Moreton bay

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ethantheeel, 20th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ethantheeel

Ethantheeel Active Member

I am really learning a lot from reading and corresponding on this site. Has really changed my thinking. When I first starting looking at investing in Brisbane I really liked the coastal suburbs in Moreton Bay extending from Manly through to just north of Wellington Pt. Like the look of the house and townhouses on real estate.com. Would appreciate people thoughts.

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yep, what thoughts would you like....

That strip is all nice, Wynnum and Manly pretty popular, Lota not as much so just yet, then Tinglapa creek is the border for next council area, where you have Thorneside, Birkdale, Wellington Pt etc

Thorneside to Wellington is a great spot, really nice look and feel, popular for families that want a quiet existance, but I think that will all become as popular as Wynnum, Many, Lota in the near future.

Basically all those areas are 20k from CBD to drive, all have the train line near the coast.

Wynnum West and Manly West , Tingalpa also all popular.

What else do you want to know ?

3. flightcrank

flightcrank Active Member

alexandra hills + capalaba also look like nice areas

4. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

Grew up in birkdale, and think that strip from thorneside to wello pt is definitely worth a look. Have property in birkdale, Cleveland and Victoria pt, very tight vacancies in all 3 suburbs, and high yield in comparison to Melbourne properties anyway

Eric Wu likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

They are lovely areas, with trains, laid back feel in Thorneside to Wellington Point which I love (I hope it can stay like that!) Nothing wrong with continuing onto Cleveland but its just a few more train stops away and Cleveland itself feels too busy for me. As an Investor I'd try to pick up a freestanding house on level land (800+ sqm if you can) with water views around the 500k mark. Doesn't have to be a great house but it should be sound. For OO, I'd budget up to 700k, get something in a really good position.
    While lots of people are looking up North with the Moreton Bay train line at the Redcliffe Peninsula here's your opportunity to buy on the quiet... :)

6. Jacob Field

Jacob Field Well-Known Member

Moreton Bay has the most traffic/interest by investors using our research platform. #1 by a decent margin. This was logan for the first half of 2015, but as we got closer to 2016 things shifted to Moreton.

There are some suburbs that have a strong bias towards owner occupiers but generally we see the follow suburbs as a great starting point for investor backed demand/growth in the short/med term:

Low Socio (relative to the council area)- Deception Bay (Avoid areas of high public housing, look for the sweet spots in the south)
    Mid Socio - Morayfield + Caboolture South (Avoid O/O enclaves, new supply risks and public housing at a street level)
    Highish (Still under $500k) - Mango Hill, into Redcliffe and Griffin

Jacob

joe2030 and Taku Ekanayake like this.
  7. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Hi @Ripehouse.com.au,
    Is this info I highlighted in bold available to admin only or can subscribers also get access to this data?

8. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

Jacob - It would be good if people from Ripehouse would actually return the calls of existing customers....just saying.

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  9. Ethantheeel

I see you have a property in Victoria Point. I have a friend who has recently moved there. How is your property going and would you suggest it's a good place to by looking for a good rental yield not outrageous, low vacancy and capital gain in the next 5-7 years.

10. Ethantheeel

Opin
    Opinion of Victoria Point?

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If your asking me, I cannot say much, bit far away from city at the moment maybe.

12. Natedog

Have had the property just over 12 months, just increased the rent and from what I see if I had to lease to a new tenant the vacancy period would be negligible. I obviously personally think there's value in buying there, other may not. My holding plan is 10years approx. I bought under market value off a vendor that needed to sell

13. Ethantheeel

If I bought a 10-20yr old property 4 beds nice family home in Vic point and rented it for say $450 a week with a plan of keeping it for 5 yrs at least. What do you think would be out of pocket expenses and outcome be like?

14. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

What's the buy in price? Worth doing the cashflow analysis on the purchase to see what it will cost you per annum

15. Ethantheeel

Looking at a number between 390 and 450k

16. Natedog

If you can get a 4 bed 2 bath 15-20 year old house for sub $430k and rent for $450 per week, using depreciation it won't cost a lot out of pocket. As for how the capital growth will be 5-10 years? I am hoping it's decent :)

17. Ethantheeel

Think I might do it. Have found a few I like. Got a friend looking at 3 tomorrow.
    I

18. Natedog

Get as close to the bay as possible, further from the big shopping precinct there, but long term may be better, nice cool bay breezes :)

19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree.

20. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi Natedog, what's the reason for further away from the shopping centre?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia