but they've got us on our damn license anyway but if they wanna spend another 250 mil on it you could just imagine how much further that's gonna go.
    Just more big brother tag the sheep bs if you ask me Geoff My Gov or not. l mean how often is someone gonna get hold of our phones anyway and even if they do on mine that tht won't get them far they'd still need my computer, passwords, accounts and the works. Total overkill but anyone thinking it's just about Centerlink and stops there is pretty bloody naive.
    Terrorism's also given them more excuses unfortunately.

Last edited: 30th Sep, 2020
    MWI and Serveman like this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

That is the main "social safety" line used by facial rec sellers - including my former day job place use to sell the tech.

A mask won't be a problem for good software - it'll need to be a mask, sunglasses and (loose) hoody. Features such as distance between eyes, distance between tips of ears etc are unique to a person. "Facial rec" is actually a misnomer - these days it is "body rec" - measure stuff like distance between joints, your gait etc - much harder to hide.

The Y-man

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Welcome to the New World Order, Facial Rec is already here for everyone. Updated your Drivers License recently? Passport? I renewed both last year.

It was introduced to my workplace at the start of this year. At the start we could opt out and still do daily timesheets, but I wanted to lift my Social Credits with the HR lady, so I opted in. We call the machine "Karen" and she is very grumpy. Half the time it doesn't register anyway.

BunnyXiao, wylie and Serveman like this.
  7. random

random Well-Known Member

Yeah l know , but eh it makes me feel a little bit better.
    We need to track our pollies if anything if it's getting ripped off through Centerlink people they're so concerned about. Pollies are the biggest public money rip of scam artists of the lot what they scam us for makes anything else pale. Well , apart from big business and the rich not paying any tax.

Last edited: 30th Sep, 2020
  8. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

It's here in China. Actually, I don't mind it for temp scanning. And most airports do face scanning as well. And whilst I don't like it its everywhere in a less open format as others have said in your phone they can track you everywhere any time, your tax number, social security number, phone number, drivers lic, medicare. just people get their hackles up when it's open but when hidden people rail less. I guess I'm going to have to wear a tinfoil hat, make my own country, or run away to East Europe later when I'm over it all

9. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I don't think this particular use of it is anything to be concerned about but I do like it's being openly discussed like this. Freedom of speech is so damn important.

MWI and random like this.
  10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The funny thing is, most democracies with good governance will tender out the project (in a transparent process) and usually give the project to the lowest bidder. This means the product you get is a bit inferior in terms of capability, speed and features (of course the initial bid will contain the features but they will be pared back in actual functionality) ..... so it probably won't work too well anyway....

The Y-man

11. random

random Well-Known Member

Well that's great then you made my day yman . l'll be hoping he's not only cheap but doesn't have a clue either haha.

12. random

random Well-Known Member

Maybe l can tag along :D:D:D

13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Aren't one of this year's BLOCK contestants using facial rec to be able to unlock the front door of their house ?

As usual it will blow out to far more than the excessive amount proposed and be an inferior product......

Then by the time we actually have it installed and working it will be so outdated :confused:

Just wait 2 years and buy the updated version for half this cost :p

14. random

random Well-Known Member

Block , dunno can't stand the show but eh , all good news to my ears then.
    l think it's settled though, they should just give the 250mill to me instead then.

15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Interestingly, some studies into the effectiveness of temperature screening at airports (for SARS) have concluded it was largely ineffective.

Body temperature screening to identify SARS-CoV-2 infected young adult travellers is ineffective

Similarly, temperature scanners in schools detected pretty much zero cases of SARS ... although they admit the scanning process did have a positive psychological effect for parents and children

Mandatory temperature monitoring in schools during SARS

I'm aware of some large office buildings here in Sydney which now have temperature scanners at the entrance.

They would be pretty much useless for detecting COVID (asymptomatic spreaders!), and it seems they may be largely ineffective for detecting other viruses too.

It would be better to do general facial recognition for contact tracing - especially in schools and large office buildings.

Redwing likes this.
  16. BunnyXiao

Coffee shop intellectual conversations that change nothing but if it helps people to vent. ..But I see nothing for it as governments everywhere of every ilk love this stuff whether hidden or obvious. Seems people like the hidden stuff more in the sense they complain less. Human logic is interesting.

17. random

random Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth.

18. BunnyXiao

Here's how the tech actually works here. I'm supposed to now Ding Ding into work now post Covid. Its a sort of online punch card that has ****** off most Chinese and expats here as we never used it but now it's required in all sorts of workplaces. So for the first two weeks we used it. The trouble is all tech requires policing if you introduce it. So as our expat bosses think it's ridiculous too its not policed. Sometimes i check-in, sometimes I check out, sometimes I do both other times not at all anarchist that I am as a Kinder teacher ha!. In China as long as you look like you play the game all a ok. In reality, we don't have the willingness or resources to police it

The green health code scan. Awesome. If you can find it on your all Chinese app. So every now and then I get a friend to find it for me and take a screenshot. Then I show that everywhere all over the country rather than show the local authorities where im pinging in from. Haha not problems. And before you go nuts we get temp scanned with guns and face scanners everywhere. And my work the school nurse scans us every day as well as the security gards every day

Fingerprint scans to open the main security door to my apartment. Sometimes work but many times don't. I'm making my own theory that its because my fingerprint is caucasian not Asian the system has been tested on. Probably wrong but hey it's my random theory. So after about 7 times of scanning, I get Slavic and kick the door several times and then rip it open with my gym girl arms no problems

Benefits of phone number tracking...unlike say Australia where I go insane proving that I am me calling fro my phone to prove I am me to many authorities....here, no problems. We get everything delivered as life is totally online here. So I get my fancy groceries delivered but one was missing so no problems I call and they tell me where my order is and there the next day no problems no worries as my phone number is attached to my account and app.

So I really don't mind tech so much. And I love we don't use paper money here. Now let the debate rage - please keep racist remarks to a minimum or better yet not at all ;-)

19. random

random Well-Known Member

That's a lot of stuff. Yet they can do it with a billion people or whatever it is huh , big wow.
    But yep for sure the ID thing here drives you insane but l still don't want them having anymore on me than they have already don't forget there's only 4 people in Aus:rolleyes: , so l like what privacy l can get. Mind you , they'd still need a bloodhound to find any one of us 4 though anyway ha ha, God bless hopeless Governments.

20. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Welcome to the movie 'The Net' starring Sandra Bullock from 1995 (didn't take that long into reality?:(). Any identity can be changed, altered, stolen and so on....once stored somewhere in the database.
    Who will control the data????